About to Pull The Trigger on Major Pool Refurb

Theraddie

May 22, 2019
Southeast PA
Hi,
I am a frequent lurker and an infrequent poster. I am about to start into a major pool rehab at the end of this season and was looking for thoughts guidance etc. on my plan. The pool is a 30,000 gal. shotcrete IG with a spillover spa and a waterfall. The pool was built by the previous HO in about 2005.
currently it is white plaster with stone coping and a paver deck. Planning to do a rehab in 3 phases.

Phase 1: Replace plaster, tile and coping on both the pool and the spa. Looking at PT PebbleSheen (Leaning towards surf blue). Granite coping with bullnose edge. Still deciding on tile, but likely some sort of 2x2 or 1x2 dark blue with some brown/grey tones (see attached). I'm about to sign the contract to start Phase 1 after labor day. Waterfall will remain largely unchanged except at the interface with the coping.

1627331750236.png

Phase 2: Replace the pavers with concrete. I realize I'll be giving up some style points, but this is the second house I have had with a paver deck and I have decided that pavers at-grade in our area (SE PA) with heavy soils and freeze thaw cycles are just more trouble then they are worth. Current pavers are settled/popped up. Weeds constantly growing in joints and sand washes into pool with heavy rain. Plus they are of a style and texture that I frankly just don't like.

Stamped concrete probably not in the cards cost-wise, but thinking about getting creative with some died concrete or special finish to "class it up" a bit. Still heavy in the planning/pricing stage, with a goal to complete early spring.

Phase 3: Redo landscape plantings. A medium term DIY project. Have spent a couple years cutting down trees and pull overgrown shrubbery.

Pics of the pool are attached.

Really just looking for feedback on the plan potential pitfalls etc. Particularly on the phase 1 aspects. I have the contract for Phase 1 sitting next to me waiting on my sig. I guess I'm for a little final reassurance before I commit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1627333277289.png

1627333309974.png

@kimkats can spend other people’s money better than the government. Unlike when the government does it, you’ll LOVE what she does with it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: HeyEng
Would have @'ed her in the initial post but wasn't sure if that would be viewed as rude.
Most folks consider it an honor. It’s like anything else, The worst that can happen is they don’t respond. :)

But she’s in now when she has some time. Thanks for letting me tag along and get fat on the popcorn.
:epds:

Hi,
I am a frequent lurker and an infrequent poster. I am about to start into a major pool rehab at the end of this season and was looking for thoughts guidance etc. on my plan. The pool is a 30,000 gal. shotcrete IG with a spillover spa and a waterfall. The pool was built by the previous HO in about 2005.
currently it is white plaster with stone coping and a paver deck. Planning to do a rehab in 3 phases.

Phase 1: Replace plaster, tile and coping on both the pool and the spa. Looking at PT PebbleSheen (Leaning towards surf blue). Granite coping with bullnose edge. Still deciding on tile, but likely some sort of 2x2 or 1x2 dark blue with some brown/grey tones (see attached). I'm about to sign the contract to start Phase 1 after labor day. Waterfall will remain largely unchanged except at the interface with the coping.

View attachment 358732

Phase 2: Replace the pavers with concrete. I realize I'll be giving up some style points, but this is the second house I have had with a paver deck and I have decided that pavers at-grade in our area (SE PA) with heavy soils and freeze thaw cycles are just more trouble then they are worth. Current pavers are settled/popped up. Weeds constantly growing in joints and sand washes into pool with heavy rain. Plus they are of a style and texture that I frankly just don't like.

Stamped concrete probably not in the cards cost-wise, but thinking about getting creative with some died concrete or special finish to "class it up" a bit. Still heavy in the planning/pricing stage, with a goal to complete early spring.

Phase 3: Redo landscape plantings. A medium term DIY project. Have spent a couple years cutting down trees and pull overgrown shrubbery.

Pics of the pool are attached.

Really just looking for feedback on the plan potential pitfalls etc. Particularly on the phase 1 aspects. I have the contract for Phase 1 sitting next to me waiting on my sig. I guess I'm for a little final reassurance before I commit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

View attachment 358735

View attachment 358736
Look into a salt finish concrete... I think it looks good with some of the grey more modern coping color schemes.... plus shouldn't be much more than broom finish.
Where are you in SE PA? I grew up in Southern Lancaster County.

You called????? :hug: Never hesitate to call any of us if needed or wanted. Like Dude said we can just ignore it if we want to. Me? I LOVE helping others spend their money!!!

I have pulled out some of what you wrote and will talk after each item:
Granite coping with bullnose edge.
LOVE bullnose edge. So easy on on the legs when sitting on the side of the pool and it looks awesome as well.

What color of granite are you thinking of?
1x2 dark blue with some brown/grey tones (see attached).
I love, love, love 1x2 tile. Next is the 2x2, Next is the 6x6 WITH an neat accent tile every once in a while.

That tile is very pretty and different! If you have read much of anything I wrote you know I am going to tell you to go through the tiles boxes to make sure there are not any really ugly ones.
Phase 2: Replace the pavers with concrete.
I say go for it! I can see what you are talking about from the pics. The concrete will make it look much better when we get done with it all. Pops of color here and there with the pretty new plaster and tile will make it look wonderful!
I have the contract for Phase 1 sitting next to me
So how many different builders did you talk to about this redo?
a salt finish concrete
I say nope on this. I find they catch dirt and are hard to clean long term. THEN add in the fact she is in PA with freeze heave weather. If the "holes" fill up with water then it freezes then you could have problem.

