Advice needed: Compool automation system - upgrade or replace?

poolnovice1

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I have a 15 yr old old Compool automation system. A few of the switches don't seem to be working in the service mode -- not a big deal because it doesn't impact day to day functioning. But I'm getting a new pool/spa heater and replacing my non-functioning fiber optic lights with LEDs, so I figured I should get the automation system replaced.

I had two guys come by for quotes:
- First guy says to leave it alone if it isn't broken. Or he can do an easytouch (wireless) upgrade with screenlogic which would cost me about $2k.
- Second guy says to replace the automation system. I'm quoted about $4.5K with tax for a Jandy RS-PS8.

I honestly didn't expect it to cost so much to replace it. What do you guys think I should do? Upgrade, replace, or leave it alone until it breaks?

You can get a full blown IntelliCenter i10PS with, load center, 2 IntelliValves, and IntelliChlor for under $3k. This includes the ScreenLogic equivelant and the ability to control all the newer equipment. If you need less than that the i8PS and i5PS are less than that.

I don't know but here is the way I see it.
3k for IntelliCenter and you get on top of the controller.
1x Web Access/Mobile/Watch = $0
2x IntelliValve Actuators = $0
1x IntelliChlor w/Transformer = $0
------------------------------------------
Total: $2999

So to get to the same thing with the ET upgrade you have
1x Compool upgrade kit = $580
1x ScreenLogic - Web Access/Mobile = $520
2x IntelliValve Actuators = 2 x $185 = $370
1x IntelliChlor w/Transformer = $1,100
-------------------------------------------
Total: $2570

To buy an entire ET4 system you would pay
1x IntelliChlor w/Transformer = $0
2x CV24 Automated valves = $0
1x ScreenLogic = $0
-------------------------------------------
Total: $1950

So to get the most recent tech where you can do firmware updates without sending in your board, the accessories are cheaper, and there is much greater capability you have a difference of ~$400. If you don't need a shared pool/spa system or only 5 circuits the i5P is $2250. I didn't look for the cost of the i8P/S but I assume it is somewhere between $2250 and $2999. Heck a new i5P is only ~$400 difference from a full panel and you get 1 more aux circuit, and a whole lot more features, schedules, and equipment support. Then if additional equipment is added you can download the firmware and do an update.

We are not comparing apples to apples..

You have to include the cost of the install.. For the upgrade, it will be about $2K

For a new IntelliCenter it will be around $4.5K or so..

Is the IntelliCenter better? Yes it is.. Only you can say if it is $2 grand better.. For me it is not. I could update my EasyTouch to the new IntelliCenter, but I would gain nothing of importance that my system does not do already..

That said.. If I were building a new pool today, then for sure I would install an IntelliCenter rather than an EasyTouch..

I suggest that you get an actual quote on an installed IntelliCenter and then you can make an informed decision.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That is a < 1/2 day of work to replace that panel regardless of which panel you choose. If the electrician is quoting more than that then I question whether they know what they are doing. I don't do this stuff for a living but I have installed 2 IntelliCenters, 1 IntelliTouch, and a Jandy RS-8/PDA.

The RS eventually got replaced with an IntelliCenter after my friend got frustrated with the delays on the remote. The comms are not 2 way on that thing so sometimes you hit the button and there would be a delay for status to update. Hit it once and don't see a change then your reaction is to hit it again which negates the command you just sent it. I could see the frustration and it drove his wife nuts. Imagine you hit the button to turn on the spa jets and crickets while the panel thinks about it for a bit and things spin up at the pad. So you hit the button again then the jets turn on. Then you start walking toward the spa and they magically go off. No kidding. It would turn her into a sailor. I probably shouldn't have egged her on though.

Is upgrading just replacing the interface of the system? If so, I'm just worried about upgrading and then a few years later I need to replace the whole thing.
Doesn't make sense to me; it's just that's what the second guy said. He said for a few thousand more I'm better off just replacing it. I guess a few thousand bucks doesn't matter to some people but it does to me.

pn1,

The question I have for you is... Did your ComPool do everything you expected when it was new??? Other than being able to control things with your PC, Phone, or Tablet, what is it that you want your new automation to do, that your old ComPool did not do???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure what equipment you have but if it is Pentair, I would recommend you don't traverse down the Jandy road. If the equipment is Jandy then I wouldn't go down the Pentair road. While the automation data is similar there are enough differences that it will drive you crazy. Part of what should be driving your decision is which LED lights are you choosing. I suspect you are getting color changing lights.

I must admit I am embroiled in Tech and you should take any advice I give you with that lens in mind. Heck I can manage my entire house from my phone. That being said, if you are OK flipping a switch on and off up to 14 times (depending on the LED lights you are buying) for changing the color of your lights then you can probably continue to use your ComPool. Really, they are kind of gimmicky anyway. You will probably find yourself picking a specific theme or color and leaving them there anyway.

pn1,

The question I have for you is... Did your ComPool do everything you expected when it was new??? Other than being able to control things with your PC, Phone, or Tablet, what is it that you want your new automation to do, that your old ComPool did not do???

Thanks,

Jim R.
The compool was already in there when I bought the house a few years ago. It does just fine. Wireless would be nice but not a must. The feeling I got when I was talking to the repair guys is that the system typically lasts for about 10 years and that mine will breakdown and need replacing soon.

I'm not sure what equipment you have but if it is Pentair, I would recommend you don't traverse down the Jandy road. If the equipment is Jandy then I wouldn't go down the Pentair road. While the automation data is similar there are enough differences that it will drive you crazy. Part of what should be driving your decision is which LED lights are you choosing. I suspect you are getting color changing lights.

I must admit I am embroiled in Tech and you should take any advice I give you with that lens in mind. Heck I can manage my entire house from my phone. That being said, if you are OK flipping a switch on and off up to 14 times (depending on the LED lights you are buying) for changing the color of your lights then you can probably continue to use your ComPool. Really, they are kind of gimmicky anyway. You will probably find yourself picking a specific theme or color and leaving them there anyway.
The guy wants to put Jandy everything in - heater, lights, automation system. The pumps and filter (which I am not replacing) are Pentair.

The guy wants to put Jandy everything in - heater, lights, automation system. The pumps and filter (which I am not replacing) are Pentair.

Jandy gives builders a good deal to get their equipment installed. Installing Jandy is in his best interest, not yours.

Lots of us are getting rid of our Jandy stuff and installing Pentair.

Stick with your Pentair equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.