What to do in the meantime?

Mary, the reason we tell you to put the Cya in a sock and leave it in the skimmer, is so it doesn't get backwashed out. Technically it's usually fine to just pour it in, but you will have to backwash before it all dissolves. In your Case, fill one or two socks with the five pounds. Double check that amount. Most cans are 4lb or 8 lb. I don't know that brand, so it may be five lb new. 4-5 pounds will be just about right. Once it's in the sock(s) and in the skimmer, assume it's in the pool. Give the socks a vigorous squeezing often.

Next, it's time to add bleach, and shoot for 16 PPM FC. It's so close, let's add (3) 121oz jugs of 8.25%. That will bump you a little over 16, which will drop pretty quickly on the front end of this procedure. From here, your job is to test FC, and use Pool Math to raise it back to 16 from wherever you catch it. It will fall back down, and you want this to happen as little as possible. After your first bleach addition, give it about a few hours and re test FC. You'll soon get a feel for how fast it's dropping and that will give you a better idea of how often you need to be testing. You won't have to continue every few hours testing as a rigid timline until done, but at first you want to get a feel for how long your additions are lasting. Have you tried out Pool Match yet? It's easy, but if you need some pointers, just ask. Or ask about anything else before you start if need be.

From here, and once all the above is done, do not test for pH, or Cya. They will be fine.

Shoot. Just realized yesterday I did the daily chlorine test yesterday, not the FC. So now it has been a couple hours, do I do the Chlorine drop test for FC or the chlorine test in the thing with the pH test?

FC tested at 1ppm

The CYA socks have been in there about 2.5-3 hours and are still quite full, I have been squeezing them. And just double checking we are talking about socks that go on my feet right? Not some kind of pool filter called a sock?

- - - Updated - - -

So pool math is saying now I should add 3 gallons, 1 qt. of bleach. WOW

FC tested at 1ppm

The CYA socks have been in there about 2.5-3 hours and are still quite full, I have been squeezing them. And just double checking we are talking about socks that go on my feet right? Not some kind of pool filter called a sock?

- - - Updated - - -

So pool math is saying now I should add 3 gallons, 1 qt. of bleach. WOW

LOL, yep, regular old feet socks. It will take a few days for it to fully dissolve and another few days to fully register on the test.

Yes it is socks that go on your feet. That is a good question for sure!

I am a "get it done now" kind of person. I walked around in my pool while I squeezed the sock. It took quite a bit of squeezing and my hands were sore but............it was done LOL. If you do not squeeze it it could take a couple of days to dissolve all the way just to give a time reference.

Kim

2b02d825c92bf7769feb2d80a7451148.jpg
c871b6ffe8d4da3d1926d280745256e6.jpg
c86f1bf7be364ed9b4ef52a659fed109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We'll FC was .5 about 2.5-3 hrs after adding the three gallons. So another three before bed

Oh ok, that's pretty heavy consumption. You'll have to dose frequently here on the front end of this one. See how it goes tomorrow, but run your first few tests an hour or so apart to check your loss. Conserve your FC powder by not putting in big heaping scoops.

Yeah we have to go buy more bleach. I guess we just need to buy it all! I added 4 gallons this morning, an hour later tested the FC at 1ppm. Are we hurting ourselves by not having enough bleach on hand? It will probably be a couple hours before we can go get some more.

The water did turn pinker than ever but it still only took two drops. (I use a level little scoop, no extra)

My husband keeps commenting how funny it is that the frogs are gone. Our first few nights in the house, the frogs were SO loud at night, and we were getting about 8 a day out of the skimmer. It sounded like a swamp inside the house, it was actually a little cool!

Now we don't have any at all and its so quiet

Your pool has a HUGH appetite! "Feed me!"

Get as much bleach as you can when you go get some. I use a rubber maid type tub when I am in my car. It can hold 4 gals. of bleach safely. I do NOT want any spillage in my trunk so that is all I get. BUT if I am in the truck...............LOL I have not had to get that many at one time thankfully!

Kim

I only tested pH, CYA, and chlorine.

The bleach says it yields 7.86% chlorine.

I had estimated 23k gallons, but then went by the pool store estimate/computer that had our pool in their system as 18k

- - - Updated - - -

my husband is going to squeeze on the cya socks, could the low CYA be a factor?

No, not because of Cya. Not that much in that short a time. The volume difference would play, but it wouldn't account for that much either. When I say weak bleach, I just meant possibly old. If you are buying it somewhere it moves reasonably fast that possibility would be eliminated. You tested pH with the new kit and got about 7.2 or 7.3 right? As Jason mentioned, please run a full set and post the numbers. Test the pH only when you are below 10 PPM FC. So on your next test check FC first, and grab the pH if you are under 10 FC. If it's above 10, the pH test is invalid.

Not that I'm assuming the bleach is old, I'm just covering bases. You can see how old by looking at the date code. There will be 2015 OR 15 then a number like 65 or 100 etc. It will usually look something like 15 092. This would mean the year 2015 and the day 92. Meaning it was made in 2015 on the 92nd day of the year. That's just FYI, and again I'm not assuming it's old. I'm just trying to figure out what the high demand is from. Could be Ammonia, which is somewhat common in your situation. Still not assuming anything at this point. Sometimes they just go this way. It's nothing you're doing wrong, you're doing fine. Just keep doing what you are, and keep updating as you have. Thanks for doing such a great job with that BTW. You'll need to be patient, as it looks like this one will take a while. Don't worry though, if you stick with it, it will come around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.