It's Pool Repair Weekend!

As for the recurring algae, turns out the 2nd pool guy wasn't maintaining per TFP. He was sending me test results and I'd tell him what to put in/do. HE WASNT DOING IT!

Unfortunately, it resulted in a definite strain on the relationship (he was a neighbor, and someone we called "friend".)

My gut told me it was copper causing havoc. Something he was adding had copper in it when I questioned further and then looked it up. If I remember correctly, he couldn't believe that such small amounts would cause the issue. Honestly, I can't say I really blame him. It did seem a bit absurd! And when you've been using the same pool store for several years (on your own pool) and they have never steered you wrong, it's a big pill to swallow to jump course and do things completely different. But, I was paying him to do X, and he was doing Y. Because he was our neighbor and friend, I paid him fully for every (semi-useless) hour he spent on the pool. He DID put a lot of time in it.

I went down and personally "closed" the pool (no cover, just prepped the lines and pump with RV antifreeze. Seems I might have added something to the water too?) to complete our obligation to the tenant. That tenant moved in October/Nov. House sat vacant for 4+ months (absolute worst timing in the rental market in the area).

The next season I provided the brush, vacuum, test kit, and a binder on how to do TFP (along with the website info and contacts) and the new tenant (who moved in in April) was responsible for maintenance, opening, and closing. They elected to hire someone to take care of it.

I held my breath and waited for a complaint about the water. Evidently they know what they're doing as that tenant has been there for 15 months and we've had no complaints re the pool.

Last edited:
Household!! It's great to hear from you again!!

I just posted about how many people finish their build or major repairs and never return. We don't get to benefit from those guys to see how their work and choices are holding up.

And here you are! I see you came back last year, and the good reports are holding. Wow, you guys should feel gratified and thrilled. I remember reading your build holding my breath with all the crunch times and finding the best answers. Great thread! I saved it to my folder "Big Pool Refurbs". 'Big' applied to both: pool and repairs!

Has the algae been tamed? Do you have any recent photos? Do the tenants enjoy the pool?

Stick around.... You have a lot of experience to share!

:hug: Suz

SUZ!

Last I saw you had just finished the landscaping and had lost a tree that held sentimental value. :-(
How has your pool turned out?! I just checked your initial (82 page!) thread and finding pics would be a needle in a haystack! Link me up!

I posted about the algae just one minute prior to your post. (See above.) I do need to edit to say I THINK it was copper causing issues.)

Unfortunately, no recent pics of the pool. Sorta hard to ask a PM to ask a tenant to send you pics. BUT I do know they have a gigantic gazebo with a beautiful outdoor seating area on the deck (one of the high-dollar U-shaped couches with a fire pit in the middle.) So I believe it's safe to say it's being enjoyed!

Good to hear from you!
(Link me to your pics!)

He walked away with ZERO. Returned the check to the PM who then shredded it. (And our lease states that if the tenant elects to hire someone to maintain the pool, that in no case will [that person or anyone associated with that person] be used.)

AIN'T SKEERED! ?

I did get a bit of the guilts when the 2nd person hired couldn't get the algae to stop. But when I figured out he wasn't following TFP, that quickly subsided, as did his employment by me.

There was a LOT of "my gut is telling me" throughout the entire process. Turns out, much to the credit of the TFP community, I had learned enough for my gut to be right.

If I could do it from 600 miles away, never having personally tested the pool water and making judgments on the water from pictures, ANYone can do it!

The best advice I'd give someone is:

1. JUST GO AHEAD AND GET THE DARNED TEST KIT! (and any suggested add'l parts of it). Don't delay looking for a better price, or "let me see if this works first."!
JUST DO IT!

2. Be prepared to take a long weekend off work and stay around the house so you can be present to do the tests.

3. JUMP IN, to the testing that is. Worst case scenario you waste $25 or so on testing chems. If you'll post your results and pics (pics are important to get attn!) the TFP community WILL jump in and monitor you.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Neglected to tag you, Yippee!

