Navarre/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an aboveground pool that I want to add a CircuPool RJ-45+ SWG . The plumbing is very accessible, and I can place a post in the ground to mount the RJ control box. The problem I am running into is that my pump is a two-stage pump (Pentair Optiflo 1.5hp) that is plugged directly into a 110v outlet and is run 24/7 on low. I have 3 more 110v outlets available at the installation site (see picture).

My question deals with the electrical hook-up of the CircuPool RJ45+. Is it possible to configure the RJ45+ so that it can be plugged directly into a typical outlet so that I can use my electrical setup as is? If the RJ cannot be plugged directly into a regular household outlet, what will I need to do to get power to the RJ given that I only have 110 run to the pool and there are no timers being used?

Attachments

• pool setup.jpg
    pool setup.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 32
Ok so I wrote Discount Salt Pool directly asking the same above question about their CircuPool RJ-45+ SWG. Here is there response:

When you order the unit request "110 volt with plug" in the comment section.
We will configure it so you can just plug it in. You may also call us Monday morning and we can take the order over
the phone.

Guess who will be ordering a CircuPool RJ45+ next week. :)

Reactions: splashpad
I just installed an RJ 30 plus. I'm thrilled with it! Easy to install. And I do recall there are instructions to wire it up for
110 v. They have a maintenance kit that was on sale when I bought mine. It includes a spool piece threaded on both ends to use when you're cleaning the cell and it's great to use when you're doing the PVC piping work.

Good luck!

Chris

So how are things going.... the story:

I ordered my RJ on March 9 and received a notification it was being shipped to me on March 11. I received it 12 March and opened the package, no 110v plug. :(

I immediately called Discount Salt Pools about my order not being completed as specified and was first told that they do not configure the RJ that way anymore. After telling them about my communication and assurance that they would configure it with a 110v plug, they asked me to send it back so that they could configure it correctly. They graciously sent me a return UPS label and my RJ was back in the mail.

I received the RJ on 19 March, configured for a 110v plug for my outlet. Though I had to send back the first one, DSP turned it around in a heart beat and had me a correctly configured one in record time. I am VERY pleased with the customer service.

Now it is time to prepare the pool and see if I am as pleased with my new SWG. It is exciting that I will be able to leave my pool for a week or so without having to worry about it. Thank you TFP.

So how are things going.... the story:

I ordered my RJ on March 9 and received a notification it was being shipped to me on March 11. I received it 12 March and opened the package, no 110v plug. :(

I immediately called Discount Salt Pools about my order not being completed as specified and was first told that they do not configure the RJ that way anymore. After telling them about my communication and assurance that they would configure it with a 110v plug, they asked me to send it back so that they could configure it correctly. They graciously sent me a return UPS label and my RJ was back in the mail.

I received the RJ on 19 March, configured for a 110v plug for my outlet. Though I had to send back the first one, DSP turned it around in a heart beat and had me a correctly configured one in record time. I am VERY pleased with the customer service.

Now it is time to prepare the pool and see if I am as pleased with my new SWG. It is exciting that I will be able to leave my pool for a week or so without having to worry about it. Thank you TFP.
That's great them corrected it for you; it's the right thing to do. You're going to be so happy this season (and beyond).

Ok so an update...

After a month of the SWG sitting in my garage (lots of family issues) I finally was able to install it today. Thanks to Pool Math, I purchased the right amount of salt. Thanks to this board, I bought the Morton brand salt. I installed a 4x4 post and connected the bracket and hung the SWG control unit. Drained the filter and the pump. Replaced the cartridge filter (I had a spare and thought what the heck?). And started my cut on the PVC. All this time, I am terrified that once I do all this something will not work (after all you can not test until it is all put together), and I will have to redo all my plumbing.

So, I know nothing about PVC or plumbing. Luckily, I had the instructions from my SWG that said cut 13.75" inches out of the line. So I measure, and measure, and measure one more time and cut out the pipe. I discover that I have 1.5" pipes and have to use the reducers that came with the SWG. Ugh... did I make a mistake already? Instructions say to be sure to compensate for your pipe if it is not 2". Compensate how? Ugh again. Luckily everything worked out great and I was able to get the cell in place. Now for the flow meter.

