6 Questions for New So Cal Pool Build: 1. SWCG vs Ozonator 2. # of spa Jets?, etc

Hello Fellow Pool Users!

My wife and I are putting in a new smaller pool (24' x 16') in Orange County, Ca. We have been meeting with Contractors and have more questions than answers and I was hoping for some clarification. I built a home theater a few years back, and used the website AVS forum, which was tremendously helpful and keep me away from the snake oil salesmen!

1. One contractor is heavily pushing an UltraPure ozonator at a $2500 cost. (Is this high?) It appears from reading other posts, most forum users lean toward a SWCG. If that's the case, what should a SWCG system cost?

2. We are planning a 9 foot by 6 foot spa with 10 jets. Do we need TWO PUMPS for this size of spa? If the spa was full with 8 people (rarely), we were planning on 6 positions with 2 back jets, and 2 positions with 1 jet. (I am use to a free standing spa, so I lean toward more jets than less, although I know it's a different experience).

3. Any pros/cons with installed 24" x 24" travertine (or Versailles pattern) for the deck?

4. Any recommendations for contractors in Orange County? You can private message me.

5. Any details that should be included in the contract that would be important? All of the contractors here are quoting for Pentair equipment. Other than model #'s, the contracts are skimpy, with a lack of detail that seems to give the advantage to the PB if an issue arises.

6. We are planning a 9' x 4' high tiled walled as the back side of the spa for a focal point. We are currently planning one 3' water fall about 17" above the water line. Will this be quiet enough for conversation? I'd prefer not to use a pea stream(s) of water. Any other alternatives for this situation that might be better?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Hello Fellow Pool Users!

My wife and I are putting in a new smaller pool (24' x 16') in Orange County, Ca. We have been meeting with Contractors and have more questions than answers and I was hoping for some clarification. I built a home theater a few years back, and used the website AVS forum, which was tremendously helpful and keep me away from the snake oil salesmen!

(1) $1,500

(2) That's a tricky question. Our PB recommended two pumps based on the number of jets (10) and the distance of the spa from the pump. (There is one other hydraulic solution, but not sure it will work for more than 10 jets. Also keep in mind that if you are not getting a separate pump for the waterfall, one pump would have to run the pool, the spa, and the waterfall.)

(3) Other than the variation in the stone pieces, I can't think of any.

(4) Will PM you the name of our contractor. They have been exceptionally good.

(5) The better contractors will itemize all the costs for you, including unit costs for everything from plumbing lines to wall cap. Features that seldom get much attention until they really matter: the pipe size for suction lines (3" is best) and the finish for the drains (e.g., pebble surface).

(6) A water wall feature is quieter, but not as dramatic. From what I've read, the higher the waterfall feature is above the water, the louder it might be.

Will PM you the name of our contractor. Good luck.

I've had good luck running 10 jets off an Intelliflo XF but I've been automating a filter bypass valve so the jet action isn't compromised if the filter is dirty. Typically 8 jets is about all you'd want to run off a single pump.

Save the money on the ozone system, they are nearly worthless in a residential pool. A Pentair Easytouch 8 w/ SWG is $1800.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.