new home owner ..... help!

May 26, 2015
Whitby
Hi, we bought a home last fall which came with an Intex metal frame pool. Unfortunately it looks like the SWG that came with it doesnt work. I tried cleaning it using vinegar and connected everything back together. I keep getting the code 91 for low salt. After reading numerous posts on this very error, I was wondering if I should just go back to chlorine. I am not sure if it is worth buying another SWG this year. I might just invest in another pool next year maybe go for an inground one. What do you think I should do.
Where can i get the test kits mentioned on this site? as of now after running the filter, adding the salt and even though the generator keeps beeping on 91 code; the water looks much better than before. the Test strips show 0 FAC;0.5 TCI; 180 Alk; 8.4 PH; 250 TH; 30-50 CYA
The weather has still been too cold for swimming but I have bought a solar cover and this should warm up the water considerably from all the information I have read on here. Can you help me with suggestions on how togo back to a simple chlorinated pool?
the water we use is regular municpality water.
Thanks

Welcome, eh? :wave:

There is one company that has the monopoly on Taylor test kits in Canuckistan and they charge accordingly. Got any relatives south of the border who were planning to come visit? You might also try Amazon for the Taylor K-2006 kit. Some of those merchants aren't so respectful of Taylor's restrictions and will ship to you. Otherwise, expect to have to hunt and pay a whole bunch of money for a good test kit.

There's no problem using bleach. You can even leave the salt in the water. It doesn't hurt anything, Many people like the feel of a salt pool.

For now, get some acid to lower the pH and some bleach to raise the FC. The strips are generally pretty close on pH. You'll just have to go by guess and by golly on where to set FC until you get a better kit. 30-50 on the CYA isn't real helpful for establishing FC/CYA ratios.

Have you read the ABC's, Recommended Chemicals, and poolmath in Pool School? Those articles should get you started by telling you which chemical does what and how to add it and how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.