New Pool -- Southlake, TX (near Dallas)

I just noticed that your pool and my pool are at the about the same stages of construction. We are also having to do a retaining wall on our backside of pool due to our sloping yard. We just completed gunite this Saturday and stone and tile are set for next week after July 4th holidays.
We are in Flower Mound so not too far from you. I will be taking some pictures shortly.

redraider373 said:
I just noticed that your pool and my pool are at the about the same stages of construction. We are also having to do a retaining wall on our backside of pool due to our sloping yard. We just completed gunite this Saturday and stone and tile are set for next week after July 4th holidays.
We are in Flower Mound so not too far from you. I will be taking some pictures shortly.

Great! There is so much value and learning going on in this forum from all the sharing......I look forward to the pictures!

As you can see from my posts, we went for the natural, curved, understated look without sharp corners or high-tech touches like colored LED's, etc. I think those things are really cool, but since we had a half-acre of back-yard with nothing but grass and lots of trees, we thought it would be a good look vs. the striking and more contemporary approach. We shall see..............

OK, this is going really fast! I am having a hard time believing how much it changes every day! Here is a photo at the conclussion of day 13 showing the retaining wall, coping with cap flagstone and tile and boulder water feature all done!

Electrician comes tomorrow to run the feed from the main panel to the equipment.

Decking starts Monday with painting layout on ground.

Ed

Attachments

• sandstone wall with Oklahoma flagstone for cap and showing tile.jpg
    sandstone wall with Oklahoma flagstone for cap and showing tile.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 383
So here we are on the morning of day 14. The electrician showed up this morning to run new circuits and connect pool light and pool equipment to house electric panel which is all the way on the other side of the house.

Also, I am posting some additional pictures below of tile, coping, and water feature. This work was finished yesterday but light was fading before I could get good pictures.

Attachments

• water feature and sun bench taken from inside pool on day 14.jpg
    water feature and sun bench taken from inside pool on day 14.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 363
  • close-up of tile and oklahoma flagstone coping.jpg
    close-up of tile and oklahoma flagstone coping.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 364
  • electricians running new circuit underground from other side of house.jpg
    electricians running new circuit underground from other side of house.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 364
Update on Day 17 after start of dig:

Most of what has happened in the last few days has not made much of a visible impact:
* Electrician came to run new 80 Amp circuit underground to equipment area and connect pool light and install new switch.
* Drains were installed under area where pool deck will be poured
* Framing and grading with soil accomplished in prep to pour pool deck
*Wood frames removed around perimeter of pool which served as forms for gunite[/list]

Here is a picture showing where we are ready for pool deck to be poured:

[attachment=1:t26l06dy]end of day 17 set for deck to be poured.jpg[/attachment:t26l06dy]

[attachment=0:t26l06dy]walkway set for pool deck to be poured.jpg[/attachment:t26l06dy]

Attachments

• end of day 17 set for deck to be poured.jpg
    end of day 17 set for deck to be poured.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 331
  • walkway set for pool deck to be poured.jpg
    walkway set for pool deck to be poured.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 332
Update after day 20 of construction project: We are at the second inspection point required by the city where we live. First one was right before gunite was shot into pool. We passed that inspection on the first try and as you can see from earlier posts the gunite went in quickly.

The second inspection was yesterday before the concrete could be poured for the pool deck. This time the inspector gave us a correction notice (a red ticket) because the bonding wire was not properly attached to all the individual slabs that will make up the pool deck. So the crew repaired the issue and today we were re-inspected and got the green tag to go ahead with the concrete pour for the pool deck.

There is about a 2-4 day backlog in the concrete crews so we are looking at pool decking being poured late this week: Thursday, Friday or Saturday. As soon as that gets done I will post some more pictures.

