1963 pool resurection

Thanks for following. Need to get some pool guys over to check it out now that its empty.
Rebar is still there. Pretty rusty though. I imagine we will have to break out existing Crete to tie in new rebar and re shoot. Hopefully wont be a big deal since we will already be doing that type of work to add the spa.
Now to get through the red tape at the city...

Thanks for following. Need to get some pool guys over to check it out now that its empty.
Rebar is still there. Pretty rusty though. I imagine we will have to break out existing Crete to tie in new rebar and re shoot. Hopefully wont be a big deal since we will already be doing that type of work to add the spa.
Now to get through the red tape at the city...

Yep, all that can be done. Getting through the red tape will likely be the hardest part of all...no offense, but especially in Cali. The things I hear about regs of all kinds there makes me wince sometimes.

brushpup- unfortunately its true here. especially in long beach, they are an unfriendly city when it comes to the building department. i know of many instances here where people have had things like additions or backhouses on their property that were not permitted and were forced to tear them down. even if they were existing previous to ownership. for example, if i were to just get this pool up and running without a permit they would make me remove the pool in its entirety and at my own expense of course. rumor has it that they have had some serious issues in the past with pools that were poorly done and caused some problems so they are pretty tough on pools.
however when i installed the urinal in my garage, i had no permit and the inspectors who were here to inspect the home improvements previously mentioned thought it was the coolest thing ever. so it just goes to show you that it all depends on who you deal with, not neccesarily everybody will be a jerk. its just a matter of finding the right person to approve the project.
i actually work in the inspection dept. at my job and know this to be true. so, heres to hoping i can find the right person to make this happen. i dont give up easily. usually not ever.
on another note, i was moving some dirt around last night and dontthink the deep end hole is quite as big as originally thought. looks like the main drain was removed though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pool is going to be sweet when it's all said and done! Do it by the books so they can't come back and bite you. I hope you can keep the tiles. They are pretty cool and you just don't see them anymore! :cool:

Looks like the tiles will clean up. Have you decided to keep them? When you get closer to being done, you can try scrubbing them with a dilute solution of water/MA to see if the hard water line will lessen. Plenty of time for that later. Thanks for the continuing updates. Is there any chance you'll be able to swim this summer?

yeah the tiles cleaned up pretty easily. like i said about 3 minutes with a water/bleach mixture and a household sponge!
we would love to keep all tiles and coping and even these built in steps if somehow possible. they did incur a bit of damage from the shovels since they were not visible under the dirt. they appear to be made of porcelain and also have the blue haven logo on them. i will try blue haven to see if there is any chance they may have some old stock somewhere as these would be awesome to keep it original if at all possible.

not likely to swim this summer but anything can happen.
red tape is the next and biggest obstacle at the moment. ill keep you posted when we can get a real answer. i have a few ideas on to get through this. we will see how it goes...

Good Luck! Those tiles are wonderful as are the steps! Any chance Blue Haven would be interested in helping you get the permit in some way since the pool could be great evidence in support of Blue Haven quality? I really hope you get the permit because the pool will be a charm.

He likes designing new pools but I wonder if Animal Planet's Poolmaster would be interested because of the historic value of the pool.

I believe the book below was published in 2012. (I don't own it but may buy it.). Maybe, the editor/publisher would be interested in your pool restoration project and could help with the red tape?

Backyard Oasis: The Swimming Pool In Southern California Photography 1945-1982Edited by Daniell Cornell ISBN: 978-3-7913-5176-6

swimcat- never heard of him.
i will contact blue haven to see if they have any old stock tiles or steps for this project. i did call them last year about it or any records of it, and the person i spoke to had no interest at all in what i was doing and suggested if i wanted to retrieve any records of the build that i pay $200 or $300 for someone to search through boxes in their warehouse to see if anything could be found.
you would think this would be good advertising for the quality of the installations. maybe i just spoke to the wrong representative. who knows?
anybody know if these steps could be repaired?

Okay so I just showed my husband the pic of the broken steps. He says you CAN fix them! Here is a link to what he says to use. The color will be harder to match. He says to paint it with boat paint. It should be were you get your epoxy from if you buy it from a marine shop.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6wycpgwgjp_b

I hope this helps. He says to "play" with it before you try to use it for real to get a feel for it. Good luck!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.