Instructions, where are the measurements for cutting the pipe for the flow meter? There are none! Umm.. Ok, no template or instructions, I can do this. So using the pipe piece I had cut out, I measured how far it would go into the flow meter with the reducers, subtracted that out from the actual length of the flow meter, and then repeated this step three times to make sure I did not forget something. Finally I cut the pipe and the flow meter fit.

I waited one hour for all the connections to dry, plugged them into the control unit, and then let water enter the pump and filter. Turned on the pump to low. Turned on the SWG. It came on at 50% power and I could see it producing chlorine. Checked the amperage, checked the Salt content, and finally took a breath. All was working!

So even though I am not a plumber, never worked with PVC, or knew anything about a SWG a month ago, I now have a new SWG thanks to CircuPools and this board. Tomorrow I will test the water to see where I need to adjust the SWG.

*** to be perfectly honest, the flow meter connection is producing a drop of water about every 20 seconds. So it was not perfect, but it is in the yard and would take a decade to drain enough water from the pool to matter. **

Been working on adjusting the Chlorine Output on the SWG. My situation is that I run my pump on low 24/7 and also run my SWG 24/7.

My process:

Startup -- I started at 50% output and produced 2 points of chlorine (5.5 to 7.5) overnight and lost nothing during the day. This is a bit high since the chlorine would continue to build.
Turned down to 30% -- produced 1.5 point of chlorine (7.5 to 9) overnight. This is still a bit high.
Turned down to 20% -- lost 1.5 point of chlorine (9 to 7.5) during the day. This is more what I expect to see. I want to lose about 1.5 during the day and gain that back at night. I will check in the morning.

Is this a reasonable process for setting the SWG? My plan is to compare water/day temperature with chlorine loss to know when to make adjustments to the chlorine output. Hopefully this will allow me to understand how to adjust throughout the year. YES...yes.. I will still be testing, but this is how I will give myself piece of mind.

Been working on adjusting the Chlorine Output on the SWG. My situation is that I run my pump on low 24/7 and also run my SWG 24/7.

My process:

Startup -- I started at 50% output and produced 2 points of chlorine (5.5 to 7.5) overnight and lost nothing during the day. This is a bit high since the chlorine would continue to build.
Turned down to 30% -- produced 1.5 point of chlorine (7.5 to 9) overnight. This is still a bit high.
Turned down to 20% -- lost 1.5 point of chlorine (9 to 7.5) during the day. This is more what I expect to see. I want to lose about 1.5 during the day and gain that back at night. I will check in the morning.

Is this a reasonable process for setting the SWG? My plan is to compare water/day temperature with chlorine loss to know when to make adjustments to the chlorine output. Hopefully this will allow me to understand how to adjust throughout the year. YES...yes.. I will still be testing, but this is how I will give myself piece of mind.
Holy,

I did almost the exact same thing. Sounds like your close enough on % power that you can tweak final FC level with run-time. Mine runs at 30% for 6.5 hrs. I expect in the summer to increase run-time a little. We use our pool a lot! Were in twice today.

Congrats on your new installation! I bet the pool looks fabulous! How do you like the water?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris,
I cannot actually adjust runtime. I do not have a timer on my pump or my SWG. Basically the are both plugged into a 110 volt outlet and run 24/7. The pump runs on low (2-stage) and the SWG I am currently tweaking.

Thanks for any other advice you may have. I am having a blast dialing it in.

Holy,

Yes, I now recall you have 24/7 operation. 2-speed operation on low speed 24/7 at the lowest % power to get the best cell life. But the power cost is probably $30/mo. Since you're at such low % it might be more optimal to run the pump on a timer at a higher % power. I'll call in an AG pool expert to see if they have any information or rules of thumb on % power on cell live Vs power savings. Kim and/or Zea what do you think. @kimkats @zea3

Enjoy your new salt pool!

Chris

Looks like you are on the right track and I a SO jelly right now! One day I will have a SWG and be looking at this thread for how to best do it!

I am guessing you could add a simple timer to the outlet the pump and SWG are plugged into if you wanted to not run the pump 24/7 or you could just plug the SWG into it to help control that a little more if your lowest % is still too much FC each night. I would keep doing the testing you are doing and keep track of bather load as well as weather to really help you dial everything in!

