Need to get rid of black algae but unsure of adjusting levels before I shock

Good Morning. I had the FC at 12.5 last night. First thing this morning, its at FC 11.5 and CC 0. Water is clear but its been clear the whole time. I can still see the tiny black spots although they seem to be smaller but that could just be my husband and my imaginations. So, based on other peoples SLAM processes, I have read that one day very rarely does the trick. Even though we have met the three criteria of completing the SLAM process, I'm thinking for safe measures, to hold at the shock level for today and keep up the rigorous brushing. I'm going to clean the filter also. Any suggestions other than this?

In your climate and this time of year, I would hold the FC around 10-12 ppm until the black spots are eradicated. It may take more than a week.

If you allow the FC to drop now, the chances are you will still have black algae.

Despite meeting the other criteria, the fact remains you have visible algae present........that needs to be addressed.

Black algae most always occur after LONG periods of neglect (making it really tough to get rid of) so be patient.

Yes, duraleigh, I completely agree. I just told my husband that these little spots have been hanging out for a long time so I'm guessing they have some serious roots :( Lesson learned. So, FC of 10-12 it will be until they are gone.
On a side note: I've looked at lots of pictures of black algae on the web. Is it that people just post the worst cases? My spots are at most the size of a big nail head and most are smaller than that. They are not in colony formations either. Just here and there in the shallow and deep ends.

Day 5 of Slamming and the black spots are gone in most parts of the pool but I can still see them in the deep end. They have definitely shrunk in diameter and are a shade of gray now. I'm holding the FC between 10-12 daily and continuing to scrub with the SS brush and then using the larger blend brush to brush the entire pool. I have cleaned the filter once and will do it again today. Water is clear. CC is always 0. I'm losing 1 ppm overnight. Still keeping at it with hopes that the deep end spots disappear although I'm sure the spots have pitted the plaster making it a little difficult to tell if there is any algae or just an impression.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been 6 1/2 days since I began the SLAM process and my pool is finally "black algae free"!!! :D Someone pop me in the head if I ever let that happen again.
Thank you to all senior members who have been so helpful and supportive through this past week!!!

I've read so many articles in the last 2 weeks but I'm not positive of what to do first now that all 4 things are done. Yes, I'm adding a fourth thing :) since I needed to also be free of black spots. 1. CC is 0 2. passed OCLT 3. water is clear 4. No black spots

Here are my numbers: FC 10
CC 0
Ph 8 (one drop to get to 7.4)
TA 60
CH 230
CYA below 30, black dot completely visible on test
SI .05
Pool water temp is 54 degrees, swg is off, still have pump running. To avoid black algae again, should I keep my FC range a little higher?

Nice job !
What I would do is bring the CYA level up to at least 30 maybe even go to 40. Your call on that. Then maintain FC levels at a target of 5-6 and never below 2 for CYA of 30 or 6-7 and never below 3 for CYA of 40. With cooler water temps you'll lose a lot less FC. Your FC will hold longer.
Then in the spring when your ready to fire up the SWG, bring your CYA level up to 70-80. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.