3D printed CCL test kit holder and eBay stirrer adapter for test tube

Jan 23, 2018
Canberra ACT
Not even got the pool up yet but ordered the Clear Choice Labs fresh water test kit (salt to come later) and when I got the kit in the box I wanted something a bit more solid to stand everything in so I broke out Fusion360 and designed a multi part holder for the kit.
I broke it up into sections so that if people did want to print it on most of the normal size printers they could...
Here's a rendering of the holder/stand direct from the software.
46551689221_bcfc01db9c_c.jpg
[/URL]Capture by Phil Gartner, on Flickr[/IMG]

and here it is printed out.
46499841902_f944eae98a_c.jpg
[/URL]_C313694 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr[/IMG]

The test tube section is printed in a clear ABS that ends up being quite white, it also can be detached and place to the side.
46551689171_75e593b15e_c.jpg
[/URL]_C313697 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Of course living in Australia we can't get hold of the recommended Taylor Speedstir so I ordered a common magnetic variable speed stirrer from eBay and designed/printed a couple of parts to adapt the plate to hold the CCL test tubes centered
The outer green section adapts the top plate of the stirrer back to a 70mm hole which then gets a test tube holder inserted. This allows for some flexibility in adapting other units if needed.
46551689781_0803b1d6d8_c.jpg
[/URL]_1013698 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unfortunately the magnetic capsule to suit are still in the mail so can't test it yet but it should work fine.

Happy to make the STL files available for anyone interested in printed their own.

Cheers and hope this might help some Aussie members if they can access a 3D printer.
Phil

Awesome! What type of 3D printer did you use?

I know in the US we have many 3D printing service companies so you don't need to own a 3D printer. Just send them the design file.

We have three at school BUT only one person knows how to use them and everything has to go through her. She will only print stuff that will fulfill an educational need so I am guessing the test kit holder would not be allowed :roll:

Awesome! What type of 3D printer did you use?

I know in the US we have many 3D printing service companies so you don't need to own a 3D printer. Just send them the design file.

Likely got a couple over this side of the pond but not common. I use a FlashForge Creator Pro, about 4yrs old now (maybe i can teach it to read) all metal hot ends now and i nearly exclusively print ABS. I've even used it to print the parts for a custom designed large Delta printer with a 600mm (2') round print bed and about 500mm height, it's used occasionally when i have something big to print.

- - - Updated - - -

We have three at school BUT only one person knows how to use them and everything has to go through her. She will only print stuff that will fulfill an educational need so I am guessing the test kit holder would not be allowed :roll:
Testing your pool water is chemistry and they teach that in school so there is a claim to educational use :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great Job Phil,

The magnetic stirrer stand/adaptor is an awesome application.

thanks, got to test it out tonight as the magnetic capsules to fit the test tubes turned up today so decided to test calcium hardness of my tap water.
Ch = 50
seems pretty low so I can change the setting in the coffee machine now :)
the stirrer made the test dead simple and this would seem to be a good option for us Aussies. The stirrer has for more grunt than we need but being fully adjustable it’s easy to set the speed just right
cheers
phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.