Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover and spillover spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover and spillover spa

Does anyone have experience with solar cover for pools with a raised spa with spill over? Do you cut the cover short to allow the water to fall into the pool?
    28K Gal. IG diving pool, 2 HP Hayward Northstar, Hayward SwimClear C4025, SWG, White Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover and spillover spa

Good question! I was wondering the same also. I figured that would be the way I would go about it.
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3

My spa isn't raised that much, but I cut the solar cover where the water entered the pool. My cut out was about 2'x8". I don't use a cover any more, but didn't get alot of water on top when I did.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

You just cut out the solar cover where the spillover is, to minimize the amount of water that gets on top of the cover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 24" raised spa with spillover. The spillover is about 3 feet wide. I did nothing special -- just put on the cover. When it spills, the water gets on top, but it drains back under right away.

A little water evaporates, and thus there is some cooling, but no big deal. Also, (since a SWG) there is white salt build-up on the top of the cover.

A couple of things to note:

- The cover is a deep blue bubble-wrap type -- it will always float.

- I have cut it into 4 strips about 8 feet by 16 feet. This helps get is in and out, but also allows more areas for the water to get off the top and back into the pool.

- I have the spillover only programed to only run for 45 minutes each day in the early afternoon. This keeps gives water on top of the spillover a chance to drain.

Hope this helps....

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]