Adding muriatic acid to in ground pool w/ vinyl liner

Jun 1, 2007
Harrisburg, PA
I have an E65 system with the fingers and after I bump it, are you supposed to wait at all before you turn the pump back on? I usually bump it 6-8 times, then when I turn back on you can sometimes see a little DE out of the one return, and this same return has some air bubbles coming out of it. Not bad, but it's been this way for a while. Other return futher away, no bubbles...

Re: Adding muriatic acid to in ground pool w/ vinyl liner

I have 13,000 gallon in ground. 2 returns, 2 skimmers. Hayward gold colored pump that's from 2006, runs good. How long should I be running? I think I have it from 2pm-10pm now.

I have the same size pool as you, 2 hours is fully sufficient for daily run time.
It's been set that way the last 3 years. no issues.

You have to determine run time based on heat demand from heater or chlorination generated by a SWCG. If neither are present. 4 total hours is fine to disperse liquid chlorine that you are manually dosing.

I don't have a heater. Just a hayward E65 De filter, hayward pump and hayward chlorinator that I put in one hockey puck tablet a week aprox.

I have the same size pool as you, 2 hours is fully sufficient for daily run time.
It's been set that way the last 3 years. no issues.

Wait, only 2 hours???

I want to use this instead of the pool place stuff. I was told don't use with a vinyl liner. But if I mix into a 5 gallon bucket this should be fine right and pour by the water returns?

Also, My pool returns are aimed UP, so I can see the water moving. My pool place said the returns are supposed to be aimed DOWN! I've never done this. I like to see the water moving and it gets debris into the skimmers faster I think. thoughts on both?

Also, what a deal! 2x 1 gallon jugs for $10:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2x1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid-2118-HD/100119310

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always added the MA straight from the jug into the deep end walking around the pool pouring the liquid straight down.

My jets move the water toward the skimmer on the opposite side of the pool, but don’t break the surface of the water, only move the water.

The safest and best way to add MA is to pour from the jug into the return stream from the pump. Slowly. If you need to measure the amount, use a plastic measuring device and pour from the MA jug into the measuring device as close to the water surface as possible.

I strongly recommend not diluting the acid in a bucket first. Double handling is risky, and you MUST pour the acid into a larger amount of water.

If you wish after pouring the acid use your brush to push the water around in that area. The acid will disperse rapidly.

- - - Updated - - -

My returns are aimed up too as I fight high TA fill water. So I want the slight aeration that provides.

Otherwise, it really does not matter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

One tablet a week is nowhere near enough chlorine for your pool.

Also, I think you've hijacked this thread enough. If you have further questions start your own thread please. thank you.

Wow... I saw this title and got excited because I am going to be adding MA this week for the first time and had the same question. After reading this, I still don’t know the answer.

How do I add it safely and how long does the pump need to run after adding it?

Wow... I saw this title and got excited because I am going to be adding MA this week for the first time and had the same question. After reading this, I still don’t know the answer.

How do I add it safely and how long does the pump need to run after adding it?

See post #7. Run pump 15-30 minutes after adding to mix.

Re:  Adding muriatic acid to in ground pool w/ vinyl liner

Ok, so just got water tested. Ph 8.1.

Got the acid from Home Depot, 31%. Poured 1 pint into my pool, 13,000 gallons. Instructions on label said 1 pint at a time I think.

How long do I wait to test again and think 1 pint will do it? I poured the pint into a 5 gallon bucket filled with pool water, then poured bucket into deep end of vinyl liner pool near jet, then turned the jet to face down....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.