Access needed for pool cover maintenance

mikeyliny

Oct 14, 2020
long island, new york
Pool cover maintenance seems to be related to servicing and/or "cleaning the motor and other components of the housing." Aside from the motor this includes the 2 cables, their hardware, and the drain area. Pavers sitting over the housing box sit like shelves over brackets. In our case (as diagramed below), pavers sit on top of 12" x 24" shelves which sit over the brackets. Where and how much space needed for access?

I would assume that the areas around the motor, drain and cables require the amounts of access and that the pavers overlying these areas should be the easily removed. I shaded out areas in the second image below based on some of these assumptions and would appreciate if anyone else has recommendations based on their experience with maintaining and/or fixing their autocover.

1655058416820.png

In the example below, each grid/square is 6" x 6". I assumed that the area around the motor, drain needs the largest amount of access. Also, I shaded areas along the length of the cables in case the cables need to be repaced. The three 6x6 boxes in the middle area are spaced provide enough space to stick a vaccum hose in between to suck out leaves in the middle portion of the autocover box.

1655058923612.png

Here are some actual picture of the construction and how the cutout squares look.

1655059179247.png

Please let me know where you think the access cuts should be. Feel free to color over my diagram or represent this in any way you can. Your help is much appreciated!

You will need to clean out the "pit" so I am not sure a couple of holes like you have is enough...I move my coping stones completely out of the way to clean it out - and I fill several buckets with debri every year.

Plus you will need to get a new cover fabric at some point.

Do you have a way to remove the bigger sections all the way along the vault area?

I don't see how this plan can possibly work.

You will find it impossible to suck out bulky wet leaves with a shop vac. You will need to open the entire length of the cover vault and scoop out the leaves with gloves on your hands.

Autocovers need occasional adjustment. This involves adjusting, repairing, and replacing components. You won't be able to do that through little holes.

At some point, you will need to replace the cover fabric. This involves removing the entire spool. Again, you'll need to open the entire length of the cover vault.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.