A sad day at our house-bye bye pool :(

FLEX SEAL as seen on TV!!!

Okay so we have been working on the dirt and rock movement and chatting while doing so.............why did a pool that I did major research on let go so fast? Well we do live in FloriaDUH so...........humidity is where we are going with this one. Now why those areas? The seams where the bolts/nuts hold the two parts together and along the bottom. I know from the past the whole wall got dewy on a very humid day so why didn't the whole wall rust???

GOT it! So think about this............the seams...........when you put the bolts/nuts on and tighten them you rub/scrape some of the paint/stuff (?)) off!!! Okay so make sure to put something there to cover the metal back up.............now the bottom.........as you are "walking" the wall around to open it up and put it into the bottom rail you are scraping it some on the dirt/sand.................AND some of the dirt might get in the rail so when you push the wall into the rail slot you are again scaping some of the paint off the wall.

Dirk's comment about rust being a cancer got us thinking this way and it make sense. SO any one putting up an above ground pool use care where you might scrap some of the paint off. If/when it happens have the supplies ready (not sure what supplies yet but the stuff Casey posted is in the running for sure) to fix any paint you might scrape off!

Now to see if I can get my hands on some of this stuff to play with and wee if it will do what we need/want it to do!
So you tried to cheat death. For your TPF followers: How many months/years did you get by scraping and repainting? Was it worth it? Would you do it again, even if you thought you could do it better? Or should you have just pronounced it: "Time of death, 16:22" and just replaced it when you first found that rust? What will you advise others to do if they ask?

Dirk - Just for some data points on rust in an AGP and cheating death.....

As mentioned upthread, I replaced my liner in May 2015. I had noticed some rust on the outside wall around the bottom of the pool so was curious and concerned as to what the inside looked like. On the outside I was fairly certain it was due to previous owners leaving dirt up against the outside wall rather than rocks which would allow the water to drain away. The inside was actually not in bad shape at all, though there was some rust. I sanded, applied rust inhibitor, and then rust oleum. I was very liberal with all of that.

5.5 years later and I have not noticed that the rust has spread or gotten any worse. Of course, I cannot see the inside behind the liner, but I do, a few times a season, go around the pool and inspect visually as well as press on the walls in places to see if I notice any weakness or indications of the wall texture changing.

So, for me, it was well worth it.

Some pics and details here:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Maybe Kim or another (you?) can create a TFP article for best practices regarding this issue. Surely there are materials for recoating that are better than others (like what you used?). Which would be valuable info for others with this issue.

Dirk that is a good idea! How to help your above ground wall last a LONG time! What to watch for and what to do if something goes wrong.

We already know what to do to keep the liner in good shape-pH and TA controlled and balanced!

So, you need to oil your bolts before and after putting them on to slow down the rust? :) I wonder if doing something silly like replacing the hardware with stainless and then painting over it when assembled would help? I wonder if galvanic action isn't part of the issue there with incompatible metals with the hardware used?

Even in the Midwest, anything left out in the garage at that nearly 100% humidity most of the year made everything rust. I still haven't completely cleaned all of my machine tools off since coming to the boneyard portion of Arizona... (many airplanes meet their maker or are stored here, because.. well they are better preserved)...

But.. Maybe your solution on a NEW build is as simple as putting a couple coats of paint on the frame before adding the liner. It couldn't hurt and I imagine it would at least slow that down....the rust reformer stuff in other uses really has worked out well for me also. Here, things only now rust during monsoon.. but it does happen....

The thing to do is to make sure any scrapped paint is repainted in my eyes. The hardware was stainless. I am really thinking it was the "cancer" like DIrk tlaked about.......once it start at a untreated spot it spread from there :( I could be wrong and more than willing to listen to any and all ideas with support thoughts.

It's not just the scratches. It's the quality of the coating and the quality of its application, too. It may look all nice and solid, but if it's permeable, either because of the material used or its application, or because of the long-term effect of it being wet all the time, it'll eventually break down enough to let water seep though, almost microscopically at first, and then rust can go to town that way.

Certainly treating scratches and applying extra coats would be beneficial. I wonder if there are reliable stat's available about the longevity of resin vs coated metal to help one decide which is the better long-term investment. If "cost per year" is close, seems like resin would be less hassle overall, even if the upfront expense was more. I'm guessing replacing a frame is not all that fun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@kimkats have u seen these?
I have no idea how expensive they are but they seem similar to radiants.
I have a similar issue as you in that my pool “sweats” it makes me nervous as our shop is below the grade of our pool. 27k gallons is alot o watah! I worry about whats happening below the ground that I cannot see. As rust never sleeps.
I wish i had had the confidence to do my own build - I would have probably ended up with a better quality pool & less wrinkles!
That aurora looks super nice & for the peace of mind I would be willing to adjust my deck for 30 ft.

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
Dang Kim. I'm so glad you and your husband were not hurt. I know all about what rust can do and how fast it spreads. It is just like Cancer. I wish I could have seen how long my pool would have lasted after 4 10 hr days of sanding, treating the rust and adding rustoleum but the wind had other plans. I'll be following this thread and any preventive advice given for my Sharkline Venture which I'll be installing in the spring.

I'm happy to share my experience of course but it is anecdotal...

Looked in my garage and found a rust converter product that I am certain I used on the outside walls of my pool where it was worse than inside. From the outside view it stopped the rust completely.

However, my Amazon history shows I purchased the rust converter in Nov 2015, so several months after I replaced my liner. I must have used something else on my inside walls, so can't say definitively what it was other than I use the term "rust inhibitor" in my liner replacement thread.

Here is what I bought and used to cheat death (as Dirk aptly named it) on the outside of my pool walls. As mentioned, it seems to have completely stopped the rust. I did subsequently paint my pool walls (see avatar) but that was for cosmetic reasons, but surely it will help extend the life some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.