1963 pool resurection

awesome guys thanks.
daytime drama, do you have any contact info for ozzie? there are some exact tiles and built in wall steps that I need in his photos. man, ive been out of the skateboarding culture for a while but do have fiends who still skate pools. great idea! im sure they run into stuff like this a lot.
will also check out backyard oasis among other things to make this happen...

no sorry I just found it googling. try to message his fb page? https://www.facebook.com/bluetileobsession I bet if this were 20 years ago you'd find so many people demo-ing those pools happy to give you some (after seeing those pics, I think I vaguely remember our old pool in Palm Springs had that Sunset seahorse.) Or maybe arm your old skateboarding friends with a couple pics of the tile and to call you if they stumble upon them.

I wonder if you could have it replicated? I mean you can find places that make Malibu Tile reproductions, why not Blue Haven pool tiles!

just got off the phone with blue haven rep. no interest at all in the project once again. (they think im nuts) also told me there is no way they would have any old stock anything. lame.
oh well, back to the old drawing board.

You are breaking your back with hopefully a fun project and you're looking for a little help and Blue Haven Pools doesn't want anything to do with their own pool. Hopefully someone considering their company will see this and maybe rethink their decision to hire them.

I hope it turns out to be a jewel and you can brag to anyone who sees that tile that yes that's the company that built it originally but you're the one who restored it and brought it back to life WITHOUT any help from them as they had no interest in participating in the restoration. You'll need to have a photo book out on the table showing the progress as anyone coming over to your house isn't going to believe it without seeing the photos.
I hope so much you get this thing past the city.

lets just say that a certain pool company whose name is on my pool has a less than stellar reputation these days. its not hard to see why. back in the day they were probably ran by people who cared and used quality craftsmanship that was pretty standard then and rare today. whatever. I don't need them. I just thought I would run it by them. no biggie.
here is the skimmer which I finally uncovered.

Have you had any feedback on how to patch the holes? I am not a pool builder but I did install my own pool and have done a lot of cement work. IMO:

Keep the spa separate. I think think that separate hot tubs are so much more useful, cost effective and easy to maintain. And it would greatly reduce the plumbing complication of getting this pool operational.

On the holes, I would get a good cement saw and:
A. undercut the lip of the holes like "\".
B. grind parallel and perpendicular 1" trenches into the shell around the hole across from each other.
C. dig the hole back and fill with gravel. a few inches below shell level.
D. Clean it out good.
E. Lay rebar in the trenches.
F. Epoxy it in.
G. Spray the whole area with cement bonding agent and fill and level with high strength cement.
H. Then do whatever prep is necessary to have a new plaster shell applied.

thanks for the input keithw.
well, I had two pool guys come by today and check it out. (I was at work at the time) #1 came by to check it out and take some measurements. haven't heard back from him yet.
#2 did the same, however we did speak afterwards. he seems to think like I do about the repairs and spa location. he also said he would visit the building department here in long beach to see what we would need to do to satisfy them. pretty promising (hopefully)
like all the others though, he wants to change the tile and coping because it is "outdated".
am I the only one out there that wants an "original" styled pool? doesn't anyone want to preserve the craftsmanship and style of old? its bizarre to me. I also refuse to update my kitchen to stainless steel and granite countertops. this stuff will all be outdated itself soon if you ask me. we bought this house because no one had ever did any updates to the original style and we simply add the modern conveniences of todays technology and blend it all together. we hope to do the same with the pool of course. it only makes sense to me.
hold on, pool guy #1 just called. hes on his way to tell me what he thinks...

I love love love the idea of keeping the tile. As long as it's clean, safe and not falling apart I dont see the problem. When you have a pool like that already, and especially since its part of the history of the 'big dig' I think it's special to revive the old tile if possible. Have you thought what you might use in the spa though?

