Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have gone through 2 gallons of MA this season (since May) and I need to go buy more. How often are you adding MA? I haven't been testing reguarly enough so I'm sure I likely would have gone through more. Also, being in Michigan, we are nearing the end of our season. How should I store MA if I have leftover? We have a shed and a deck box outside, or do I need to bring it inside for the winter?

Also, how often do you generally add CYA/Stabilizer? I haven't yet, as I started the season high but now I'm down to 30.

Store the acid outside and away from metals. In the deck box is ok. MA will not freeze or go bad so it's just a matter of sealing it up and keeping it away from anything metallic. Do you really need to buy more since the season is ending??

Leave the CYA alone until next season. 30ppm should be fine especially with closing.

Store the acid outside and away from metals. In the deck box is ok. MA will not freeze or go bad so it's just a matter of sealing it up and keeping it away from anything metallic. Do you really need to buy more since the season is ending??

Leave the CYA alone until next season. 30ppm should be fine especially with closing.

Well we are not closing til mid October, so i think we need more considering we are over 8.2 ph? I can see maybe not adding CYA, if you still think its ok til October. We are having a party tomorrow.

Well we are not closing til mid October, so i think we need more considering we are over 8.2 ph? I can see maybe not adding CYA, if you still think its ok til October. We are having a party tomorrow.

8.2 is too high. You need to lower it.

What is your TA? Do you consistently have high pH?

I don't test regularly enough probably to say I consistently have high pH. My TA is 110.

Test more frequently...it's important.

That TA is on the high side and will cause pH rise. Acid additions reduce TA and then natural aeration brings the pH back up. By using the acid/aeration process, you can lower TA until the pH appears to remain stable or your addition frequency is low enough to not be a burden.

With fall and closing fast approaching, I would not go out of the way to do anything drastic. Just test more frequently and try to keep your pH a bit lower. No need to make any changes. Then you can close up for the winter and dream about pool opening day....

Test more frequently...it's important.

That TA is on the high side and will cause pH rise. Acid additions reduce TA and then natural aeration brings the pH back up. By using the acid/aeration process, you can lower TA until the pH appears to remain stable or your addition frequency is low enough to not be a burden.

With fall and closing fast approaching, I would not go out of the way to do anything drastic. Just test more frequently and try to keep your pH a bit lower. No need to make any changes. Then you can close up for the winter and dream about pool opening day....

So add acid, but still don't worry about CYA for the season?

How long are you running the pump and what is the SWG output setting, and SWG cell size?

We run the pump 12 hours/day. the SWG output is at 40%. size....hmmm, it's the appropriate size, whatever I needed for up to 40,000 gallons?

It wouldn't hurt to add 2lbs of CYA right now, I wouldn't add more than that at this time of the season for your climate.

With those settings you are adding around 2.5 ppm of FC each day. The SWG isn't over working with those settings so it's your call if you want to add CYA or not.

The cell should be an IC-40 if you want to add that to your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It wouldn't hurt to add 2lbs of CYA right now, I wouldn't add more than that at this time of the season for your climate.

With those settings you are adding around 2.5 ppm of FC each day. The SWG isn't over working with those settings so it's your call if you want to add CYA or not.

The cell should be an IC-40 if you want to add that to your signature.

Are my settings where they should be? My FC is 5.5 right now. I maybe should add I have a leak somewhere. I'm losing water, it will be fixed in the next couple of days.

The real question is why was your CYA high and now it's magically only at 30. CYA doesn't just go away. Go ahead and buy the acid, it won't go bad. I have used 8 gallons of acid since May, and just bought 4 more, but my TA was at 260 and it down to 120 now.

The real question is why was your CYA high and now it's magically only at 30. CYA doesn't just go away. Go ahead and buy the acid, it won't go bad. I have used 8 gallons of acid since May, and just bought 4 more, but my TA was at 260 and it down to 120 now.

I have a leak somewhere, and I'm not sure for how long, so I'm losing water. CYA does go away if water goes away :) I had really high CYA and I drained my pool 40% right away this year. Since then it's gone down to 30. The leak, evaporation, splash out, backwashing, rain, etc.

I have a leak somewhere, and I'm not sure for how long, so I'm losing water. CYA does go away if water goes away :) I had really high CYA and I drained my pool 40% right away this year. Since then it's gone down to 30. The leak, evaporation, splash out, backwashing, rain, etc.

Definitely get that leak fixed. Even a small leak is not a good idea to have around. Do you know where the leak is?

Definitely get that leak fixed. Even a small leak is not a good idea to have around. Do you know where the leak is?

No, I don't. I just realized it, though I had been suspecting it. It appears I lose water while the pump is off so that is good. the pool store is sending someone out to find it and fix for me.

No, I don't. I just realized it, though I had been suspecting it. It appears I lose water while the pump is off so that is good. the pool store is sending someone out to find it and fix for me.

As Ronald Reagan once said -

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The same is true for pool stores -

The most terrifying words for a Pool Owner are: I'm from the pool store and I can help you with that....

Perhaps you have a very trustworthy pool store and it may be worth it to let them have a shot at finding it, but my preference would be to go with a certified leak detection company. Pool stores ultimately want to help you out so they can charge the bigger bucks for a "fix". A leak detection company is there to simply find the leak and then offer suggestions on how the fix can be made. They don't necessarily want to do the fix it job themselves.

I would say let the pool company have a go at it but only let them find the leak...then ask them for a quote to fix it and post the findings here. You might want to shop the fix around a bit and see if you can get it done at a lowest possible cost. Maybe the pool shop will be the most cost effective but, more often than not, they are the most expensive way to get anything done...

As Ronald Reagan once said -

The same is true for pool stores -

Perhaps you have a very trustworthy pool store and it may be worth it to let them have a shot at finding it, but my preference would be to go with a certified leak detection company. Pool stores ultimately want to help you out so they can charge the bigger bucks for a "fix". A leak detection company is there to simply find the leak and then offer suggestions on how the fix can be made. They don't necessarily want to do the fix it job themselves.

I would say let the pool company have a go at it but only let them find the leak...then ask them for a quote to fix it and post the findings here. You might want to shop the fix around a bit and see if you can get it done at a lowest possible cost. Maybe the pool shop will be the most cost effective but, more often than not, they are the most expensive way to get anything done...

I know they are potentially expensive, but I need it fixed so I don't want to wait. They think it will be an easy fix, so that's good. I didn't even know there were leak detection companies. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.