3/4" clear limestone for backfill on a steel wall pool

Butcher

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
Is 3/4 clear crushed limestone suitable material to use for backfill on a steel wall pool? Just wondering if the sharp corners would dent the steel walls.

Thanks in advance,

The isze of the aggregate is fine, not sure about the material. i dont see anything wrong with it though. Only thing is i would not use stone to backfill the entire thing. I would put about 2.5 feet of stone then finish off with some processed gravel. The reason is that the stone will not compact like processed material will. You need a good, compacted base for your pool deck to sit on whether you use concrete or pavers. You cant get good enough compaction with pure stone like you can with gravel.

Thanks for the reply.
I believe 3/4 clear crushed limestone goes in at a compaction rate of about 98%. Up here it is what's used under concrete slabs for basements and garages. It also has fantastic drainage properties. I am just a little concerned about the sharp corners denting the steel walls. Don't want to have a pool wall that resembles a golf ball. I could go with pea gravel though.

I used that size but it was crushed concrete and was a lot cheaper. I also after compacting it, waterered it down a lot!!!! and got about 6" more compaction. that was 2 years ago and I poured concrete 2 weeks after the back fill and have yet to have a crack. Just make sure that if you are compacting near the poolm that it is full, as a empty pool could distort and cave in, btw we have the same humpback kidney pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.