If we could buy an old 30s style fridge we would (and trust me I'm looking). The stainless steel behemoth looks so out of place in our original kitchen next to the 1930s Magic Chef. (PS I also hate granite)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well pool guy #1 had a lot to say. first off he says the tile has lost its glaze and will be next to impossible to keep clean and we would likely regret keeping it once the plaster was redone and it was too late to do anything about it. good point. the coping he says would probably be ok to keep but the inspectors are pretty tough around here and would likely see the chipped section as hazardous and not allow it. he also mentioned that the rebar was running awfully close to the surface and beginning to rust through in some spots which we would likely also regret after it was too late if we didn't take action now while we have the chance to fix it. he seems legit in the things he said. he talked about me not coming back to him in 5-10 years from now when these things become a serious issue.
I must admit that I liked the way he talked about 10 years as a short time. he was saying things like 30 years from now you may want to do this or that as if it were perfectly natural for things to last that long. the way it should be. ill have to absorb what we talked about for a few days and see if they still make sense to me. no fast talking no pushing to sign contracts or anything like that. been in business since the 50's in the same location. family business. small crew of dedicated workers. no subbing out the different jobs. different crews who specialize in their craft but work only for them. 3-4 month turnaround for "turn key" backyard and pool complete however we want it. interesting. kind of took me by surprise as I was looking at piecing it all together myself. something to consider for sure.
ideas included raising the floor to cover holes and create more enclosure over rebar. moving skimmer to shallow end of pool since that's the way the wind blows more frequently and hiding the pool equipment behind the spa so you cant see it but can access it easily.
also didn't see a problem with permits as he has done lots of pools in the area.
lets see what guy #2 has to say tomorrow.
daytime drama- have you looked at Elmira or big chill refrigerators? they are way cool but pretty darn pricey. old school cool with modern day technology.
cheers!

I have nothing to add except my continued fascination with your project and a huge grin reading your new sig.

Good luck, dumbcluck! (that wasn't intended to rhyme) Hoping this all turns out well for you.

thanks for the input keithw.
well, I had two pool guys come by today and check it out. (I was at work at the time) #1 came by to check it out and take some measurements. haven't heard back from him yet.
#2 did the same, however we did speak afterwards. he seems to think like I do about the repairs and spa location. he also said he would visit the building department here in long beach to see what we would need to do to satisfy them. pretty promising (hopefully)
like all the others though, he wants to change the tile and coping because it is "outdated".
am I the only one out there that wants an "original" styled pool? doesn't anyone want to preserve the craftsmanship and style of old? its bizarre to me. I also refuse to update my kitchen to stainless steel and granite countertops. this stuff will all be outdated itself soon if you ask me. we bought this house because no one had ever did any updates to the original style and we simply add the modern conveniences of todays technology and blend it all together. we hope to do the same with the pool of course. it only makes sense to me.
hold on, pool guy #1 just called. hes on his way to tell me what he thinks...

I'd love to see a pic of how you blended the retro kitchen :D That sounds way cool.

I agree with you divin Dave. He is the stand out guy so far. Only the third one who actually showed up. I have gotten blind quotes from guys who can't even be bothered to look at it.
Guy #1 can't even touch it for a few months either so no rush. Could be done just in time for winter.

Sounds like guy #1 knows what he's doing. And if you can't save the tile, you could still do a retro style and maybe you can incorporate the original tiles somewhere else.

I have seen those fridges and they're awesome, but too 50s in style for us. The house is 1936 spanish colonial and not much has been touched.

dumbcluck, I just found this thread last night, it's definitely one worth following! I agree about pool man #1. I also like daytimedrama's idea about using the old tile somewhere else. Best of luck to you on this project. I'm glad to hear that the builders don't expect a problem getting permits. I can't wait to see your pool full of sparkling water and smiling faces.

If guy one has been around then he will have much lees of a problem getting a permit.

My pool was built by a integrated pool builder and I liked it a lot. No passing the buck. Guys who had been there a long time. If there was a problem the crews knew each other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.