26K pool - is 60k SWG too big

ticoman

May 5, 2021
Virginia
Hi everyone,

I've decided on getting a CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS Salt Chlorine Generator after much research on this site and other places. However, before I buy, do you think 60k SWG is overkill for a 26k pool? Should I consider the 40k SWG? I have a single speed pump, not variable speed, so I'm thinking the bigger SWG capacity will help me avoid running the pump 24/7?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Welcome to TFP.

You should be able to find a pump runtime and % output setting that works for you with the RJ60 in your 26K pool.

Tico,

There is almost no such thing as having a SWCG that is too big... :mrgreen:

The bigger the cell the less you will have to run the pump.. This is important when you have a single speed pump.. With a VS pump, it does not matter, as you can run 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month. This allows you to constantly generate a little chlorine and keep the water skimmed at the same time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick reply. My pool builder says he's never seen the Circupool RJ SWG's. He was going to install a PureChlor, but after sending back the brand new salt generator three times because it was leaking, he wanted to do a Jandy TruClear. I told him I was just going to get the Circupool RJ because the Jandy TruClear didn't get good reviews here or on some of the online sellers' websites either. He said he would discount me the Jandy TruClear and let me buy the Circupool myself. He would install it but would not warranty it for labor. It's a risk, but I just want something that won't be a pain to maintain since I'll be doing the pool maintenance. Thanks again everyone.

ticoman,
My pool is slightly bigger (a tad under 30k gallons), I have the Pentair Intellichlor IC40 rated to produce 1.40 Lbs chlorine per 24 hours, I run the IC40 from 8:00am to 8:30pm (12.5 hours) and usually at 80% or 100% capacity during the summer here in west-central Florida. So it has to run pretty hard to make enough chlorine and barely keeps up. When this cell dies I will definitely replace it with a 60k SWG, either the IC60 (2 Lbs chlorine per 24 hours) or maybe another brand with higher chlorine production. I have a variable speed pump that I normally run at ~1800 RPM when generating chlorine, but the pump is right outside our bedroom window, even with hurricane impact windows we can hear it inside, so I don't like to run the pump at night.

So I think you're on the right track looking at a 60k SWG if you only want to run your pump during the day. Looks like you're in Virginia, I'm not too familiar with the climate there during the summer (compared to Florida), so if you're a little milder you may be able to get away with a 40k cell, but you'll have to run it longer and/or at higher output setting. Good luck!

Thanks, LapPoolMike. Yes, I am in Virginia. Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully, I can get by with running the pump 12 hours a day with a bigger SWG. Naturally, I'll have to dial in the settings.
With your size pool and the swg @ 100%
5 or 6 hours would do the job- netting you around 3-4ppm fc/day.
obviously you could lower the percentage & increase the run time. I like having the pool running when I’m looking at it (waking hours) so it’s skimming debris.
Play around with effects of adding in PoolMath to get an idea of how u might wanna do it to get your starting point.
Like Jim said- there’s really no such thing as too big of a swg as it pertains to residential pools. You’re just setting yourself up for shorter pump runtimes ($$ in the bank) & a long swg cell life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.