Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi all,

End of last year I got an inground pool with a SWG installed. Previously I had an above ground pool so I'm familiar with the care, but I'm unsure of how much CYA I need for an SWG pool.

Right now I have the SWG at 50% and my FC goes between 2.5 and 3.0. I have no CYA in the pool. The solar cover is on most of the day so that's protecting my chlorine.

Anyway, recommendations for a SWG pool say CYA should be 60-80. If I raise it that high, the charts say my FC should be like 6-7. Will my SWG be able to get it that high? It's a AquaRite T9 cell for an approx 20000 gallon pool so it's sized right.

Also I'm trying to be more careful with this pool (the old above ground was an intex so I took some liberties with that one lol), and I keep reading about this sock method for adding CYA? I used to just add CYA right to the skimmer basket in the pool. Is 'sock' referring to something like this?

TIA for the advice!

Do not add CYA directly into your skimmer basket. It will eventually destroy the plastic basket. The "sock method" TFP refers to is to use an old white sock, fill it with granular CYA and secure it on your pool decking so it dangles in the water directly in front of a return outlet.Personally, I use an old panty hose leg and secure it on the deck with a brick. Whenever I walk by it I reach down and give it a shake yo help dissolve the granules. Should take a day or so to dissolve 3 pounds of CYA. Good Luck!

Thanks for explaining the sock method. This might be a REALLY stupid question but does it have to be a white sock? I'm more of a colored sock kinda guy lol

Aquarite T9 is supposed to be able to deliver 0.9lbs of chlorine a day.
Running at 100%, 24 hours a day, that should deliver 5.4ppm to your pool.
If your daily loss is 2-3ppm, then in a couple days, you'll be up to your 6-7 number.
The added CYA will reduce the daily PPM loss, and then you'll be able to dial the cell back accordingly.
Or, you can just add 1 gallon of 12% Liquid Chlorine, and then let the SWG take over from there.