A lot of bubbles coming out of the pop ups and returns

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
We've been having a lot of bubbles coming out of the pop ups and returns when the pool turns on. There was a leak on the DE filter and we got a new O ring. Where else do we check? How do we know for sure which O-Ring needs replacing or is it time to replace most ORings or all until we figure out which is the culprit or could something else be letting in air or causing this problem? I wondered if there could be something stuck in a pipe or something as this problem started months ago when we were overdue for a backwash/breakdown of the DE filter. We have the pool company coming out Wed due to salt cell/panel not working but we're already going to resolder K-1 on motherboard if it needs resoldering or get a new SWG system as pb would charge quite a lot. I'm wondering if I should cancel appt for Wed or will they be able to help us identify where the bubbles r coming from, at least. For a $150 trip fee I can live with bubbles although if it can damage something later I want to get this taken care of. I'd feel better if pool ran without bubbles like it used to. thx!

Air in the system with the pump running is from the suction side. First place to check is the pump basket lid gasket. Be sure to use Pool Lube - Further Reading on it. Next is to check the drain plug orings on the pump. There are normally two. Then work towards the skimmer. Any valves? Is the skimmer weir stuck closed? Is the water level high enough?

thx! drain plug orings-I wasn't aware of a drain plug. Do u mind describing further what is a drain plug and what does it look like? We do have valves, if you mean a handle we turn to close or open a pipe. When u say "skimmer weir" do u mean the door that goes to the skimmer? It should sort of float, right? I started keeping water level an inch below the middle of the tiles as PB told me might work well for when it rains it won't be too high, but from what I remember problem started before this. Water is above skimmmer level do a decent degree, I think. I can verify. thx!

Pump drain plugs are towards the bottom of the pump, one on the suction side (pump basket) and one on the pressure side. Should be a flat thumb screw looking thing, about 1/2" or so in diameter.

Valves will have a handle.

Can you post pictures of your equipment pad, with some closer shots of your suction side and pump.

With all these pics I realize u may have wanted to see UV. I know it's a waste that I have UV BTW. I see an air bubble in leaf canister but not sure if an air bubble is normal.

Attachments

• 20210829_122424.jpg
    20210829_122424.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210829_122436.jpg
    20210829_122436.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210829_122447.jpg
    20210829_122447.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210829_122454.jpg
    20210829_122454.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210829_122506.jpg
    20210829_122506.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210829_122517.jpg
    20210829_122517.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210829_122525.jpg
    20210829_122525.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 18
Was the pump operating? There did not appear to be any significant air in the water when looking at the pump basket lid.

Have you (or someone) recently taken the pump basket lid off?

pump had been operating on low speed (1380 rpm speed) 2 when I took the pic. I shut off the pump and after a min turned it back on so I could try to take a pic of how significant the bubbles r but it didn't happen, prob cuz I need to wait longer than a minute. My husband took the lid off a week ago. He's been known to put it back on "backwards" but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the prob. It's been a consistent problem as far as I could see. I wonder if we should change the oring? I'll ask him if he puts lube, too

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump lid gasket needs to be lubricated with Pool Lube - linked earlier in this thread - every time the lid is removed.

If it has a gasket, yes. On the suction side, leaks will show up as air in the returns. On the pressure side, leaks will show up as water on the pad.

Your SWCG does add hydrogen gas to your returns. But those are very small, champagne type bubbles.

we had a leak on the DE filter and got a new Oring which fixed the leak, even though the oring looked ok to me. the bubbles are very large, probably larger than my fist.

I'm still a bit confused about the suction side and the pressure side. In looking at my pad, water feature valve, pump, and filter would be on the pump side while the suction side would the be leaf canister, the returns/drain, and the filter? I'm a bit confused about this and can we physically divide the pad in 1/2 to see which is on which side? I believe there were 2 pipes that go to the pool? Maybe that's a better way to think about it? Thx for dumbing it down for me. :)

The pump is the dividing line for suction and pressure. The lines coming from the pool (skimmer, main drain) are the suction side. Going from the pump to the filter, then the SWCG and out to the pool returns or the in floor pool cleaner is the pressure side.

I'll go out there and see if I can figure the line out... I read the lube page and it said if we don't lube the rings will pinch and bind and deform which cause the leaks. My husband said it was obvious to him that DE ring had microcracks. He also said he never lubes the leaf canister. I'm going to check it now but I'm also wondering if it looks good we should still assume the Oring is now demformed from not lubing in the past. Also, I was wondering how often might someone in the Phoenix area tend to have to replace Orings?

I leave a garden shade cloth over the pool pump/pad. One day I need to raise it off the pump rather than laying it on the pump as I worry it blocks heat in, even though the shade cloth has holes. Pump gets sun a few hrs a day. thx

I did not see a leaf canister in your pictures. That is something mostly only people with in floor cleaners have.

Pump and your never lube valves all have orings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.