It's Pool Repair Weekend!

I know the lockdown has made time stand still and all, but 'this weekend' thread lasted 5+ years. Maybe I'm finally losing it, I've been on my last marble for a while now.........

I know the lockdown has made time stand still and all, but 'this weekend' thread lasted 5+ years. Maybe I'm finally losing it, I've been on my last marble for a while now.........

IKR!
As if the virus lockdown wasn’t enough, we have been on an 8pm to 6am curfew for a week due to the riots. (We live in the closest large city to where George Floyd was born, and where yesterday’s memorial was held - about 15 miles away - and had some non-peaceful protesting last weekend (Walmart loooted, mall windows smashed, sporting goods store looted, and the person who tried to burn the mostly-brick market house down and caught himself on fire . . . all within 5 miles of us).

ANYWAY . . . I digress . . .

You see that post #187 was an update from April 2018; post #182 was an update in October 2018; post #199 was a recent update from June 2020.

So many times people post questions and state what they’re going to do, but don’t follow up with the result, especially years later. Seemed to be a good thing to follow up on the same post so anyone wondering can more easily follow.

So many times people post questions and state what they’re going to do, but don’t follow up with the result, especially years later. Seemed to be a good thing to follow up on the same post so anyone wondering can more easily follow.
I love when threads span half a generation. If its still relavant, or sometimes a final review after much usage, its great.

The state of the world, and a 5 year 'weekend' thread was too good to pass up the joke. :)

Paint holding up well the first few months. I was a bit nervous after the rain caused bubbles on the 2nd coat. We scoured the pool and found all those - all in the deep end where rain water pooled up or the slope into the deep end. Pierced them all and sanded, the repainted and let cure.

I didn’t plan for it to take 10 days for the ice melt to arrive from Sams, so was a bit later getting that in than I preferred . . . all 75#’s of it. Took a full week for it to raise up to 450, but has been holding there without addition ever since.

One regret - whatever caulk we used this time around the returns, intakes, and on a few cracks is NOT holding the paint well. (Said it was waterproof and paintable, but I suppose that didn’t mean it would hold paint under water.) Husband said we still have what was leftover, so I need to find it and supply that info.

How large were the cracks that you used the hydraulic cement on? I didn’t fix some of the cracks in mine before paint. I’m afraid they may be leaking. Also we had to use some JB Water Weld around the returns because the caulk didn’t hold up that well. It’s ugly but works.

How large were the cracks that you used the hydraulic cement on? I didn’t fix some of the cracks in mine before paint. I’m afraid they may be leaking. Also we had to use some JB Water Weld around the returns because the caulk didn’t hold up that well. It’s ugly but works.

if there was a visible crack, we covered it with the hydraulic cement, let dry, and sanded down so edges of the patch were less noticeable when painted.
Amazon has something called Fix A Leak we tried several years ago and it did a pretty good job of slowing a leak we had for a year or more. For $25, might be worth a shot?
Fix A Leak Pool Leak Sealer - 32 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K1E99Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DMmnFbV958TXK

Here’s the caulk “crack sealant” we used on some larger linear cracks and around the intakes. It’s Silka Pro Select Crack Flex Sealant.
It seals well, but the paint is coming off.
Looking back, not real sure why we thought it would be ok to paint over!

Attachments

• B3F679B0-8AE9-43BA-BD9D-806DCC08358E.jpeg
    B3F679B0-8AE9-43BA-BD9D-806DCC08358E.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No follow-up? Did you survive the pool repair? Success? Lessons learned? Results t

Well, the thread did begin in 2015. I followed up after it and then again when we redid it again in 2020.
WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT? :geek:

So here we are at the end of the summer of 2023.
Lessons learned from the last redo was anything but a sprinkle of RAIN WILL RUIN ALL BEST INTENTIONS!
So will a ladder that slides down the wall when the plump electrician is on it to work on the light.
The darker/brighter blue fades more.

We could probably get through one more season without having to redo it, but as of right NOW my intentions are to do it again in spring 2024. Why? Because our intent is to sell the house next summer.

We have a few places that are chipping on the edges (bad prep work), the two deep end corners have several large places that have lifted (this was probably places we didn’t address well enough after the rain we encountered.

Because our concrete patio that surrounds the pool hasn’t been maintained properly (sealed), we have some good sized cracks in it. The current plan is to this fall tamp out a layer of sand over the concrete and put down large flat rock over it to update the appearance. We also need to stain the slide tower and gazebo we put up a couple years ago.

What color paint we use on the pool will be determined by what color stone/rock we use to redo the deck.

No regrets. As previously stated, we can afford to drop a few thousand dollars every three years a lot easier than we can $30k to last 30+ years.

Attachments

• IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8464.jpeg
    IMG_8464.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8465.jpeg
    IMG_8465.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: FlapjackMcCoy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.