Adding DE to sand filter didn't increase pressure

Jul 18, 2015
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Hello,

Thanks to TFP, I've had sparking water, at least up until this very hot summer.

I got some fine green sediment a couple times, which got kicked up while vacuuming, and now I just can't get the water clear.

I shocked and ran the pump for three days with little improvement. The water is clear in a glass but cloudy and pale green when looking through to the bottom steps.

The water is balanced and there is no increased chlorine demand.

I read here that perhaps my sand filter is not performing, so I went ahead and added some DE as per Pool School:
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

After adding three cups, the pressure only went up at most 0.5psi. So I stopped adding.

What should I do? Should I keep adding DE to get the 1psi increase?
I did not see any DE coming out the return.

The sand is definitely 5+ years old. I think it's at the correct level. I'd like to avoid pulling the valve if possible until closing time.

FC:6 CC:0 pH:7.7 CYA:35 TA:80 CH:150

Thanks!

-Rob

Adding a bit more won't hurt anything to see if it will rise. It'll all backwash off the top anyhow. Mine, 250lb filter, takes more than that to effect the pressure increase.

Thanks, woodyp!

So I think I either did a real bad job at reading the gauge, or it took a while to register.

I added another cup and noticed it increase by about 0.5psi. I also noticed the return was lacking pressure and the pump wasn't pulling much water.

I did a short backwash & rinse and got my return pressure back while losing almost 2psi on the gauge.

Lo and behold, the magic number is probably 2 cups :)

-Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.