Abandoned Pool - Suggestions Please

You can install foam and liner track and DIY a custom liner for under 4k. If pool hasn't moved since 1994 and is perfectly sound just liner it and be done. You could cut thru the deck to replace what puping needs it and then patch and coat it or tile/Reno pavers. I just worked on a pool that had plywood for walls built in the 70s it's a masonite type ply material. Doesn't take much to decouple the water from the earth
Jimmy in for the win!!! PLEASE do this!!

Had another PB out, job is too big for them but they did review our current bid and confirmed that, for the work involved, it looks to be fair.

I also dug a little deeper into public records, in hopes of finding the original pool builder. Nothing yet, but . . . Google Earth had pictures back 1994, showing the pool filled from 1994 through 2004 (when the property went into foreclosure). There were no records online for permits pulled, but the online records didn't go back far so I wasn't surprised. What did surprise us was tonight a PB returned our call, asked a couple questions, then asked if we knew the owner's name from 2001 because he thinks he installed the pool liner back then . . . And it looks like he did. So, he has all the specs and will be sending over a bid as well. Looks like we'll have a pool yet! Good thing we still have swim weather in October :D

~ (soon to be swimming) Tumbleweed Acres

Sweet!!!! Keep on keeping on and you WILL have a pool. I really like that one that said the job was too big for them. I respect that SO much. Better to say no thanks then to just walk away and never saying a work

He has the specs??? OH yeah!! That should save some money and time!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: AmyJo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, broke ground two weeks ago. Some questions were answered: Yes, there was rebar in the pool sides, and it extended all the way under the decking. And no, there was no rebar in the base of the pool - so that would have been a huge issue had we decided to risk it and do it ourselves {take note, prospective DIYers}.

In two weeks, they've shaped the pool, demo'd the deck, and installed and pressure checked the plumbing. Really pleased with the progress (although I have no frame of reference). Supposed to be starting framing and concrete next week.

To be continued...

~ TWAcres

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Wow, lots of progress. A few questions...
Were they able to use any of the existing plumbing? How many skimmers are they installing? What depth(s) are you going with?
All new plumbing - wouldn't guarantee otherwise. I believe two skimmers. Depth of 3' - 7' (we've removed the diving board) There are also a lot more pipes (returns?) installed and we added two lights (previous pool had none).

Is it too late to change the shallow end to at least 3.5' (LOVE 4' depth to tell the truth and the transition to the 7' is slower as well)? 3' is too shallow for a good crawl stroke. Measure where 3' of water will hit you as well. Also is this water depth or from the floor to the bottom of the coping? VERY important difference as water depth is measured from the floor to half way up the skimmer face.

Who is working the jack hammer? That is a hard job!

Good thing you do your home work and are going all in with the rehab. That could have been a mess if you had not! WELL DONE!

Your pics were in your link in your siggy. I forgot to look there! Thanks for the embedded link!

Kim:kim:

All new plumbing - wouldn't guarantee otherwise. I believe two skimmers. Depth of 3' - 7' (we've removed the diving board) There are also a lot more pipes (returns?) installed and we added two lights (previous pool had none).

I agree with Kim that 3’ is to shallow, especially if you plan on doing laps in the pool. 2 skimmers is perfect for that size pool, and smart choice on doing all new plumbing.
Keep us updated with progress and pictures, as quite a few of us have been looking forward to this resurrection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.