Adding liquid chlorine sodium hcl with Triclor pucks in skimmer

You shouldn't even be shocking weekly. If you have algae, the proper treatment is the SLAM Process. A weekly megadose of chlorine just because it seems like a good idea is like taking a laxative once a week whether or not you're constipated.

If it's dangerous, no, not if you pour the liquid into the return stream and let it dilute and disperse.

Now let's go back and talk about pucks in the skimmer. Number one, pucks raise CYA levels. Do you need to raise your CYA? If not, why are you using pucks? Number two, pucks are very acidic. If you set them in the skimmer and the pump shuts off, you're creating a lot of very acidic water and sucking it through the pump when it restarts, which could affect seals. There's a reason the inline puck feeders go after the pump and filter.

There is much to learn. Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: proavia
Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply.

I shocked as directed by pool installer and bottle of pool bleach directions, like most new pool owners do I presume. Never said it seemed like a good idea! 😂Gladly nonconstipation here, but if my Dr recommended it and I read the directions for weekly, I would certainly think about it.So theres the why I suppose.

I did slow release into the return and Around the pool edge, glad to hear its not dangerous mixing the Triclor with liquid sodium hypochlorite!

Do I need to raise CYA, good question, I presume so, Ive had 4 pucks in the skimmer and 5L 12% sodium bleach in the pool in its lifetime so far. I do not have a tester, looking for one but the t2006C is a bit pricy at 300$ in Canada on Amazon. Looking for alternate Test. How much cya does a 200g puck add?

I’ll look into an inline feed. Should I get a floater in the meantime, or stop using puck? I have access to 8.4% bleach in jugs?

Read the ABCs and watched the videos!
🙏

Thanks!
OG

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply.

I shocked as directed by pool installer and bottle of pool bleach directions, like most new pool owners do I presume. Never said it seemed like a good idea! 😂Gladly nonconstipation here, but if my Dr recommended it and I read the directions for weekly, I would certainly think about it.So theres the why I suppose.

I did slow release into the return and Around the pool edge, glad to hear its not dangerous mixing the Triclor with liquid sodium hypochlorite!

Do I need to raise CYA, good question, I presume so, Ive had 4 pucks in the skimmer and 5L 12% sodium bleach in the pool in its lifetime so far. I do not have a tester, looking for one but the t2006C is a bit pricy at 300$ in Canada on Amazon. Looking for alternate Test. How much cya does a 200g puck add?

I’ll look into an inline feed. Should I get a floater in the meantime, or stop using puck? I have access to 8.4% bleach in jugs?

Read the ABCs and watched the videos!
🙏

Thanks!
OG
If you downloaded poolmath, it should be there, or just visit the old page PoolMath enter your pool volume, then slide across at the top and switch to metric then go way down to the bottom where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what 200g of trichlor does to your pool.

A floater is fine. Once your CYA gets to the right level, you'll be done with pucks and will be dumping jugs after that. .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.