Adding Salt?

The issue with leaving power to a SWCG without water flowing through it if something fails in the electronics the cell can explode.

Get that fixed ASAP.

Automation allows you to set schedules for your pump plus manage your SWCG. Also adjust valves, remotely start a spa, turn on/off lights, etc. Now, you do not have a pump that can be managed with automation. You would have to get an Intelliflo for that with your IC15.

As this is above ground I would have to say automation will not give you much.

Go the Pentair website and review the EasyTouch automation.

Take care.

I dont have automation but i did go to salt this march if you have a timer like a intermatic clock type for your pump that is where you would wire the swcg to so if your pump is on so is swcg
as for new swcg check into circupools rj40 also at check out they are offering a 1$ upgrade to the next sized cell

ok for above ground is different some what but circupools is not automated so mabe you can make it work for you

Do you have automation? There are cheaper/better warranty SWCG's out there but if you have Pentair automation you will need to stay with a Pentair SWCG. You do need to have a timer for the SWCG (if you do not have automation) as you must never have power to the SWCG when the pump is off.

Heed Marty's advice.

I have the IC40, and it works great, and integrates well with my other Pentair equipment, especially my EasyTough automation and my new IntellipH. But if you don't have automation, and don't ever plan on getting automation, there are brands of SWGs that are cheaper, have a much better warranty, and will work better in your system. There are models that have a clear housing, so you can keep an eye on the workings of the SWG. SWGs wear out. When the IC40 does, you must replace the entire unit. Other brands allow you to replace just the components that actually wear out. And the IC40 allows adjusting of its output in only 20% increments (0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100%). With automation, you can adjust an IC40 in 1% increments. Other brands don't have this restriction.

So again, if you think you'll ever upgrade to Pentair automation, stick with a Pentair SWG. Otherwise, shop around for a better model, starting with advice and threads here at TFP...

Oh, if you do catch the automation bug: there are models of the Pentair EasyTouch system that come with the IC40, along with its transformer built in to the EasyTouch housing. It's what I'd buy if I had it to do again... It's a better value, and a cleaner, simpler installation (no big clunky transformer box to mount somewhere and have to look at).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what will automation do for me?

With an above ground pool and single speed pump? Not much. If you upgraded to a variable speed pump and properly sized SWCG you would then manage your pump schedule and SWCG setting via the automation. Not a big advantage, but that is what it could do.

With an above ground pool and single speed pump? Not much. If you upgraded to a variable speed pump and properly sized SWCG you would then manage your pump schedule and SWCG setting via the automation. Not a big advantage, but that is what it could do.

Looking in to upgrading to a IC 40. its around $200 more to get automation. might be worth it now to pay that more and down road when get pump that works on it.

I doubt it is only $200 for an Easytouch automation vs an IC40 replacement cell. Check your sources.

An IC40 replacement cell ( you do not need the power center - the one you have with the IC15 works with the IC40) should be about $600. So for an additional $600, you get the Easytouch.

Up to you.

An IC40 replacement cell ( you do not need the power center - the one you have with the IC15 works with the IC40) should be about $600. So for an additional $600, you get the Easytouch.

Up to you.

the deal I have worked out with pool installer. I am going to give him the IC15 back and then he is giving back the cost of the IC15. then going to use that towards a IC40. IC 40 is $890 890-460 = $430. with automation added to it would be $300 more. trying to figure out if $300 more to get automation is worth it.

trying to figure out if $300 more to get automation is worth it.

What are you going to use the automation for? If you just use it as a fancy fixed timer system, then no. You can do the same with mechanical timers.

Do you need to go to some inconvenient location to turn things on or off? Does not look like you have a heater to turn on or off or adjust the temp of.

In your case it would be sure your SWCG is powered down when your pump is off. It would also act as a timer for your single speed pump.

What is good test kit to test the salt in the pool? The SWG has been showing red and says to add salt. added a bag last night and just threw a cup full in to the pool at a time instead of dumping whole bag in at once. I did not know to turn off the SWG for 24 hours, will do that next time I add salt.
I’m using a TDS meter, such as this one:
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

3-Button Digital TDS Meter/Thermometer with Automatic Calibration, Temperature Button and Leather Case

https://www.homedepot.com/p/206466760

It works for me and it’s very convenient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.