NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Nearing the end of our first pool season and luckily water has been clear and balanced pretty well. My CYA is 50. I’m tempted to bump it up but I feel like it’s a waste since days are not as hot, sun burn will be shorter, and with kids going back to school there will be less swimming. Is there any benefit to having the number in the ideal range before closing the pool? Or just get it right once opened in the spring?

CYA 50 is fine this time of year in NJ. You just may need to crank up your SWG a few % to maintain your FC.

I’m a first time pool owner in upstate NY and also wondering about balancing chemicals before closing. I just added salt due to all the rain we received. So I get my levels perfect before I close down? I have been using the Taylor test kit for all testing. Also for a salt water above ground pool, Which chemical do I add right before we close it/ cover it? I keep reading about algeside but we never had a problem with blooms. Would adding regular bleach be the same thing?

I’m a first time pool owner in upstate NY and also wondering about balancing chemicals before closing. I just added salt due to all the rain we received. So I get my levels perfect before I close down? I have been using the Taylor test kit for all testing. Also for a salt water above ground pool, Which chemical do I add right before we close it/ cover it? I keep reading about algeside but we never had a problem with blooms. Would adding regular bleach be the same thing?

If your chemicals are reasonably in balance and algae free then nothing special to do at close for the winter.

You can raise your FC to half SLAM FC level. Or if you want added insurance add Polyquat 60. See Algaecide - Further Reading

I’m a first time pool owner in upstate NY and also wondering about balancing chemicals before closing. I just added salt due to all the rain we received.

I just added salt this morning too since my level was low after wasting a bit of water during the storm. I’ve had my SWG % higher the last couple of weeks and FC has been in range but with lower salt level will be harder to maintain.

Ok thanks I had to add a 40 lb bag to my 13,500 gallon pool to raise it to 3200. Are you adding any algaecide for closing?

I’m certainly no expert, but I don’t see any downside to having your water in good shape before you winterize it. Then at closing, I’ll be bringing my chlorine up to SLAM level and then close it without adding any algicide. My understanding is that you don’t want your chlorine that high if you’re going to use algicide.

PB will be closing my pool so not sure what they routinely add for it. I don’t think algaecide is needed because algae can’t grow in cold water nor if there is a safety cover on top and no UV light.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.