bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am so happy I switched to a Maytronics over 6–7 years ago. Love the things. My first may S200gave me 4 yr.

4/21 I purchased an active 20. And then months later, I purchased a new controller.

Figured I’d get at least another four out of it. Fingers crossed we do.

Anyhow, what’s currently happening is that for a few weeks now it’s been making a weird, clicking noise. Tried to diagnose its behavior last night. It just was staying in the shallow end, cleaning, the same spots over and over. I unplugged it, untangle the cord, clean the filters and basket, put it back in the deep end, and let it get to work. It started acting normal, but then I noticed it was cleaning the sidewall and then went up and on the bottom/underside of my solar pool cover. It went literally from one side of the pool across to the other attached to the pool cover. I’m not saying getting tangled in the cover, but traveling across the cover. It was actually amazing. I’ve never seen it climb and cross the bottom of my pool cover. Usually it just goes up the wall, hits the surface, and goes back down.

I gave Marina Pool & Spa a call. Spoke with Margaret, and then her tech. They told me about swapping the tracks and the front wheels. Prior to doing that, that’s when I noticed that one of the tracks was off so hence that’s possibly what was making the noise.

Performed their recommendations, threw it back in, and noticed new behaviors. It’s literally cleaning a 2 foot section at the deep end going back and forth to the left and right for now 20 minutes. It really has not done the bottom at all. It’s just gone across a few times, and found it happy place in the deep end wall at the surface.

What in the wide world is going on with this active 20? This mystery behavior reminiscent of my old Polaris when it would just spin circles in the deep end and I’d just started throwing parts at it and trying to figure out what it was.

Thanks for the bump Kim.

After some digging, I realize that it was still covered under warranty. Sent it in and they replace the motor and the large wheel assembly. I ran it recently and it seems to be working, OK. I kept my pool solar cover on, and it wasn’t going across the whole underside of the cover like it had before, and also it wasn’t getting stuck on the wall for 20 to 30 minute intervals.

One thing, though, it doesn’t seem like it’s doing that usual pattern where sometimes at the bottom of the pool it will stop and then rotate itself to clean in a different direction. Again, this is just the first initial clean I did, and it was under the cover so I had to pier under spots so I couldn’t a full analysis. After vacation, I’ll plan to take the cover off have a good couple, cops of coffee and sit there and watch it.

Reactions: kimkats
I have to run in again when I’m back from vacation, it is working as normal. I ran it three times because I had a ton of debris, and good old ghost lights sucked up everything. It’s working and back in action.

If anyone else has this very mysterious behavior, hopefully yours is covered under warranty too, and send it in. Maytropics handled it quite efficiently with expertise; indeed, problem resolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.