Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a 26,000 gallon above ground pool that has an 8 ft deep end. Just to let you know what I'm working with. With a Taylor test kit I am showing all my numbers are in line. First I am going to slam it to get rid of some cloudy and I think algae. Then I was going to wait two days 48 hours to flock it filter to waste. Once I do that the pool will be clear enough for me to see all of the stains. I use the extra strength stain remover from natural chemistry according to the directions. After slamming it letting it sit for 2 days to get a deep chlorine cleaning. Then I use the Extra Strength flock to get rid of all of the cloudiness and debris and dead algae then vacuuming to waste. I need to do this for 2 days in a row until all the flock is out of the pool. After that process I have a very clean p o o l. I do not let the chlorine or the pH go down before I flock. Therefore when it is done flocking I usually just need to wait for the chlorine to come down a day or two. Then I am ready to start my AA treatment cuz at that time I can see all of the stains really good. When and do I need to add a metal sequestriant to keep those darn stains from coming back?

Can we see your test numbers? If your numbers are fine you should not be seeing algae. I would back off of all that stuff you listed, deal with your algae first, then deal with metals. By the way, can you share a photo of the staining you are referring too?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a 26,000 gallon above ground pool that has an 8 ft deep end. Just to let you know what I'm working with. With a Taylor test kit I am showing all my numbers are in line. First I am going to slam it to get rid of some cloudy and I think algae. Then I was going to wait two days 48 hours to flock it filter to waste. Once I do that the pool will be clear enough for me to see all of the stains. I use the extra strength stain remover from natural chemistry according to the directions. After slamming it letting it sit for 2 days to get a deep chlorine cleaning. Then I use the Extra Strength flock to get rid of all of the cloudiness and debris and dead algae then vacuuming to waste. I need to do this for 2 days in a row until all the flock is out of the pool. After that process I have a very clean p o o l. I do not let the chlorine or the pH go down before I flock. Therefore when it is done flocking I usually just need to wait for the chlorine to come down a day or two. Then I am ready to start my AA treatment cuz at that time I can see all of the stains really good. When and do I need to add a metal sequestriant to keep those darn stains from coming back?

Can we see your test numbers? If your numbers are fine you should not be seeing algae. I would back off of all that stuff you listed, deal with your algae first, then deal with metals. By the way, can you share a photo of the staining you are referring too?
Not sure I'm using this properly but I'm trying brand new don't know if you're getting my replies properly or not
Yes I have a Taylor test kit. My number is at this time and which have been for the past two weeks as a pool keeps getting cloudier and greener. Are water hardness is right at 250 the total chlorine is at 4:00 the free chlorine and four to five pH a little load about 6.8 alkalinity is right at 120 and to stabilizers hanging around 70. I've had this pool for 18 years and this year has been the hardest for me to keep balanced any help would be appreciated thank you
Welcome. The TFP method cautions against using flocc. Do you have a test kit?
Pool Care Basics
Test Kits Compared

Post a current set of test results from one of the recommended test kits.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

How do you currently chlorinate your pool?

You really can't see the stains because it's too cloudy I've done AA treatments before and they have seem to take care of it rather quickly but metal sequestering I don't think has ever been used properly after I slam it and flock it and vacuum it it'll look beautiful except for all the stains.

Post a current set of test results from one of the recommended test kits.

FC 3.24
CC .28
pH 6.8
TA 120
CH 217
CYA 75
Total iron is 1 Copper is 2 phosphates is 186 order temperature is 81 it is a heated pool I use granular chlorine diluted and I'd rather slowly takes about an hour for me to add it cuz I don't like it the cloud up

Water temperature

How do you currently chlorinate your pool?

I live in the middle of the Woods. The past 18 years of having this pool the trees have grown to where some of them are actually over the pool of course up about 75 to 100 ft I use a robotic skimmer to keep things off of the top of the pool I run my really nice robot twice a day for things on the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those look like pool store results and are usually inaccurate.
You stated you have a Taylor test kit. What exact kit do you have?

Post results from your own test kit - not pool store results.

What exact product is this granular chlorine?