Wait... wait... I wanna know how the lien threat and lawyer business went down? Did he go away with the $150??

Maddie :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

And neglected to tag you too in my reply, Suz!

Household!! It's great to hear from you again!!

I just posted about how many people finish their build or major repairs and never return. We don't get to benefit from those guys to see how their work and choices are holding up.

And here you are! I see you came back last year, and the good reports are holding. Wow, you guys should feel gratified and thrilled. I remember reading your build holding my breath with all the crunch times and finding the best answers. Great thread! I saved it to my folder "Big Pool Refurbs". 'Big' applied to both: pool and repairs!

Has the algae been tamed? Do you have any recent photos? Do the tenants enjoy the pool?

Stick around.... You have a lot of experience to share!

:hug: Suz

And another year has passed . . .

Three years since our DIY crack repair and resurfacing.
Bad news and good news to share.

First, the bad news:
Sasly, we have reached the beginning of the end.
This home has been a rental since Jan 2011. Our most previous tenant moved out at the end of March (2018). I made the trip from DC to Fayetteville a couple weeks ago to check things out.
The pool water was (visually) in good shape. (Tenant elected to have someone do the pool for her.) Whoever was doing it appears to have done a good job. Having said that, she refuses to share the contact info for this person, so I’m nearly waiting for something to go wrong. (Judging from other issues, this seems to be her M.O.).

But unfortunately, we do have some layers starting to lift. The most evident areas are on the wall in the deep end at the water line. There is also one baseball-sized chip on the pool’s bottom in the shallow end.

The long cracks that were repaired in the shallow end are also now glaringly evident. I’m not sure why this is.

I am now realizing how much I do NOT like the color of blue the paint is. It’s much lighter than what was painted over. Just personal preference.

As for the good news:
I added no water to the pool while we were at the house - 6 days. The water level dropped very little, and much of this was from our pooch going in and out. So thus far, the crack patches are holding!

We spent $2000 on this DIY. This included gas, hotel, food, supplies, equipment rental, and having paid for an extra set of hands. For someone looking at the “true” cost of this in a normal situation, I’d easily say it was no more than $1000. Yes, that’s a fair sum of money, but the quotes we received to have someone professionally resurface the pool was in the $30k range and expected to last 30’ish years.

We can expend $1k every 3-4 years a lot easier than we can $30k to last 30 years. So we consider this project a complete success!

With some TLC we’ll easily be able to get by this summer without doing the process again. Next year, we will be able to take a bit more time and pay special attention to the sides. I’ll be sure to order the paint in a brighter blue.

But the best news of it all - we are PCS’ing back to Ft. Bragg this summer!
(While we dislike the area, we love the house, and evenmoreso the pool.)

As I said, this will allow us to do a far better job on resurfacing next spring. But in the year in between, I FINALLY get to try my hand at the balancing of the water the TFP way!

We decided to turn off the pump and let things go the 14 or so weeks while the place sits awaiting our return. Would have cost $80 to run the pump and approx $160 for maintenance per month. Pretty sure we can get the water back to nice for far less than it would cost to keep it going the next few weeks.

Attaching some pics taken during our visit.

I’ll be seeing y’all in the other forums by late June/early July to get things up to par again.

- - - Updated - - -

F873AFFE-8FCA-41CF-98E3-B0B6C38A355A.jpgF873AFFE-8FCA-41CF-98E3-B0B6C38A355A.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2245918B-FFF9-4519-875B-4C6D7580E194.jpg

A18A1461-1BB0-4E97-A7D2-E41AD050FBA7.jpg

0869E279-BD7A-4D05-B81B-AAA9B60EB782.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

23B2D1CE-2914-447D-A732-88FBC4618FA3.jpg

EAC34ED1-5BF5-41C2-B98A-28AF47FEF28F.jpg

P.S. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? He won’t jump in from the side, only enters via steps. And often likes to just sit there and watch.
Silly pooch.

