Filter or chemical problem

Places like Home Depot and Lowes are generally not good places to buy liquid chlorine/bleach because they store it outdoors and higher temperatures degrade the strength quicker.

Check this link and scroll down to the chart at the bottom and you'll see what I mean.

I always check the manufacturing date codes before buying and never buy if the date is over 1 month old.

In your case the date code was day/year, but more often it is year/day (Julian day).

This link shows some common date code formats.

Numbers are good. We are still feeding the pool monster chlorine 2-4 times a day. Our FC has been .5 for several tests in a row. Night and again the next morning. It has been a couple days now that is has been .5 Does that tell you something, other than no living algae? Perhaps how long after that consistant .5 test that our water may begin to clear?

Thanks again for all your help.

I have started reading ALL the labels before I buy bleach. Thank you for the help reading the date stamp.

melanie, your getting there, the last 10% is the hardest part to clear and pass the SLAM.. You can add DE to your sand filter to clear faster but you will need to watch your pressure as it will rise faster... :)

I understand your apprehension about draining your pool. It seems wasteful. But the water you let out isnt going to waste, it is going to get back into the water system somehow, either by you draining into a sewar, or into a creek that flows to a river at some point.

Since your pool is dirty, here is what you should do. Vacuum your pool thoroughly, with the pump set to waste. This will drain a lot of water out of the pool. Do a thorough backwsh of yoru filter, and that will drain a lot of water as well. After those two things, you will be close to losing as much water as you needed to in the first place.

Water is relatively cheap to replace, so it is not a big deal.

I just wanted to mention, that depending on where you live water can be very expensive... In some cases, as much or more than the difference in bleach would cost. If you are home to test a few times a day, bleach won't cost as much as you might think.

Areas that have water restrictions are nearly always areas that have lots of sun and very high daytime (and nighttime;) )temps. True, high CYA means slam level FC is higher, but some of that FC is protected from the heat and sun by the dreaded CYA... So usually you lose less in between additions, if you are testing and adding multiple times every day. Not to say algae doesn't take its toll on the FC level... But at least you're not trying to juggle the loss to algae and the loss to the sun.

Of course, the best plan is to stay on top of things, so you won't have algae... But you know: best-laid plans and all that....

Plus, just try making the arguement that the water you are draining (or backwashing, or vacuuming...) from your pool isn't really going to waste.... The officer will at least get a good laugh while he's issuing the citation... And the surcharge that the water company tacks on to your bill will make somebody there smile. And then there's the little extra charge you'll see on your sewer bill, because if your water usage went up, it must be because it went into your sewer line. (And they won't waive the sewer charge here, we asked:( )

You can buy a lot of bleach with what you'll pay in penalties, fines, and surcharges...
The cost to top off the water lost to evaporation is bad enough..... I love monsoon rains, because my pool gets filled back up for free.:p

Last edited:
Hello friends. I am happy to report we have a beautiful, clear pool. Thank you all so much. We are going out of town again next week. What should I do to make sure it stays beautiful?

Again, thank you. I will never put anything in the pool until I check here first. ��

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your PH tends to rise lower it to 7.2. Raise FC up to shock level for your CYA. If you have a neighbor you trust get them to stop by and add 5ppm of bleach every couple of days. Keep some extra jugs and premeasure it out and write on it with a sharpie what day it should be added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.