Helping a friend: This should be a good one

We still have a pretty big problem. The shallow part of the pool is very small. It extends maybe 8 feet from the stairs and then drops QUICKLY to accommodate someone jumping off the diving board. I am trying to guesstimate in my head, but down to 1ft in shallow end may only be 40% of pool water. I suppose with diluting as we go it will work out.

edit: go back and look at any picture of the whole pool. You can see where the safety rope or whatever is supposed to be attached. That is the end of the shallow end.

I don't think water table is a problem. Take a look at this. In the distance is downhill, and steep downhill at that.

9ne23sM.jpg

It also demonstrates our reluctance to drain. The property is basically in a V. Down from the pool to the house, then a slight uphill to the road. We are going to have to fight the uphill to get the water in the drain ditch.

quite the problem child. I would try and drain more man. you don't want to go thru all that work to only have to do it again. that's how pools turn into flower gardens :)

I would wait for a consensus on how far to drain. I don't have a vinyl pool so cant help out too much. I guess the risk with going lower is that the liner could shift and/or get wrinkles??

Problem child for sure!

YOU know your area. YOU know if it would be safe to drain the shallow end. All I can say is it is up to you. BUT if the deep end IS that deep and big.....................I guess it could hold the shallow end down

Can you bring your hoses over and make one big hose to get the drained water out to the street? Will neighbors let you use theirs?

Friend, what have you gotten yourself into????????? You are someone I would want on my side for sure!

Kim

Last thought before committing to draining. I have heard of people stuffing their skimmer baskets with paper towels to catch metals. Can't hurt to try right?

cant hurt. have you considered rigging up a homemade filter with 1 or 5 micron filters that were being discussed? might be worth a shot to see how much it can pull out, and how quickly. are you handy?

something like this rigged up?
5 Micron 7 Scientific

was thinking you could just use a return jet and a little handy plumbing to connect a hose to the return jet, then set it to flow thru this hanging over the pool. see how much stuff it traps. also avail in 1 micron. might take a while

stuffing something similar in the skimmer could work too, but concerned about restricting flow too much

I've changed my mind already. This has gone on for 6 weeks. I'm not messing with PVC and blue glue.

I am headed over there in an hour and setting everything up and testing. I am going to give her a chance to veto since ultimately it is her house, pool, water and electricity. This is not the best week for everyone involved, fwiw.

The only other option I can see would be to buy a new filter. I believe you'd be see the bottom within 24 hrs of running a DE filter. Any used ones on Craigslist?
I'm not sure how much help a water change will be if you can't do a complete drain.

I've used both the liquid floc and alum and I always had better results with the alum.

You could give it one more try with alum if you want. I would give it 24-36 hours to settle. If it didn't settle by then, then I guess that's it -- drain and refill time.

As I recall, I would have begun to see settlement by 18 hours.

The only other option I can see would be to buy a new filter. I believe you'd be see the bottom within 24 hrs of running a DE filter. Any used ones on Craigslist?
I'm not sure how much help a water change will be if you can't do a complete drain.

I've been wondering about this option also. Obviously money involved but I wonder if it wouldn't be "easier" to somehow add in or switch to another filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's my problem with the partial drain/fill:
If you can drain 50% of the water then after the refill you still have 50% of the dirt remaining.
Another 50% drain\fill & 25% of the original dirt remains.
Again & 12.5% of dirt remains
Again & 6.25% of dirt remains
You've now changed out 46,000 gals of water & still have cloudy water that the filter doesn't seem to be clearing.

I've been following this thread since the beginning, but hadn't checked in in a couple of weeks. All I can say is WOW. Play sand in a sand filter is a textbook example of non-pool-savvy folks getting in over their head. No wonder it was such a mess -- they just gave up on it after they couldn't get it clear.

Post-filtering the water at the returns to 1 micron should clear this pool up in a matter of days, no?

Granted, it will be a considerable amount of work checking, rinsing and replacing the post-filters, but I would think it's got to be a better option (and more effective in the long run) than draining and refilling...

I'm giving the alum floc one try. I am actually out of pocket from tomorrow (Friday) morning to Sunday evening so this actually works out. Quasi-desovled alum floc in buckets before adding through skimmer. Pump ran in recirc for 2 hours then off. I have asked for a picture Saturday afternoon. If that doesn't work I have a slightly better draining plan.

