Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hello Fellow Pool People,

We are about to break ground and are conflicted. Our current design is a 26’x18’ rectangular pool with a Baja shelf off to one side. The depth plan is 4’-5’-4’. The conflict we are having is the length. We have the room to bump it out to 28’ but would like to add a jacuzzi and gazebo at a later date. Extending would reduce the size of our future plans but increase the usable pool area. The question is, will we even notice the two foot bigger pool when it is done? Thoughts? I added the photo for visual.8415A821-1C30-49C0-8B92-003C3F6C4EB7.jpeg

Go 2ft longer. You will always wish you did. Is there any specific reason you only go to 5ft depth? Did you consider 5 1/2ft depth. I have freeform about 25ft useable (excludes steps) and I have 5 1/2 ft in middle which does not cause much of slope on bottom. With 28ft that would be nice.

Reactions: borjis and Newdude
You need to mark out placement of a hot tub and gazebo then see if you have room to make the pool bigger. If you do, then go for it.

My pool builder came out today for the pre-excavation site inspection. The pool plans have depths at 4-5-4’6”. What is everyone’s thought on this? I originally thought the depths were supposed to be 4-5-4 and don’t know where 4’6” came from. The pool dimensions are 26’x18’ rectangular with a baja step off the side of the shallow end. Looking for opinions on the depths. Pros, cons, general input.33FDB558-DF1E-46FE-A7F9-972F1EAEDBC3.jpeg

I am with your builder. This gives you a variety of levels yet still all shallow-ish. Taller folks can stand in 6" more water and not feel as exposed. I hate standing in shallow water when I can instead be in deeper.

Deeper water helps the pool not be as swampy warm also, but I doubt 6" makes that much difference. Do you have plans for a pool cooler?

Please update your location as some "deserts" are warmer/colder/wetter/dryer than others and it helps us answer your questions more accurately. Thanks.

Maddie :flower:

I agree. Go for longer length if you can. I regret mot going 2 ft longer. We had our pool built with our house so I only saw an estimate on paper and by time they plotted it in the yard we weren’t allowed to make any changes.

My pool builder came out yesterday and installed the plumbing and pool equipment. The installer connected the plumbing to the hose bib that exits the wall of our home in the backyard. The hose bib is connected directly to our whole home water softener system. Does anyone see an issue with this?

Also, I attached photographs of the pool equipment. I figured the pros on here would know if it was done correctly.

Attachments

• CFEE2551-115E-4811-BF84-B246909C4A38.jpeg
    CFEE2551-115E-4811-BF84-B246909C4A38.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 26C2A5FB-BD86-4949-8B5D-2D0FED941A52.jpeg
    26C2A5FB-BD86-4949-8B5D-2D0FED941A52.jpeg
    804.9 KB · Views: 54
  • B1466EAA-AED8-4CD9-A9F4-D715A108B984.jpeg
    B1466EAA-AED8-4CD9-A9F4-D715A108B984.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would have been preferable to spread the equipment out a bit. But it is what it is.
The use of softened water for make up water is great. I assume in your part of the Southwest Desert you have hard water. A bit more defined geographical area as your location would be preferred. Fill the pool with non-softened water.
You need a timer for your SWCG. It should not have power to it when the pump is not running. Do not rely on the flow switch.

The conflict we are having is the length. We have the room to bump it out to 28’ but would like to add a jacuzzi and gazebo at a later date. Extending would reduce the size of our future plans but increase the usable pool area.
I’ll be the contrarian. If extending the pool means sacrificing deck/gazebo space, I’d go with the deck/gazebo. Our pool has a deep end (10’) leaving only 1/2 of it for standing or sitting on the ledge. We still don’t miss any pool space. We have a large entertainment area in addition to quite a bit of decking around the pool and we still run out of that space when we host parties. Once you add the requisite grill/outdoor kitchen, tables and chairs, your deck space will disappear quickly.

Would have been preferable to spread the equipment out a bit. But it is what it is.
The use of softened water for make up water is great. I assume in your part of the Southwest Desert you have hard water. A bit more defined geographical area as your location would be preferred. Fill the pool with non-softened water.
You need a timer for your SWCG. It should not have power to it when the pump is not running. Do not rely on the flow switch.

Is there an article on how I can set that up? What is the reasoning?

Is there an article on how I can set that up? What is the reasoning?
A timer? You have the electrician install a normal timer for the SWCG. Or get a timer yourself to plug the SWCG into. Then you set the timer so the SWCG only has power when you have the pump scheduled to run. Your pump has its own timer/scheduler built in, I think. Please complete your signature and improve your Location for us to help.

The reasoning for the timer is if the SWCG is powered on with no flow it can explode. Does not happen often, but it does happen.

If I am looking at this correctly I would consider relocating the pool lights to the wall closest to your house. If the lights are shining towards the back of your home all you’re going to see is the glare from the lights.

Where would you all suggest the lights go? I attached the most recent plan.

Attachments

• 232D8223-2EF4-4D23-AEC5-9E880E71E421.jpeg
    232D8223-2EF4-4D23-AEC5-9E880E71E421.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The edge of the patio is 20’ from waters edge. Are you suggesting the light on the left be moved in between the step and the light on the right?
Is your home on the side of the baja deck with the steps or on the opposite side?
The general recommendations is to not have the pool light facing towards your home and/or patio where you are sitting - looking at the pool?
Looking at your layout, the assumption is that the baja shelf/steps are nearest your home therefore that light across from it could be shining towards the home. You need to clarify where the house is situated on your layout.
With regard to the light on the short sided wall, it may or may not be an issue. I have a light that is on the left side as I lookout from my home and patio and I do not thing it is an issue but everyone has different views of what is acceptable.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.