Another Green Pool Battle

Thanks Beens... I did remember and planned for it... I have already run it all night a few times and with a few more my electric bill this month should be rather eye opening :)

Well of course it's raining here again so that made me think of a question: How will I manage the OCLT if it keeps raining at night?

WOOHOO! Out for delivery!

Just a reminder (or in case it hasn't already been mentioned) Once you start your SLAM the pump should be running 24/7 until you're done. :)

Finally the kit got here and I just spend the last 30 minutes reading and testing. I don't think I am the only one that was a little "humbled" when doing these tests for the 1st time. I did a few of them more than once and I will be doing it again in the AM because unfortunately were having a heavy thunderstorm so I need to wait until it passes and I am questioning my accuracy. In the meantime here are my "1st Run Results" which have me concerned and puzzled:

FC: 46
CC: 1.5
TC: 47.5
CH: 550
TA: 80
CYA: 90
PH: 7.5 or 7.6

The only ones that look questionable are the FC/CC ones (and FC is obviously more questionable than CC).

Did you use a 10ml or 25ml water sample, and did you count the R-0871 drops as 0.2 ppm or 0.5 ppm ? That seems like the most likely thing to get wrong on your first time using the kit.

The other potential error is using the same jar for measuring out bleach and collecting water samples :D

I used a 10ml sample in the "Chlorine Only" mixing bottle but I had taken my sample from the pool using one of the store sample bottles and then pouring the samples from that... I multiplied the drops by .5

The only ones that look questionable are the FC/CC ones (and FC is obviously more questionable than CC).

Did you use a 10ml or 25ml water sample, and did you count the R-0871 drops as 0.2 ppm or 0.5 ppm ? That seems like the most likely thing to get wrong on your first time using the kit.

The other potential error is using the same jar for measuring out bleach and collecting water samples :D

Unfortunately that's exactly what I have on my scratch pad that I used for notes while running the tests 92 drops x .5... I just can't believe that's correct I think I must have done something wrong... for piece of mind if the storm stops later tonight I am going to grab another sample

Are you sure you multiplied by .5 and not 5? Divide by 2 should get the same answer. You would have had to put in 92 drops of R0871 to get a FC of 46 :confused:

Just read back through the thread -- don't think I saw any mention of adding enough chlorine of any form to get an FC reading that high.

Might be worth doing the FC/CC tests again -- rinse everything out with tap water first, then rinse with a bit of pool water & pour out before putting the 10ml of water in.

How much powder did you use for the FAS-DPD? Does it start with a deep pink? You are using the R-0871 reagent right?

Which kit did you get? If you got the TF-100 (I hope) then do the yellow OTO chlorine test and report back.

I used a slightly rounded blue spoonful and it turned DARK I wouldn't even call it pink it was so dark, it was more like purple. I just double checked to make sure about the agent and yes it was the R-0871. The kit is the TF-100 with the spinner (which you guys were all right about.. it's an excellent add-on). When I did the OTO Yellow it was dark ORANGE.

It has stopped raining and right after I finish dinner I am going to go out and take another sample. The pump is still running and I also made sure that the chlorinator was turned to "off".

If I can I will take pics of my next tests to see if that helps.

How much powder did you use for the FAS-DPD? Does it start with a deep pink? You are using the R-0871 reagent right?

Which kit did you get? If you got the TF-100 (I hope) then do the yellow OTO chlorine test and report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All I have been adding is liquid chlorine by the gallon in front of the jets at night. Their may be some tabs left in the chlorinator Im not sure... I will check that later.

I dont get how I went from so low that I had algae to a super concentrated fc level

Well the dark orange on the OTO confirms that you FC is indeed very high ... although over 40ppm is a little surprising.

How have you been adding chlorine?

Well, every bottle was adding 5ppm of FC ... I suppose it could have added up, but with a green pool I am surprised ... the high CYA was protecting it a good bit from the sun as well.

And this is why we usually say test and dose and not just keep adding ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I know I told you to add one bottle each evening, but that was only 4 days ago, so that only added 20ppm of FC ... and I thought that would be consumed.

This is going to take some figuring out.

You added one gal. of __________? each night. What was the %?

Is there any way someone else added something else? Can you go check your inline? Are there any pucks left? If so what is it turned to?

We might learn something for you once we figure out what happened!

Kim

Wed 5 Gal @ 11% + 2# bottle of SunCoast SpotOut (99% TRICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE) (I think 4 partial pucks are in chlorinator and it was set to full on)
Thur 1 Gal @ 8.5 %
Fri 1 Gal @ 8.5%
Sat 1 Gal @ 11% (I changed to a different brand after cleaning my front driveway, sidewalks and other stuff)
Sun 1 Gal @ 11%

No one else would have done anything to the pool since they think I am a mad scientists now :) I can't check the pucks tonight to see whats left but I know its turned to off now... I will check first thing in the AM.

Should I leave the pump running all night as if this is already in the SLAM process?

This is going to take some figuring out.

You added one gal. of __________? each night. What was the %?

Is there any way someone else added something else? Can you go check your inline? Are there any pucks left? If so what is it turned to?

We might learn something for you once we figure out what happened!

Kim

Last edited:
I'd say yes for the pump on.

Now for that cya level, that's going to need to come down.

90 is pretty close to as high as the test goes. It might be a good idea to do the diluted method for testing the cya. It involves using half pool water and half tap water and then doubling the result. The instructions for that can be found in the extended test kit instructions. Sorry u don't have the link handy. Middle of the night phone typing is driving me nuts. If you search "extended test kit instructions" on the forum page you'll get it. If you don't already know it.

Lowering the cya will save you on chlorine for the slam.

Ok falling asleep here. If I keep typing it's going to start making less and less sense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.