FF45C803-8C39-494D-9D88-0EFA0AA47093.jpg

Pool?!! Was there a pool in that picture?! All I saw was PUPPY!!!!

Your skills fixing the pool up last time were great to read. I just have nothing to advise you with as I don't *do* plaster. Lets give this a bump 'k? :bump:

Now...back to that adorable puppy...... :)

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He’s adorable!

You could block off he steps with a chaise lounge?

I’m sure Kim can give you a nicely typed solution though!

Kim??

Funny how your approach to your pool has a TFP feel to it even though we never recommend painting. Knowing what to put in/on your pool and why. Good job!

Thanks for the follow-up.

An update.
Our plaster has continued to deteriorate. It’s not leaking, but it’s definitely not pretty! Chips everywhere, primarily at the waters edge though.

Mid-seasons it dawned on me what was wrong! I knew our CH was too low, but was in no hurry to correct it as our water was crystal clear and finding ice melt in stock locally in the summer proved to be impossible.

Since we weren’t living in the house and the previous tenants used a maintenance company, I feel fairly sure the culprit to our chipping paint and plaster is due to the low level of CH (I’m talking levels around 50-60, when we should be around 300).

Moral of the story - don’t ignore your calcium hardened level in your concrete plaster pool!

Still don’t regret the decision we made and gob-ton of cash we saved taking on the refurb ourselves. We anticipate a repeat before next spring.

Wow, that's surprizing given the number of years you've had the pool since the repair. I would have expected the CH to keep increasing (maybe not to the desired 300 level but increasing, nevertheless).

So another extended weekend of repairs in the spring?

Wow, that's surprizing given the number of years you've had the pool since the repair. I would have expected the CH to keep increasing (maybe not to the desired 300 level but increasing, nevertheless).

So another extended weekend of repairs in the spring?

When the water you fill your pool with has a lower CH than your pool, it’s not going to go up. Our tap water comes in at 40. I have 2 records of the pool water being 60 this year (different people test in our house on occasion). The rest of them are 50.

Yes, we will resurface again this spring. But I will be present and participating this time. No knocks on my husband as he did a great job, but It’s bound to be even better with me being a bit OCD, plus ensuring the CH is proper.

Yes, we will resurface again this spring.

Wow.. Just read through this for the first time. Impressive to say the least. One thought on the original mystery spots that was not mentioned is a possibility small rust/ metal partials came in the fill water. Whenever you open a hydrant to a fast flow you will always dislodge some old scale and debris in the water main. Depending on the type of pipe was used in the Main, I have seen some pretty Nasty looking waterlines. If your pool guy did not Vac to waste then It would take a long time to get the metal out of the pool. If you do use the hydrant again I would suggest a good long purge time and perhaps a slower flow.

So sorry I did not see the April posts. Not sure why it did not show up....but herr I am now.

Okay doggie-you do not want him sitting there?

You want him to jump in from the sides?

Or both?

Yikes on the ch numbers! At least you will have an easier time finding it as we are coming into the cooler times. Now you can get some to raise it and extra to have on hand for as needed.

Kim:kim:

So sorry I did not see the April posts. Not sure why it did not show up....but herr I am now.

Okay doggie-you do not want him sitting there?

You want him to jump in from the sides?

Or both?

Yikes on the ch numbers! At least you will have an easier time finding it as we are coming into the cooler times. Now you can get some to raise it and extra to have on hand for as needed.

Kim:kim:

We don’t mind him being there or going for a swim when we aren’t pressed for time (he requires being towel dried so as to not share the water collected on his fur across the inside of our home) or adding chemicals (for obvious reasons).

Putting lounge chairs in front of the steps doesn’t work - he pushes them away!

He has yet to jump in from the sides - not sure why, but he won’t do it (yet).

He doesn’t do it AS much now that it has cooled down and the newness of being able to swim whenever he wants has worn off. But when he does it’s usually when he senses we are leaving.

