Adding Salt?

And run the pump for 24 hours to mix it all in. Start up the SWG after you reach your target salt level.

Recently added 22 40lb bags of Morton Pool salt. I place two or three bags by the edge of the deep end and slit the bag so the salt trickles out. When bag about half empty I pick it up and walk around the edge of the pool emptying the rest. Brush the bottom of the pool where the salt pools to get it mixed. Repeat and test as needed.

What is good test kit to test the salt in the pool? The SWG has been showing red and says to add salt. added a bag last night and just threw a cup full in to the pool at a time instead of dumping whole bag in at once. I did not know to turn off the SWG for 24 hours, will do that next time I add salt.

So I just learned from personal experience. Don’t add all the salt at once! I had test strips and just put in a new SWG. The brand new pack of strips with a 2019 expiration date read 700.

i wanted to go to 3000 to be conservative because the strips are +-400. After adding the salt and installing the swg the readout read 4100ppm. The next 3 test strips read 3200. In hindsight I should have kept 2 bags in reserve. So the pool got drained by 10% now the swg reads 3800.

Use Taylor K-1766 to test salt.

i dump it in and get in pool, kicking it around and brushing. Doesn’t take very long to dissolve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the proper salt test - or - gasp - take a sample to a pool store and see what they get for a salt content (but still get a test kit for the future). If your IC?? is showing low salt and you have a proper salt content in the pool, you may have a bad flow switch. Somewhat common in the Pentair IC. If under warranty Pentair will replace. If not under warranty, then you can get aftermarket flow switches for around $60 and they are easy to replace.

Can you update what SWCG you have?

Take care.

Get the proper salt test - or - gasp - take a sample to a pool store and see what they get for a salt content (but still get a test kit for the future). If your IC?? is showing low salt and you have a proper salt content in the pool, you may have a bad flow switch. Somewhat common in the Pentair IC. If under warranty Pentair will replace. If not under warranty, then you can get aftermarket flow switches for around $60 and they are easy to replace.

Can you update what SWCG you have?

Take care.

It’s model IC15.

It’s model IC15.

Yikes. WAY undersized. You will need to add LC every day during the summer even if you run the pump 24 hours per day with the SWCG set at 100%.

Please update your signature with the SWCG size.

Take care.

An IC15 is rated to generate 0.6 pounds of CL each 24 hour period if run continuously at 100% generation. That would put 3.6 ppm FC into your 20k gal pool each 24 hour period.

We here at TFP recommend using a SWCG that is rated for a minimum of 2X your pool volume. In NY, that will be sufficient. So the IC40 (Pentair rated for 40K gallons) meets that criteria.

Do you have automation? There are cheaper/better warranty SWCG's out there but if you have Pentair automation you will need to stay with a Pentair SWCG. You do need to have a timer for the SWCG (if you do not have automation) as you must never have power to the SWCG when the pump is off.

Take care.

An IC15 is rated to generate 0.6 pounds of CL each 24 hour period if run continuously at 100% generation. That would put 3.6 ppm FC into your 20k gal pool each 24 hour period.

We here at TFP recommend using a SWCG that is rated for a minimum of 2X your pool volume. In NY, that will be sufficient. So the IC40 (Pentair rated for 40K gallons) meets that criteria.

Do you have automation? There are cheaper/better warranty SWCG's out there but if you have Pentair automation you will need to stay with a Pentair SWCG. You do need to have a timer for the SWCG (if you do not have automation) as you must never have power to the SWCG when the pump is off.

Take care.

Thanks for the info.

I do not have automation. I do not have a timer on the SWG. Did not know its needs to be off when the pump is off. its on 24 hours day. maybe that is part of my issue to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.