Twin Cities MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We built our pool last year, all Pentair (SWCG, cartridge filter, pump) except the heater which is a RayPak, and the cover which is Latham(?) I believe. My question is now that it's all installed and we've been using it for a year, is it worth it to install automation? Cost prohibitive now?

The equipment pad is about 50-60 feet from the house, basically the pool is between the house and the equipment pad. The switches for the light and the automatic cover are on the outside wall of the pool room which is attached to the house.

Thanks!

There's nothing prohibitive about adding automation. Since you have Pentair equipment, your choice is fairly simple - EasyTouch control panel. Depending on what you want to control, that will dictate the number of relays you need. It doesn't sound like you have any water features that need valve automation so you could probably get away with a single-body (of water, that is) controller that has four relays. The first relay controls the pump and you could probably use another relay for the autocover depending on how it is run electrically (120VAC or 240VAC at the switch?). If you have any pool lights, that will eat up another relay. Extra relays can be used to control anything electrical like landscape lighting, etc. Heater makes no difference as all heaters are "dumb" and can be controlled by any automation system. The ET would also have two temperature readings - air and water. The termistor for the water needs to be inserted into the PVC pipe, typically between the pump and filter. The ET panel can be built with the power supply for the IC40 SWG but you probably already have the external version of that power supply running already. Finally, for remote control purposes, you can get the ScreenLogic-2 added on which will allow for WiFi control of the panel (will work with iOS or Android mobile/tablet devices). The ScreenLogic system can also be hardwired as well if WiFi signals are an issue.

You'd probably mount it where all the other switches are. You can pay for a professional to do it to get the full 1-year warranty OR DIY but then only get a 60-day warranty from Pentair.

LS,

Which Pentair VS pump do you have?

Is the electrical sub-panel located at your equipment pad or next to the pool room?

If you plan to install the system yourself, it will be much cheaper than if your pool builder had installed it when your pool was being built. On the other hand, it would have been a much easier job to install during construction.

It would make the most sense to locate the panel at the equipment pad, but that might make getting to the pool light and cover switch hard to do depending on the layout.

In my mind the key question is... What is it that you would like the automation system to do for you?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I see you only have a pool and no spa. So you have a very basic setup. If you install an automation system, what is it buying you for the cost? I could see if you have a few features and or a spa but I would have to think that a basic pool wouldn't be needing a automation system.

LS,

I am not a fan of the "lite" version of the EasyTouch for new installs, although it might work well for you since you already have an electrical sub-panel at your equipment pad.

As with most things that are lite... they just never taste right... :cool: If the model number has an "L" in it, it is the lite version as in P'L'4 or PS"L"4

As long as you understand that the lite version has no load center, and has less programming options.. but, if it will do what you want, then it is by far the most economical model.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We built our pool last year, all Pentair (SWCG, cartridge filter, pump) except the heater which is a RayPak, and the cover which is Latham(?) I believe. My question is now that it's all installed and we've been using it for a year, is it worth it to install automation? Cost prohibitive now?

The equipment pad is about 50-60 feet from the house, basically the pool is between the house and the equipment pad. The switches for the light and the automatic cover are on the outside wall of the pool room which is attached to the house.

Thanks!

We're just finishing up a pool renovation, and we added an automation system. We went with an IntelliTouch i9+3, and so far I'm really pleased. We added a waterfall, pool light, 2 MagicStream laminates and a bunch of landscape and line voltage lighting in our yard. All of it is controlled by the IntelliTouch via ScreenLogic, either from my Mac or my iPhone. So cool!

I can't speak to the exact differences between EasyToucj and IntelliTouch, but I'll say that it seems ET can't do the landscape lighting. That's a big deal for us - really ties it all together.

But yes, I'd recommend the automation system - not sure how I survived without it previously!

It's true, not many features on our pool, but just the idea of being able to know the temperature of the water, and being able to make heater, pump and SWCG adjustments without having to go out to the far corner of the yard (a whole 80 feet after all!), sounded good. Of course, it all depended on cost. Given it costs about $600-$700 just to buy the EasyTouch with the ScreenLogic interface, not including any other installation costs, I don't think it's worth it either given our 4 month pool season.

To answer some other questions:

It says it's a Intelliflo, Ultra Energy Efficient Pump, and on the label it says PMP Intelliflo 2 VST.

The equipment pad with the pump, the heater, the SWCG and filter are all located about 50-60 feet away from the house. The electrical sub-panel (not positive what this is) is located next to the equipment pad, I believe. There is a sub-panel (put in just for the pool equipment) in the house right next to our main panel which then runs out to the equipment pad. The switches for the pool lights and the auto cover are connected to the pool room which is attached to the house. Basically there is electric underground conduit running from the house to the equipment pad and to the two switches for the cover and the lights.

I didn't do it when the PB installed the pool, because he saw them as not being worth it - and troublesome. Now I wonder if it would have been a "nice to have."

As I get older, it may get more important, just to save on the walk ;).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.