I may read replies this weekend but won't reply. I will only have my phone this weekend and don't "internet" on my phone.

Bruce,

I just read about how you flocced last time and realized you wrote that you recirc-ed for 18+ hours... did you turn off the pump and let it settle for the recommended time (usually at least 24 hours)?

Re-circ mixes the floc into the water, but if you don't turn off the pump, the clumped together particles won't settle!

On the other hand if you were using a *clarifier* then you would re-circ to mix but then filter to grab the stuff that has globbed like gelatin in the filter.

When I've needed it after monsoon dust storms used my pool as their dumping ground (but not the normal dust that sinks) the floc worked like a charm! In the past clarifiers have just been an exercise in futility.

Whatever you try... DO NOT use both in the same season, for the same cleanup issue!!! or you will make sludge soup! The chemical makeup of the two products is incompatible.

Bump the FC up high (shock level) but you wont be able to "circulate" the water via brushing or anything that will disturb the stuff that needs to settle, so maintaining it at shock level isn't gonna happen. Just get it up, and flocc it, then you can bring it up again later after the floc process is done.

Also you will have to go *slow* when you vac so you don't just mix the stuff back in.

I also 2nd the idea of a slime-bag-like filters over the returns, so that you can "vac-to-waste" by running the pump on recirc and still return the water back into the pool, since you have indicated that refilling will be so difficult.

I'd hate to see all the money that's been put in balancing so far be washed down the drain, if the floc works when done properly.

Bruce,

I just read about how you flocced last time and realized you wrote that you recirc-ed for 18+ hours... did you turn off the pump and let it settle for the recommended time (usually at least 24 hours)?

Re-circ mixes the floc into the water, but if you don't turn off the pump, the clumped together particles won't settle!
This would have been good information several weeks ago.

Added 20 oz per instructions to skimmer (without basket) on recirc, will turn off this evening and report tomorrow.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters

I am afraid to even mention this, because I still have yet to use my TF-100 for the first time (noob). But, in speaking with my husband last night and doing a bit of research, I had a thought. Looking at the two glasses of water, it is obvious you have made a lot of progress, the water bottle looks really clear compared to the glass from when you started. A Diatomaceous earth filter might be what you need, but could be costly and not fix the problem. However, you can by a bag of the replacement powder for about $25. So my question would be, could you rig up a temporary "filter" to test whether it worked? Maybe vac to waste through a bucket with the powder into a kiddy pool? Test the water there against the pool water? If it cleans it, you know the DE filter will work?

Diatomaceous Earth Swimming Pool Filtration - In The Swim

Lol, I am scared to hit the post button for fear of being laughed off the forum.

Mr Bruce, there is a special place for you in heaven ;)

My concern with draining (and I would not go lower than a foot in the shallow end -- I have the same kind of drop off in my pool so I know what you mean) is that the sediment may not be adequately reduced, so I'm sendin ya the mojo for a working Floc ;)

Also, your sand filter will be just fine once this is resolved -- it's an extraordinary case. Far cheaper to buy a few slimebags with the ready-made return adapter (since you understandably didn't want to make your own) than the cost and hassle of swapping out the filter.

I honestly think between the floc and slimebag plus a little time, you will get this nailed just by enhancing the filtration.

Here's the link for the ready-made slimebag and attachment gear: The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water.

I am afraid to even mention this, because I still have yet to use my TF-100 for the first time (noob). But, in speaking with my husband last night and doing a bit of research, I had a thought. Looking at the two glasses of water, it is obvious you have made a lot of progress, the water bottle looks really clear compared to the glass from when you started. A Diatomaceous earth filter might be what you need, but could be costly and not fix the problem. However, you can by a bag of the replacement powder for about $25. So my question would be, could you rig up a temporary "filter" to test whether it worked? Maybe vac to waste through a bucket with the powder into a kiddy pool? Test the water there against the pool water? If it cleans it, you know the DE filter will work?

Diatomaceous Earth Swimming Pool Filtration - In The Swim

Lol, I am scared to hit the post button for fear of being laughed off the forum.

NEVER be afraid to throw an idea out. You don't know if it might work. Look at some of my off the wall ideas. A couple of them has even worked so...

This is an idea. I bet when he gets back he will look into it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.