Add chlorine after every use?

jvl1010

Sep 10, 2022
Hollister CA
Hi! I’m using the Dichlor to Bleach method in my spa. I drained and did a fresh fill about 3 weeks ago. It’s dialed in and I’ve switched to bleach. My question: Is it normal to add bleach after every use? I’ve been balancing to 5ppm FC maintaining zero CC.

We are using about 2-3ppm FC per 20-30 minute use for 2 bathers. To maintain 4-5ppm at the next use, I add after every use. Is that normal?

Stats are:
Temp - 102
Ph - 7.5
TA - 50
CYA - 60
CH - 240

Thanks!

We are using about 2-3ppm FC per 20-30 minute use for 2 bathers. To maintain 4-5ppm at the next use, I add after every use. Is that normal?
Yes. Some might add a little chlorine during a soak or perhaps just prior to use if you ever worry about the FC falling too low. Have you seen our link below? Lots of great info there.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes. Some might add a little chlorine during a soak or perhaps just prior to use if you ever worry about the FC falling too low. Have you seen our link below? Lots of great info there.

Thank you. I’m following everything in that post. I guess I just didn’t realize folks add chlorine after every use.

I initially had the frog ease system. Nothing but issues. Dichlor to Bleach has been great. Sounds like I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. Thank you!

Yup - even the cleanest of humans are dirty & create bather waste that consumes fc. The good news is, if fc is a dab higher than intended you can just dip a human in there & the fc will drop In short order 🤣
Many who manually dose & use their tub daily find it easier to dose close to slam level for their cya after their soak so that there’s enough fc to account for the current bather waste as well as enough fc to account for the standby loss & subsequent soak next time so they never fall below minimum for their cya but also don’t have to constantly add fc. Any Fc between target & slam is fine. Let Your testing be your guide here as to exactly how much. Most get in a groove & can judge their dosage needs after a little while since their habits generally stay the same - i.e. soaking after work most days or something like that.
The bather load in a hot tub is exponentially greater than in a pool because of the low volume. A couple people in a spa for 30 minutes to an hour is like having a frat party in a pool so you must compensate for that bather waste & use enough fc to oxidize it & keep the tub sanitized.

So if I use liquid chlorine I am going to need to add chlorine very day? Seems like a lot of work ;)
With each use- generally yes, you would need to add chlorine, enough to get you through until you dose or use the tub again.
If you don’t use the tub it depends on what your standby demand is.
When manually chlorinating (since my swg was on the fritz) I went on vacation, I raised the tub fc to slam level for my cya & fc was still above minimum 5 days later when I returned.

So if I use liquid chlorine I am going to need to add chlorine very day? Seems like a lot of work ;)
I add chlorine after every use. Since I am using it, I am there anyway, so no real extra work.

If I am not using my tub, my chlorine will say in the "safe zone" for 3 (or more) days, and most of that consumption comes from my ozone generator.

Been doing just that since April, it's not really a lot of work but there have been days I've asked my better half to get the water sample, days I've just dosed without testing, and a few days here and there I've forgotten to log the results and next time wasn't sure I'd even remembered to dose it. For us it's been checked before work and when we get home.

It seems there are hot tubs for sale commonly coming up a year or two old due to buyers remorse for those that either didn't get the hang of how to keep up with it, or just didn't want to. It is work, but to me it's worth it and I'm 65 (and will never retire).

Your numbers seem a bit high, though our timer for comparison cuts the pumps at 15 minutes. Did you do a chemical purge when you dumped and refilled? Your CH seems high too, we pushed ours up to 130-140 range and when I dumped and refilled first time there was a white film on the skimmer assembly I presume was precipitated calcium. That film is probably on my heater element too.

I'd recommend the reading @Texas_Splash offered, it's good stuff. Also, while there are (mostly) more knowledgeable folks here, I'm going to suggest unless you keep the spa uncovered, that CYA doesn't need to be as high as 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.