A sad day at our house-bye bye pool :(

Why wouldn't they use 316 Stainless Steel or 6061 Aluminum? Won't rust and salty water will no affect it. We use 6061 for structural work for heliports for off-shore platforms. And it is 1/3rd the weight for similar strength.

Because for the most part American consumers only consider up-front cost at point of purchase. This is a disposable society. Buy cheap, use it up, buy another one. Manufacturers have to compete, and only care about profit. So they find the cheapest way to put a product on the market. Neither party is much concerned about quality or longevity. The product only has to outlast the warranty. The consumer deals with it...

Reactions: Saturn94
But 6061 or really 6005 (plate) is cheaper, or really, no more expensive than Carbon Steel. Add in the fact that you don't need to coat it, and it might end up actually cheaper. I have a feeling it is more ignorance or supply inertia (we've always used steel).

no more expensive than Carbon Steel
Of course, that might depend on where that steel comes from. I snapped a 1/4" lag bolt in half today, tightening it with a wrench (NOT an impact driver) into a 2x4. I didn't even get the lock washer compressed. I bet it was purchased from the cheapest supplier. 🇨🇳

Well, I was about to say "someone beat you to it" when I found this website, but in spite of how beautiful this website is, I couldn't find an ounce of substance. Maybe someone else can make heads or tails out of it, and what exactly they make...

Last edited:
Well, I was about to say "someone beat your to it" when I found this website, but in spite of how beautiful this website is, I couldn't find an ounce of substance. Maybe someone else can make heads or tails out of it, and what exactly they make...

they are doing in ground stainless steel instead of normal steel or polymer... makes sense for a pool :) You would think they would use stainless instead of steel..

For seam fasteners if you worry that is breaking the coating at the holes, I have a few off the cuff ideas.

1 - Paint/treat the holes before adding hardware. Depending on the quality, they likely buy treated metal, and then drill holes into that. This means that the holes are cutting through the coating, and leaving a weak spot. This costs far less then treating metal after they are formed and drilled.

2 - Use plastic or rubber washers. This prevents the metal washers from cutting into the coating. If you are worried that they might back off, apply a bit of loctite to the screws before you put on the nuts.

3 - AFter the screws are installed, spray them with some sort of coating. This way any coating that might have broken off will end up with some protection.
This and all of this is what I am thinking! Now waiting to see what shakes out in my husband's head. Seeing how long he lasts without a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would think they would use stainless instead of steel..

The answer is money, as it is with almost all things. For a huge percentage of AGP, they go with above ground vs inground due to cost. Sure there are lots of people who go AGP for reasons like space, etc, but that is a smaller chunk. So with money being in mind, making a SS pool will simply cost more than a steel one with little to no obvious advantage to most of the customer base. Of course smart customers like you know the value, but most do not

Oh no! I'm so sorry to see that. At least ours is draining just 2" per day.

So, these constructions in the works, talk about resin pools and such, where would I find those threads? Because I suspect we'll be building a new one next year.

As for the Rhino truck bed stuff, I would assume you can find someone who does truck beds and bring the sections to be coated. Then after bolting them together use the aerosol cans to finish off the joints. (Even if the aerosol is not as good.) If I did that sort of job for a living I'd be happy to accommodate because the job would be easier and it wouldn't have to look as good as on a vehicle. So it should be much easier to do from a labor standpoint.

I actually love Florida, but I do know if you are anywhere near the ocean, the salt spray just eats stuff up. I don't know if that is the case on the panhandle or where you are at though. I suspect if you are going to build another pool the same way, then it will last about the same time. You could try to find a pool that you could buy replacement panels for and then plan on changing the liner and panels at year 5 or 6 too. Or you could do a gunite pool. :)

How the heck did I miss this thread. Anyhoo, that sucks big time! But, at least you two weren’t in it when it let go, or you guys would have been white water rafting down the street.

Resin is the way to go, you have very salty air and humidity in Florida. I know it’s pricey, but as Brian always said.....
“Quality isn’t cheap, and cheap isn’t quality”

Now if budget is a thing, you can always take a page out of my book, still going strong, and zero rust problems! (And you guys laughed at my pool. :pth: )
562A94B4-7A9D-40F7-8084-ED160598B522.jpeg

I'm very confused by the comments saying aluminum costs the same as steel.
Not to mention you'll need a lot more aluminum to perform the same job. There are aluminum above ground pools out there, for a large cost and they do hold up much better. But then again, the pool my parents did in 1986 was galvanized heavily and even after 10 years of rocks etc it had no rust anywhere. Best I can tell the pool I put up isn't galvanized at all. Just painted with so called "great coatings, best thing in the world etc". Really it's all just paint and any little scratch will make it fail and from what I saw there were plenty of scratches before I even unboxed it.

That said, when it comes to protecting steel from rust IMO the only option is galvanizing because paint and other coatings will never remain perfect even if they start that way. I just used Crown 7007VG on an outdoor gas pipe to protect it from rusting and I'm planning on doing some touchup on my pool with it as well where it's hidden by the stairs etc.

I'm very confused by the comments saying aluminum costs the same as steel.
Not to mention you'll need a lot more aluminum to perform the same job. There are aluminum above ground pools out there, for a large cost and they do hold up much better. But then again, the pool my parents did in 1986 was galvanized heavily and even after 10 years of rocks etc it had no rust anywhere. Best I can tell the pool I put up isn't galvanized at all. Just painted with so called "great coatings, best thing in the world etc". Really it's all just paint and any little scratch will make it fail and from what I saw there were plenty of scratches before I even unboxed it.

That said, when it comes to protecting steel from rust IMO the only option is galvanizing because paint and other coatings will never remain perfect even if they start that way. I just used Crown 7007VG on an outdoor gas pipe to protect it from rusting and I'm planning on doing some touchup on my pool with it as well where it's hidden by the stairs etc.

You pretty much nailed it. All this talk of putting nylon washers on bolt holes, and spraying the attachments with conformal coating (or whatever was mentioned) is for the most part useless. Once that coating is breached, there is moisture on the bare metal, and the oxidation process has started. You would basically have to remove (or convert) all iron oxide, then bake the area to remove any moisture, and then recoat to prevent future rusting. Not to mention that if you are using dissimilar metals, there is going to be a galvanic reaction between the two of them, causing corrosion and a subsequent stress riser. A sacrificial anode MAY be of use, but you would have to replace it on a regular basis, and I am not sure without thinking about it some more where it would actually have to sit.

You really have one solution to prevent rusting long term - build your pool out of something that does not rust. Not something that does rust that you try to keep from rusting by coating it with something.

Good galvanized steel is a start. but galvanized is still a base metal that rusts with a coating on it. Granted it is a really good coating, but it is still a coating.

Stainless is good, but stainless is expensive. Material cost is more, and it is also harder to work with. Aluminum works too, but it is pricey. People love taking down aluminum pools - they take them to the scrap yard and get paid very well. Resin is really the answer. It is still expensive, but I suspect pricing will come down as competition rises and manufacturing becomes cheaper.

Sheet aluminum is getting 25 cents a pound right now by me. Compared to 33 cents for 304 stainless. Steel scrap is like 4 to 5 cents a pound, and most places only take it in quarter to half ton minimums). Steel is by far a cheaper material.

I just bought all stainless steel hardware for my solar cover reel. The reel itself is aluminum with resin parts, but all of the hardware was plain steel - which is now rusted steel.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.