27'AG install in Kentucky in 10 days! With additional Patio and Deck build!

So how will you do the stairs? From where? What will you as skirting to finish that area up?

We haven't decided exactly how we are doing the skirting. Probably continuing with the Trex products to make the whole deck coherent. I know we want to make an access point to get under the deck, on the far side where the smaller section of the deck is.

Here is a pic of how we plan to do the stairs. They will come down to the patio. The gate will be at the bottom of the stairs. Since we have small children who will be operating the gate, my husband doesn't want them standing at the top of the stairs trying to get the gate open with hands full of things like towels, goggles, noodles, etc. and tumbling down. He also said he doesn't want the gate swinging open onto the deck area.

Yes, my husband did mention that he may do that. Or we could fill it in with more of the river rock since we still plan to finish going around the other side of the pool with that.
I would probably hit it with the river rock to keep the nice straight line of pavers. Did you tuck the decking under the top rail of the pool or meet it?
I struggled with that decision a bunch and we decided to have the boards meet the top rail at the same height. I wanted to build over them to give it a real in-ground look, but I think it would create problems with getting the top rail off if i ever really needed to.

I would probably hit it with the river rock to keep the nice straight line of pavers.
That's what my first choice is also. I would rather keep that line straight. Our original plan was to have the deck parallel with that line but the way the deck was designed, if it didn't hit center on the pool, we would lose A LOT more materials to waste and lose square footage on the deck area, unless we restructured the framing underneath. So we decided to swing it out just a bit so it is centered on the pool.
Did you tuck the decking under the top rail of the pool or meet it?
The decking is the same height as the top of the rail. We didn't but it right up against the rail, but left a gap wide enough to get your fingers in to be able to tuck the winter cover down under the lip of the rail. I'll get pictures of that to post later.

The decking is the same height as the top of the rail. We didn't but it right up against the rail, but left a gap wide enough to get your fingers in to be able to tuck the winter cover down under the lip of the rail. I'll get pictures of that to post later.
It's also handy to leave some space between deck and rail in case you need to replace the liner in the future. You won't need to remove any of the decking boards to access the old liner.

You beat me to it! I was planning to post an update first thing this morning but had to run out for additional supplies that we had not accounted for.
(Not the first trip of its kind! ;))
May 18, 2019 Over the weekend, we finished the flooring and installed the straight edge perimeter boards. We also got the post sleeves, skirts and caps installed. We also installed the new ladder!

We have one small corner left of the flooring to install. With the angle of the boards in that corner, there were no joists underneath to attach them to. With all our scraps used up, we had to wait to get another 2x8x8 to be able to finish that corner.

Sorry for the pool toys strewn about...

We had hoped to have the railings installed over the weekend as well. But as we were attempting to install the first one, we realized that the round black aluminum balusters had not been added to our railing order! Rather than rush out and buy some, we decided to wait until Monday morning to check with our rep at the Pro desk who had placed the order to see what happened. The 2x8x8 and the balusters are what I went out for this morning, along with a few other misc. items, including a deck box for all the pool toys! We will probably put the deck box on the patio though, not up on the deck.

I'll update with more pics as the railings go up this week! We are in a rush to install them because, as you can see in the pics, I have small children who have very easy access to the pool with the unsecured deck now in place!

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a nice view of the deck boards. You can also see how the boards meet the edge of the pool.
This evening we wanted to try and get some of the railing up before my husband's softball game.
May 20, 2019 First section of railing... turns out the black aluminum balusters we were sold this morning by the pro who neglected to put them on our original railing order are two inches longer than the trex balusters we were supposed to get. So the first rails had to be taken down and adjusted to compensate for that. UUUGH. Now there are visible screw holes in our (expensive!) post sleeves. The rest of the railings went smooth...
2nd section
3rd section
4th section! Just two sections left to do! But they will have to wait. :cautious:

Our contractor friend is stopping by tomorrow evening after work to help put together the stairs. Yay!!

Attachments

• IMG_8010 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8010 (Small).JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8018 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8018 (Small).JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 17
Gurrrrrrrrr on the holes! You have dropped many dimes on that deck and it looks awesome!!! SO close to being done!

Oh I just remembered an idea of what someone did for pole storage and such. They hung large, 4" I think but am not sure, UNDER their deck. This was for the vacuum hoses and poles. They did cap the far end to keep the stuff from being shoved out when by accident. Kept it out of sight but still right there by the pool!

Kim:kim:

May 21, 2019 As promised, our contractor friend came over in the evening to build us a proper way to get up onto the deck (stairs).

First two of four stringers.

We wanted white risers on the stairs. He placed the first fascia board to mark where to cut for the top riser and I stopped him! I got a glimpse of how the white would look around the base of the deck! I knew right then and there that white was the way to go! So he left that first board long instead of cutting it. We will need to get a good amount more of the white fascia boards to complete the rest of the way around the deck.

Now the treds go on. (Need to get another fascia board for the bottom riser.) My son was "building" with the scraps in the foreground. :love:

We have stairs!!!! He didn't have time to finish them last night. :cautious:
Still have posts, railings, gate, and white fascia on the sides of the stairs yet to do. But we have stairs!

We also got the fifth section of railing put on! Just one short 4' section left to do!
But it got so dark that we had children holding cell phone flashlights just to finish the fifth. So the last section had to wait.

In these two pics (above and below) you can see how sloped the yard is.
This was the side where we dug down 22" to get the pool level. We backfilled against the wall on this side.

I can't wait to see all the white fascia boards in place! But we still need to decide what we will use for the rest of the skirting...

Attachments

• IMG_8049 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8049 (Small).JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 6
Picture maximum reached in my last post... but I just had to include the view from the upstairs window...
We also got the deck box put together. It will remain on the patio rather than on the deck (though not in that spot). But after this pic I put it on the deck, for now, to block the stairs at the top. This is to deter my 2 year old from going up the stairs until we get the gate up!
And one more to show how we finally got those right hand corner boards in place (before the fifth railing went up).

Last edited:
Good call on the white board there! That really dresses it up nice!!

I say white plastic lattice!! It can be cut to size/shape and looks oh so pretty! It is very easy to work with. We even made a "hinge" of sorts using zip ties between two of them. Works like a charm to allow us access under the deck.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: AveMaria472
Looking great! I noticed that your pool is partially buried. Is that section by the patio with a low pool wall going to be a concern? The video below is why I ask. Don't worry - it's not pool/water/death related. She just had to use the bathroom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.