new pump

May 3, 2013
I am replacing a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 2 speed pump and motor with a Whisperflo 2 seed pump and motor. The new wiring is my concern. The old pump had a wall mounted switch where up was high speed, middle was off and down position was low speed. The new pump has the 2 speed switch mounted on the motor. What would be the easiest and most sensible way to wire in this new pump?

You can either just not use one of the wires from the wall switch with the pump switch selecting speeds.

Or disconnect the pump switch and use the wall switch for everything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Dino1287 :wave:

I think you will be able to look at how the old pump is wired and do it the same way on the new pump. Are both pumps the same voltage?

Yes, same voltage, hp, sf. The new pump has only 3 wire connections while i have 4 wires from the old pump.

Dino1287 said:
linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Dino1287 :wave:

I think you will be able to look at how the old pump is wired and do it the same way on the new pump. Are both pumps the same voltage?

Yes, same voltage, hp, sf. The new pump has only 3 wire connections while i have 4 wires from the old pump.
Open the switch box and pull the switch out, but don't disconnect the wires just yet. Odds are you will see three wires from the panel to the switch and four from the switch to the motor.

Probably the easiest thing is to match the colors and use wire nuts and buy a new solid cover for the switch box. Yank out the extra wire. Although that may not be up to the Electrical Code - I'm not an electrician.

The other option is to disconnect the conduit (hopefull it's flexible and long enough) from the switch box and move it directly to the new pump. Then lose the switch box and the conduit from it to the old pump.

Maybe you should post a few pictures, especially one showing the wall switch pulled open so we can see the wires.

The reason you only have three wires from the new pump is that the speeds are controlled inside the back cover so you only need power(2) and ground(1) ran out of the cover. On the old pump you have a remote mounted speed switch so you needed L1, High, Low and ground; four wires total. I suggest that you just unhook the speed switch in the cover and use your existing wiring on the new pump.

Thanks everyone for your help. I discovered once i removed the back of the motor to connect the wires, there is a way to bypass the toggle switch installed on the back. I disconnected the toggle switch and wired this new pump exactly like my previous pump. Everything works great. I guess i should have looked at it more closely before i asked for help, but i had to make so many plumbing changes to the existing setup, i figured the motor would be a problem as well.
New Whisperflo pump works great.
Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.