The test kit is a Taylor k2005. I use the zappit 73 chlorine. On the Taylor test kit I'm getting three to six on my chlorine pH is showing 7.2 the alkalinity is taking 12 drops which makes it like at 120 the test strips that I use from Clorox tell me the stabilizer is between 50 and 100

You are doing a fine job of learning how to use the site. Keep reading and we will help you get that pretty pool all fixed up!

to keep my chlorine at the level between 3:00 and 6:00 I keep 16 tabs of trichloro s traz four tabs in four different floaters
This right here is where the problem seems to be. I am going to share a link with you. I will show you the importance of the CYA and FC relationship: FC/CYA Levels

As you can see your FC is too low for you CYA levels. What is causing the cloudiness is the beginning of an algae outbreak OH NO NOT THE ALGEA MONSTER!! :shock: LOL

You REALLY need to get one the recommended test kits as seen here: Test Kits Compared Guess strips are not helping you at all and causing you more harm than good!

Hi, Chaz. Yes, you keep scrolling down as people answer you.

Don‘t panic, and don’t go throw a bunch of stuff at your pool. We are asking questions so we can advise you in the steps that will work for you. Believe me, none of us want you to have to do anything more than what is necessary.

First job is to get a handle on your actual numbers. The test kit you have isn’t going to do that for you, and pool store numbers are even less reliable. Have a look at the following so you can understand the reasons why job 1 is a good test kit.

Test Kits Compared

Then take a look at this page to see how to get your cloudy water (with some algae) clear.

SLAM Process

Thank you so much for your input. I have slammed the pool and letting it run for a few days to do a deep cleaning. I will get the add-on part to My Taylor kit for better test results. I have a question. What type of polyquot 60 should I get and do I add it when the chlorine comes down to acceptable I'm thinking around 5:00? And when should I do my AA treatment?
You are doing a fine job of learning how to use the site. Keep reading and we will help you get that pretty pool all fixed up!

This right here is where the problem seems to be. I am going to share a link with you. I will show you the importance of the CYA and FC relationship: FC/CYA Levels

As you can see your FC is too low for you CYA levels. What is causing the cloudiness is the beginning of an algae outbreak OH NO NOT THE ALGEA MONSTER!! :shock: LOL

You REALLY need to get one the recommended test kits as seen here: Test Kits Compared Guess strips are not helping you at all and causing you more harm than good!
Hello again thanks so much for your help. I did the slam last night and tested this morning my free chlorine is at 30 and my cya is at 80 total chlorine is 20 which gives me a combined chlorine of 10. I'm waiting for the slam to calm down. It is just like a totally milk color pool right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just as a reminder this is to try to get a handle on algae and of course I need to do an AA treatment to get rid of the iron stains on the liner. Thank you

Please read the SLAM document again. It’s not a one time event - it’s a matter of dosing your pool a few times a day to the appropriate level for your CYA, and you can’t really do that until you are able to test accurately. Your SLAM will be complete when your water is crystal clear, you don’t see algae, you don’t lose more than 1 FC over night (when there is no sunlight to degrade your FC), and when your CC is 0.5 or less. Until all those things are true, stick to the SLAM.

Forget the polyquat and the AA. You aren’t going to need polyquat at all, and in looking at your photo, I’m not convinced you need AA either. Can you get a closer photo of the stains you are seeing?

Please read the SLAM document again. It’s not a one time event - it’s a matter of dosing your pool a few times a day to the appropriate level for your CYA, and you can’t really do that until you are able to test accurately. Your SLAM will be complete when your water is crystal clear, you don’t see algae, you don’t lose more than 1 FC over night (when there is no sunlight to degrade your FC), and when your CC is 0.5 or less. Until all those things are true, stick to the SLAM.

Forget the polyquat and the AA. You aren’t going to need polyquat at all, and in looking at your photo, I’m not convinced you need AA either. Can you get a closer photo of the stains you are seeing?
Yes hello once the slam calms down from being all milky looking and I can see the bottom hopefully in Clear Water I will send you a picture of the stains. Thank you again. I'm going to send you a picture of the slam that I did. Can you take a cya reading while you're doing a slam? I figure I need to let this sit at least a couple of days to get clear last time I slammed it took 2 days for it to clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.