A very naive pool owner here!

This website, and it's free! Unless you'd like to donate to keep it running.

Any specific questions you have ask them in the thread and you'll get consistent answers from members who (mostly) all self-service their pools.

Set up your signature with a location, pool type, pool volume, and equipment so that people can see what you are working with.

Reactions: Muna
Read everything you can in the Pool School and it will help you tremendously. The folks here are a wealth of knowledge. One of the best things you can do for yourself is invest the money and get a good test kit if you're serious about maintaining your own pool There's links and more info in Pool School.

Here's a link to the YouTube channel.
There's a TFP e-book somewhere, but I can't find the link right now

Do have a test kit?
Below is a link to the test kit most of us use. If you order it now you might receive it on Friday. The SpeedStir is highly recommended. The XL option will make sure you have enough reagents to last this season & next. If you get the speed stir then also order 2 extra magnetic stirring bars.
Test Kit
What are you using to sanitize the water?
Is the water clear, any algae?

Last year was my first year owning a pool and I spent all Summer with chemistry issues, algae, metal stains, and only 6 days of swimming total, all while going to the pool store hiring a pool boy. This year the pool has been clear, we've been swimming all Summer long, and it's because I've been testing and maintaining myself. Once you know what chemicals do to your pool, what your levels are, and ranges to keep your chemistry it's not so hard.

Why did you have a pool boy mostly? for cleaning or for balancing your water? A robot Vacuum while take care of the cleaning. You can buy a pretty decent one that will last 3-5 years for about the cost of 1 month of your pool boy service.

Reactions: Muna and Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take charge of your pool Muna. The satisfaction of knowing your pool system is well worth it.
There is so much good information at this free site and many good pool owners willing to help you along the way.
Welcome and do not hesitate to ask any questions you have along the way.

Last year was my first year owning a pool and I spent all Summer with chemistry issues, algae, metal stains, and only 6 days of swimming total, all while going to the pool store hiring a pool boy. This year the pool has been clear, we've been swimming all Summer long, and it's because I've been testing and maintaining myself. Once you know what chemicals do to your pool, what your levels are, and ranges to keep your chemistry it's not so hard.

Why did you have a pool boy mostly? for cleaning or for balancing your water? A robot Vacuum while take care of the cleaning. You can buy a pretty decent one that will last 3-5 years for about the cost of 1 month of your pool boy service.
Thank you for the response. This pool was built in 2017. Very new, saltwater pool. I have no problem yet. Water is crystal clear. We thought having a pool guy would be helpful to learn the basic pool maintenance tips. So we had him for a month just to balance water but did not expect they would charge that high. I have Dolphine M400 so I vacuum every week. I just order the Taylor test kit. I am hoping to learn these things even though dont know much yet. Thank you so much.

Thank you for the response. This pool was built in 2017. Very new, saltwater pool. I have no problem yet. Water is crystal clear. We thought having a pool guy would be helpful to learn the basic pool maintenance tips. So we had him for a month just to balance water but did not expect they would charge that high. I have Dolphine M400 so I vacuum every week. I just order the Taylor test kit. I am hoping to learn these things even though dont know much yet. Thank you so much.

I recommend the stirrer. It will make testing so much easier. This one below is compatible with the Taylor test kit.

@Muna Make sure you get the Taylor 2006 not 2005. The TF-100 includes that taylor kit. With a salt pool and a robot you will honestly have very little to do in daily or weekly maintenance. At first you will want to test daily to see what your average chlorine usage is so you can set your SWG accordingly. Muriatic Acid is really all you need on hand to start to lower the PH is needed. I do keep liquid chlorine to raise my free chlorine quicklybefore and after we have a high bather load. You also will want the k1766 taylor kit to test salt levels as the basic kit doesn't come with it. Even though your salt water generator gives you a salt level it is not as accurate as the test kit.

When your kit arrives run all the basic tests to get the hang of it and post them in this thread. We will help you out adjusting levels if you need it.

Do have a test kit?
Below is a link to the test kit most of us use. If you order it now you might receive it on Friday. The SpeedStir is highly recommended. The XL option will make sure you have enough reagents to last this season & next. If you get the speed stir then also order 2 extra magnetic stirring bars.
Test Kit
What are you using to sanitize the water?
Is the water clear, any algae?
Thank you for the response. Its saltwater pool. I just bought muriatic acid and baking soda. No algae, water is very clear. Ph is 8.2 this morning. I am thinking about using muriatic acid to lower the ph level. Thank you.

@Muna Make sure you get the Taylor 2006 not 2005. The TF-100 includes that taylor kit. With a salt pool and a robot you will honestly have very little to do in daily or weekly maintenance. At first you will want to test daily to see what your average chlorine usage is so you can set your SWG accordingly. Muriatic Acid is really all you need on hand to start to lower the PH is needed. I do keep liquid chlorine to raise my free chlorine quicklybefore and after we have a high bather load. You also will want the k1766 taylor kit to test salt levels as the basic kit doesn't come with it. Even though your salt water generator gives you a salt level it is not as accurate as the test kit.

When your kit arrives run all the basic tests to get the hang of it and post them in this thread. We will help you out adjusting levels if you need it.
This is great. I appreciate all the information. Going to order these now. I will post my level. Thank you for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.