Any thoughts?

He is a smart one! He KNOWS if he jumps in the pool before you leave that you will stop leaving and towel dry him off aka show him some sweet attention LOL Is there any way you can "contain" him before you leave so he cannot get to the pool? I am not sure of your set up so can't be sure what you can do yet. Does he have free access to the pool/yard from the house?

OH What about using your jugs to help keep him from moving the loungers???

I have a couple of ideas but want to know the lay out first.

FIVE YEAR UPDATE.

We took on the task of what I originally referred to as “refurbishing” or “resurfacing” our pool. I now realize that wasn’t technically what we did.

In all honesty I’m now not even sure if we actually have plaster on our pool or if it’s just many layers of paint. There are places you can send a sample of your pool surface to and find out the history, but for us it just really doesn’t matter.

I realize the powers that be on TFP don’t recommend painting a pool. I was told it’s because the paint often fails. My POV is “of course it does!” So does plaster, liners and whatever else a surface can be made of. Even concrete is going to fail at some point. Just because your concrete gets cracks, chips or gets divots doesn’t mean you’re going to completely replace the concrete, right? What you do is repair the bad spots and move along.

I posted above Oct 2018 that our paint had started to chip away. Reason being because of the low CH. I still believe that’s the case. But due to my hubs deploying we “suffered” through the 2019 season with chipped paint (first world problems).
We started losing water mid season 2019, but nothing severe. We kept the pool uncovered and water clear over the winter and by Spring 2020 we needed to run the water about two hours every week or so, but part of that was due to a bad seal in the new valve handle (I replaced the entire head and redid some plumbing over the winter) plus we have to keep the water level very high due to the shallow end being higher than the deep end.

We tackled the pool surface again at the end of May. This time we suffered the wrath of Mother Nature and it took far longer to get things up and going again. But here we sit in our gazebo with a newly painted pool and all is grand once again.

We considered doing an epoxy paint this time, but it came down to “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“ and again went with Insl-X Waterborne (acrylic). But this time we went with the Royal Blue instead of the Ocean Blue, (Note, I learned from last time and knew to order the paint ahead of time. Did so two weeks early and nearly got in a bad spot again due to shipping issues with COVID19. But all turned out ok. I also learned that Home Depot has BY FAR the best price on this paint. Paid $50 per gallon. Phoned three Benjamin Moore paint stores within 50 miles of us and got prices varying from $65 to $100 per gallon.

Many reviews I saw online said the recommended gallons were extremely excessive, but in an abundance of caution I over ordered. Recommended 9 gallons for two coats. I ordered 15. Turned out we used nine, but did have to open our “spare” when we had to redo several places (more on that later).

Time isn’t on my side this evening, so I’ll update with more specifics later, but the key to painting with success is (1) surface prep, (2) cooperative weather , (3) surface prep. Oh, Did I mention surface prep? ?

Attachments

• B7303BA1-B5E8-4F7B-B3BB-35C9FF65804F.jpeg
    B7303BA1-B5E8-4F7B-B3BB-35C9FF65804F.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 52
Looking at our accounts this evening I have a pretty good idea of our costs this time.
We spent:
$475 - rental equipment (feels like we got hosed a bit on this)
$475 - paint (9 gallons from HD)
$70 - buckets, sand paper, deck brushes, rollers, poles, cleaner
$80 - two grinding wheels
$30 - Hydraulic cement and crack sealant
= $1130.

Plus, we were pretty tired at the end of each day and had no desire to cook, so we ordered pickup most evenings. ;-)

Rental equipment needed was two pressure washers (3000 and 3500 psi), one large sump pump, one small sump pump, a drill-type grinder, 2 fire-type hoses. Plus, we re-rented 5 fire hoses to refill the pool from a fire hydrant across the street.

Items we had on hand: palm sander, cordless drill, trowel, scrapers, paint roller frames, extensiinn cords, ladder
To be continued . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.