Kim:kim:

I don't think I am going to have any problems. At 20% output, I had a FC=7.5, exactly the same are yesterday at the same time. Looks like I may have found the sweet spot for this time of year. It is only going to get hotter in Florida, and I have plenty of room for my SWG to grow. :) We shall see.

We have been swimming every day since installing the SWG. Pool temp is 81.1. A bit chilly but warm enough to float and tan.

On another note, I discovered through this forum that you can use the Pool Math App to calculate how much FC is produced by your SWG according to output setting. What a great feature! Seems the only real problem I have with the App is that there is not a good guide on all its features and how to use them. That is definitely a disservice to the developer that most are unaware of all the features. :(

You know what? I am going to ping @Leebo as he is in charge of the app and see what he has to say about the above. That sounds like a wonderful feature that many would like to use if they knew about it. I am thinking something like a table to contents kind of thing maybe??

I don't think I am going to have any problems. At 20% output, I had a FC=7.5, exactly the same are yesterday at the same time. Looks like I may have found the sweet spot for this time of year. It is only going to get hotter in Florida, and I have plenty of room for my SWG to grow. :) We shall see.

We have been swimming every day since installing the SWG. Pool temp is 81.1. A bit chilly but warm enough to float and tan.

On another note, I discovered through this forum that you can use the Pool Math App to calculate how much FC is produced by your SWG according to output setting. What a great feature! Seems the only real problem I have with the App is that there is not a good guide on all its features and how to use them. That is definitely a disservice to the developer that most are unaware of all the features. :(
Great point you make Holy. I learned this feature by playing around with the app and having others tell me about it in posts. TFP are always improving their tools and this forum. They are selective about what they try to do because it's all volunteer so they can't take on everything. But I think your recommendation will get a lot of attention from Lee.

Congrats on your successful startup!

Chris

Ok it has been since the 27 April that I installed my SWG, and I love it. I leave it at 20% and currently I have:

FC = 6.5 <-- Been decreasing by 0.5 every two days. Recommended 3-8 so I have plenty of room for flex
CC = 0 <-- never above 0.5
PH = 7.6 <-- Been steady as a rock
TA = 60 <-- recommended range 70-80. Been steady here and so has PH so leaving it for now.
CH = 50 <-- only have some to prevent any foaming
CYA = 60 <-- Steady as a rock and SWG can easily hold FC. Recommended 70-80. Will move it there when I readjust
Salt - 3600 <-- SWG reports 3300. Not bad. This has been steady as a rock too.
CSI = -1.21 <-- vinyl pool so no etching can occur. Low because of low CH content

Going to give it about 4 days before I test it again (if I can hold out that long). If everything goes well, it should show a FC=5.0. If that is the case, I will turn the SWG up to 25% which should produce 3.1+ FC which should cause the FC to rise slightly 0.1 each day. Nice.

Just wanted to bump this thread to give everyone an update on how well the RJ 45+ is working after a month.

I am still religiously testing my water. I have moved my percent chlorine generation from 20% to 25% and finally to 30% (that produces about 3.7 ppm fc per day). During this month, I have slowed my testing to about 4 times a week and went on vacation for 5 days without having to worry about my pool. With my increases, I have kept my pool at 6-7 ppm FC and have no problems with pH or any other chemical. Today I actually added about 2lbs of CYA to raise it to the recommended level of 70. Why? Because I trust this board completely and wanted to see if I could keep my generator around the 30% mark through summer.

So what do I like about the RJ 45+?
  1. I never have to add chlorine
  2. You can actually see it creating chlorine gas in its clear plastic shell (a real cool factor for this geek)
  3. I do not have to have someone come over while I am on vacation and add chlorine constantly. This is great since I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks.
What have I discovered about my pool?
  1. When the water is below 83 degrees, the SWG can be set on 20%
  2. Above 83 degrees and below 87 degrees the SWG can be set on 25%
  3. Above 87 degrees (pool is at 93.7 currently), the SWG needs to be set at 30%+
This is keeping the CYA at 60-70 and the FC = 6-7.

Regrets? I should of purchased a SWG earlier! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.