I say a nice, crisp, clean concrete to dress up with pretty pots and such!

I would love to see more pics of the waterfall. That looks like it is really neat!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: HeyEng and Newdude
Look into a salt finish concrete... I think it looks good with some of the grey more modern coping color schemes.... plus shouldn't be much more than broom finish.
Where are you in SE PA? I grew up in Southern Lancaster County.
Salt finish is one of the things I'm considering. What to find some and walk on it to see how it feels under foot.

Also worried about writer in the divots freezing.

I'm in Morgantown PA, right where Lancaster, Chester, and Berks counties meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: joepaiii
You called????? :hug: Never hesitate to call any of us if needed or wanted. Like Dude said we can just ignore it if we want to. Me? I LOVE helping others spend their money!!!

I have pulled out some of what you wrote and will talk after each item:

LOVE bullnose edge. So easy on on the legs when sitting on the side of the pool and it looks awesome as well.
Yes a "comfortable" edge is on the must have list. Currently coping is a natural broken edge that is very uncomfortable when hanging your legs in over the edge of the pool or spa.
What color of granite are you thinking of?
Trying to decide, I think a darker color would outline and define the pool nicely. The better 3 quarters is worried about it getting too hot.

Thinking smaller tiles due to the number of curves in the pool. Feels like it would be tough to get smooth radiuses with 6 by 6 tiles.
I love, love, love 1x2 tile. Next is the 2x2, Next is the 6x6 WITH an neat accent tile every once in a
while
That tile is very pretty and different! If you have read much of anything I wrote you know I am going to tell you to go through the tiles boxes to make sure there are not any really ugly ones.

I say go for it! I can see what you are talking about from the pics. The concrete will make it look much better when we get done with it all. Pops of color here and there with the pretty new plaster and tile will make it look wonderful!

So how many different builders did you talk to about this redo?

I say nope on this. I find they catch dirt and are hard to clean long term. THEN add in the fact she is in PA with freeze heave weather. If the "holes" fill up with water then it freezes then you could have problem.

I say a nice, crisp, clean concrete to dress up with pretty pots and such!

I would love to see more pics of the waterfall. That looks like it is really neat!

Kim:kim:
I met with five builders and got quotes from each. Pricing for the most part was pretty consistent, one outfit low balled. Tossed the lowball out right away, figure he either didn't understand the job, was cutting corners or was going to hit me up with extras down the road.

The one I chose did a friend's pool last year. I was able to check in at various stages in the process and he seemed to be doing good work. 1 year later my friend is still happy with the job.

I will try to get a few more pictures of the waterfall.

I am meeting with concrete flatwork contractors in the coming weeks. Hope to get some prices and ideas from them. I'd like to end up with a smooth finish as possible without it being a slip hazard.

I'll try to keep this thread up to date with my progress. Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: Newdude
a darker color would outline and define the pool nicely.
I like that idea. So long as you don't go black it will not get too hot. See if you can get some sample to put down in your yard to put your bare feet on to make sure.
Thinking smaller tiles due to the number of curves in the pool. Feels like it would be tough to get smooth radiuses with 6 by 6 tiles.
Good thinking right there.
Tossed the lowball out right away, figure he either didn't understand the job, was cutting corners or was going to hit me up with extras down the road.
Smart move! We both know it would have ended up costing as much if notmore than the others!

T,

Looks like you've thought through the scope of work very well and I'm sure you'll have a great set of specifications after Kim and others get done providing their input. Equally important in getting a successful construction job at the end is the contractor selection process and making sure you have a fair and complete contract. How did you select the contractor and what are the obligations of the builder and yourself? Also, are the specs, warranty, performance test clearly documented/reasonable for both you and the builder? If the builder is going to use subs (most do) do you have release of liens covered? The reason I ask this is that many times these items are not discussed until there's a problem with the work and a very poorly developed contract is already signed. At that point it's all over but the crying and a lot of unnecessary frustration ensues. This happens a LOT and I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: Kellyp and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
T,

Looks like you've thought through the scope of work very well and I'm sure you'll have a great set of specifications after Kim and others get done providing their input. Equally important in getting a successful construction job at the end is the contractor selection process and making sure you have a fair and complete contract. How did you select the contractor and what are the obligations of the builder and yourself? Also, are the specs, warranty, performance test clearly documented/reasonable for both you and the builder? If the builder is going to use subs (most do) do you have release of liens covered? The reason I ask this is that many times these items are not discussed until there's a problem with the work and a very poorly developed contract is already signed. At that point it's all over but the crying and a lot of unnecessary frustration ensues. This happens a LOT and I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Good advice, thanks.

One of the reasons in choosing the PB I did was he has the most thorough scope of work. I'm was surprised that a few PB,s exempted draining and filling the pool. Listing that as my responsibility.

From what I've read refilling is an important step in a successful replaster and you are just going to leave that up to me, and hope that I can arrange for a half dozen tanker loads of water on a couple days notice? Part of why I'm hiring you as a contractor is to manage the subs.

Again pretty comfortable with my contact, hoping for the best.

I know I'm a couple weeks late here, but one of the tiles we looked at seems like it might fit your color scheme:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.