Pool Deck has been poured! Today is day 22 of this construction project and we have a pool deck! The crew got things wrapped up just before some rain came through -- whew! Rain is a rare thing these days in DFW, this was first measurable rain since before construction began. But we were lucky and rain is always welcome in our current state of drought.
[attachment=2:17nlunlf]pool deck being poured 1.jpg[/attachment:17nlunlf]
[attachment=1:17nlunlf]pool deck being poured 2.jpg[/attachment:17nlunlf]
[attachment=0:17nlunlf]pool deck aggregate finish being washed on day 22.jpg[/attachment:17nlunlf]

Attachments

• pool deck being poured 1.jpg
    pool deck being poured 1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 255
  • pool deck being poured 2.jpg
    pool deck being poured 2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 256
  • pool deck aggregate finish being washed on day 22.jpg
    pool deck aggregate finish being washed on day 22.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 256

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View of entire deck area (we did not choose to have a big deck area) at dusk of day 22. Circular area at back of picture is where diving board is located. We have three poured sections with gaps between them linking the patio on right with the circle around diving board.

This helped us deal with the uneven slope more easily (and more cheaply) than if we had a continuous poured deck.

Landscaping goes into area behind water feature so no decking there.

Existing wood deck in foreground is being redesigned to flow into pool deck and new wood for deck (existing wood deck is 16 years old).

[attachment=0:gknznmcn]pool deck is finished by dusk day 22.jpg[/attachment:gknznmcn]

Attachments

• pool deck is finished by dusk day 22.jpg
    pool deck is finished by dusk day 22.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 256
Getting Closer! May have water in the pool in a week! :lol:

Yesterday the appearance of the pool area improved dramatically. The PB hauled off all construction trash, brought in topsoil to grade the area around pool and fill flower beds, and the plaster crew came in to clean out all the trash in the pool and smooth out the gunite to prepare for plastering next week.

[attachment=0:175qwfov]pool deck and soil grading complete day 23.jpg[/attachment:175qwfov]

Today (Saturday) we expect to see the plumbing crew come in to install the pool plumbing fittings where we currently still have PVC stubs shooting out through the gunite walls and floor.

Monday we hope to see the plumbers back out for another pressure test and equipment check.

Tuesday should be drainage pipe completion and sprinkler system re-install, repair and adjust.

Then....................final inspection Wednesday in preparation for plastering and then acid wash on Wednesday/Thursday.

There is rain in the in the forecacst this week (up to 40% probability a few days) so we may not be able to move that fast, but if we do then we might have some hoses running water to fill the pool next weekend!!

Attachments

• pool deck and soil grading complete day 23.jpg
    pool deck and soil grading complete day 23.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 221
Well, we got a break in the rain for 2 days so we accomplished a few things even though we have not yet been able to plaster:

• -re-installed fences that had been removed during construction
    -modified fences to meet code (self-closing gates, minimum latch height 54", and alter one gate to swing out not in)
    -installed final drainage pipes and extensions to carry deck runoff well water away from pool
    -passed final city inspection
    -retested all equipment and performed another another pressure check
    -repaired and relocated sprinkler system to accommodate pool and new landscaping
    -finalized plans and signed contract for new wooden deck to replace existing wooden deck adjacent to pool

I'll try to post another picture or two tonight just so you won't forget what it all looks like :wink:

***Plaster scheduled for Monday weather permitting***

My wife is the one who really came up with it up first, but I really love the idea of minimal decking where ever possible. Love that on yours. A lot of builders still seem to think everyone wants at least 4ft. of kool dek all around the pool, but I think those guys are still stuck in the 80's. I so wish we had more builder choices here as we are whittling them down and getting worried about finding one we like. I've been picturing something similar for the diving board deck area, but your circle idea is kinda neat.

plaster is underway.jpg[/attachment]Day 26 and it's time to plaster!

Crew showed up at 6:30 AM to begin the prep, today is plaster day!

Attachments

• getting ready to plaster on day 26.jpg
    getting ready to plaster on day 26.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 129

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.