A newbie needs help balancing PH, ALY, and Chlorine

koivet

Jul 11, 2021
Canyon Lake, TX
Hi Guys! This is my first post.

We have a 13.5K gallon pool (just over 1 year old). Only 2 users of the pool.

My PH has always been high. Have been having problems getting the pool crystal clear, so had my spouse take a water sample to Leslie's. I tested the same sample with my ColorQ Pro 7 and got the following:
FCL - 1.27 (Leslie's came back about the same)
TCL - 1.27 (Leslie's came back about the same)
PH - 8.1 (Leslie's came back about the same)
ALY - 114 (Leslie's came back 70!) Haven't a clue why their result is much lower.
CH - 114 (Leslie's came back 459!!!) Huge difference in the result.
CYA - 49 (Leslie's came back 61).
Phosphates - I did not test...Leslie's tested at 1961.

Leslie's said to do the following:
- Add 5# of Alcalinity Up
- Add 39 ounces of muriatic acid
- Add 32 ounces of liquid chlorine
- Add 1 gallon, 18 ounces of PhosFree (added 48 ounces on Saturday...cleaned my filers today and added another 48 ounces).

PH/ALY Issue -- I'm pretty much a novice, but adding muriatic acid to reduce PH and adding Alkalinity UP to increase ALY seems counterproductive...doesn't muriatic acid reduce both? What can I do to reduce PH, but not reduce ALY?

Chlorine -- Because of high CYA levels, I have quit using the 3" chlorine tablets in the feeder tube (CYA had been as high as 140...kept draining pool until I got under 50). Now use only powdered shock (with no CYA) and liquid chlorine. I add chlorine several X per week and my FCL/TCL still tends to be low. Any thoughts on why the chlorine level stays so low?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide me!

Last edited:
Stop going to Leslies.

Add liquid Chlorine to raise your FC and lower your pH to the 7's Using muriatic acid. All else is ok.

Create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Your chemistry levels depend on the type of pool you have and the equipment you have.

Read...

Last edited:
Reactions: mnmpizza
raised the FCL/TCL to 4.1
4 is your minimum FC for a 50 CYA. Your target is 6-8 to allow the daily loss of 2-4 ppm that we all experience. In your case, in Texas, during the peak season, you should expect to lose closer to the 4ppm daily. At your current level that puts you at 0 FC. Many of us ‘run hot’ and fall back ‘into target range’ ensuring we are always covered.

Good job on the pH, but your FC is still too low. See the FC/CYA chart in my signature if you need, but with a CYA of 50 you need to be keeping your FC at 6-8. That means you bring it up to 8 or 9 so it stays in the 6-8 range for most of the day and never ever ever let it get to the minimum FC of 4.

Edit: Dang, yankee new dude types faster than I do. Luckily we gave the same advice :)

all powered shock contains CYA to stabilize the chlorine.
Or calcium. *shameless plug to know your levels* if you know your actual levels you can use both/either when you have room to spare. Blindly dumping them leads to guaranteed draining.
I do and would only use liquid chlorine
For day to day its the way to go.

Reactions: Stonesphan
Hi! Y'all have been mega-helpful to me. Finally achieved a decent FCL/TCL chlorine level (5.28) for chlorine...CYA is 44.

Question -- what is the best way to reduce PH without lowering ALY so much. Muriatic acid seems to do both equally. Clorox sells PH Decreaser, a powder. Would that be better to keep ALY higher.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only way to reduce pH is to add acid. The Clorox stuff is dry acid. Not recommended.
Why are you having to reduce pH if your TA is below 50? What are your current chemistry data?

Lower your pH to 7.6. Alkalinity is fine.

All is at your own risk. The testing method you use is not known for accuracy needed to adjust chemistry.

@koivet the only colors you really need to differentiate are too low and too high. I’d you adjust a little early there is no harm done.

Far too many people target a ‘better’ 7.x but for most it doesn’t matter. If your CSI agrees, any 7.X is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.