Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have been through two different types of these umbellas which were expensive and yet which broke within a couple of years. Anyone have any advice on what brand to use? We like to use one to shade part of the shallow end so that the young kids don't get burnt to a crisp.

I had a round Sun Garden which seemed to be well made but the crank broke and couldn't be repaired - I think I paid about $1200 for it. And then I had another brand that was square and it broke in a couple of places this year.

Here is the Sun Garden that I had (and I still have another one that is lasting a bit longer):
large-P12RDBTR-RS.jpg

I also tried a much cheaper brand from Home Depot but I don't think it even lasted one season.

Anyone have any good experiences with these things?

And any opinions on using a permanent base as opposed to a big hunk of plastic that you fill with water and sand or a granite base?

My wife bought a Coolaroo 12’ online during a spring sale for around $250 delivered.

m001023681_sc7_zpsd8b989dd.jpg

The umbrella section is simpler than yours with no frills but it’s made well.
The tubing and crank mechanism seems to be sturdy and so far held up well for the last 4-5 months. I close and collapse it during strong a wind, which makes me use the crank a lot, no problems.

The real short fall is the base or lack there of!
I had to use 4 of our larger size pavers to make sure its not going anywhere and it does not look as good as the finished base of the unit you have
base_zpsa0532f8f.png

For the price I’m happy with it & I’m pretty sure we will get at least 2-3 seasons with it but you never know.

Sun Garden parts are available in the US via mail order.

We have one that is 10 years old and I just replaced the canopy last year, and did a re-cord this year.

Great Umbrella !

I have been through two different types of these umbellas which were expensive and yet which broke within a couple of years. Anyone have any advice on what brand to use? We like to use one to shade part of the shallow end so that the young kids don't get burnt to a crisp.

I had a round Sun Garden which seemed to be well made but the crank broke and couldn't be repaired - I think I paid about $1200 for it. And then I had another brand that was square and it broke in a couple of places this year.

Here is the Sun Garden that I had (and I still have another one that is lasting a bit longer):
large-P12RDBTR-RS.jpg

I also tried a much cheaper brand from Home Depot but I don't think it even lasted one season.

Anyone have any good experiences with these things?

And any opinions on using a permanent base as opposed to a big hunk of plastic that you fill with water and sand or a granite base?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.