About to start BBB, first steps

Personally, I wouldn't increase the CYA yet. Since the sun burns a percentage of chlorine and not an exact number you lose more chlorine if you have more in the pool. My chlorine always burns down from shock level very quickly with a CYA of 40, but holds fine at normal chlorine levels. Let your chlorine get down to the 5 - 7 range and see how well it holds if you add a reasonable, consistent, amount each day. I do have to add EVERY day but, like Richard's signature says, I look at it like feeding a pet -- it has to be done every day.

Personally, I wouldn't increase the CYA yet. Since the sun burns a percentage of chlorine and not an exact number you lose more chlorine if you have more in the pool. My chlorine always burns down from shock level very quickly with a CYA of 40, but holds fine at normal chlorine levels. Let your chlorine get down to the 5 - 7 range and see how well it holds if you add a reasonable, consistent, amount each day. I do have to add EVERY day but, like Richard's signature says, I look at it like feeding a pet -- it has to be done every day.

That's a good point. I don't have much experience with this, but that is what I thought.
You'll get a better idea o how much you lose today from 9. Maybe hold off a few days and you keep monitoring your usage. You can always add some CYA later, tougher to get rid of it as you know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here we go
FC. 7
CC. 0
PH. 7.6
TA. 90
CH. 180
CYA. 50
Big difference in yesterday and today. I only lost 2ppm FC. And it's hot hot today. Granny, I think you nailed it. I even thru a quarter in the deep end and can call it. I bought a stirrer from tftestkits.net today. At 54, my wrists aren't what they used to be. I'm afraid I'm gonna become a test junky. I told a guy at work, who said his pool is the clearest it's been in years, about the quarter and he said it can't be done because he wouldn't find the quarter.

The pool looks beautiful, however I am concerned about your CH level. Recent posted test results show a drop from 220 to 180, probably from testing error. You need to keep the CH at 250 to 350ppm for the health of your plaster. Test the CH as soon as the speed stir comes and adjust the CH if needed.

Throw in that quarter, take a picture and show it to your buddy. If that doesn't convince him nothing will!

Yeah, that test kicks my rear. I did add yesterday. I don't want to get to high again so I'm approaching slowly. Listening to leslies on adjusting CH is what finally turned me to here.

Thanks for the complements, I've wanted a pool since I was 12. Now that I have it, I want it to be perfect.

That or if it is going to be extended to 3 days or more throw a couple of pucks in the inline (take them out when you get home). Trick is knowing what its going to do to your CYA and to be prepared.

Knowledge is power.

So after doing some reading on here today, I'm a little confused again(maybe). Lots of rain last couple of days. CC has been 0 up till the rain.

4:00pm
FC 2.5
CC. .5
TA. 100
PH. 7.6
CH. 250
CYA. 53ish
Added 75oz bleach @ 8.25%

5:00 pm
FC. 7.5

I normally add 68 to 75 oz per day of bleach. With a target of 7 min. 4, I can't hold the minimum thru the day, although I have no problem with the OCLT. I see people talking about adding a quart a day on smaller pools and I'm double that. Should I be using that much bleach. Could running my pumps 9 hours a day and the bubbler be the cause?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.