Lifetime Warranty - What does that mean?

Jay15

Dec 28, 2014
Rockwall, TX
We were just about to sign a contract with our chosen PB, only to find out that their lifetime warranty is not transferable, and this is not negotiable. I think it lessens the value of our asset if we had to sell and they buyer wouldn't benefit from the warranty. So, I checked with our 2nd choice PB, and their warranty is transferrable upon a favorable inspection paid by the buyer. I think this is fine. I've since checked with a few others, with mixed results. Some are like PB #1, others would write it into the contract.

Am I the only one to whom this matters? I haven't seen this covered anywhere, and the first PB was stunned that I cared about that.

Just looking for your thoughts...thanks!

He was "stunned" that you READ the contract LOL.

If he REALLY wants your money he will do what you want him to do. Just explain why it matters to you and see what he says.

It would be interesting to see what else is not transferable..............or not covered at all!

Kim

Kim,

I know...I was stunned right back! They wouldn't budge, so we said "no thanks." They also wanted complete indemnification in case any of their workers were injured/killed on our property, even if PB was to blame! This is one contract I'm really glad I read completely!

Janice

IMO,
I think the warranty terms in many cases may actually not be of the making of the PB. Its my belief that PBs want to do a good job and believe in and support products they provide us. But in the case of a lifetime warranty, Im sure many PBs probably have insurance for a failure of the sorts that could be a seious financial liability for him. As such, the insurance company would dictate the terms of transferrability, and not necessarily the PB.

Of course there are those PBs that assume the risk themselves and keep their fingers crossed and would be wise to not offer transferrable warranty.

In the context of the marketability of your home at some point in the future, it would certainly be desirable to have a transferrable warranty. According to the real estate folks, a pool in gerneral, in the context of real estate marketing, isnt a desirable feature of a home because of the risk a pool brings which limits the market, and hence the possibility of an extended time on the market. So since the market is limited anyway, the tranferrable warranty I belive would be a big plus.

In any case however, if it were me, the warranty terms shouldn't be a definite deal breaker. I would advise to actually go see some of the pools installed by your PB of choice and talk with the homeowner about any probelms or experiences they might have had. The PB should be willing to proivde references. If he isnt, then that would be a red flag in my book.

So I guess this is all I know about the subject.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.