26' Intex - Planning, Install, Upgrades, and Landscaping Thread

The joys of chlorine!!! It is already going blue/clear!
Yeah if you catch it before it's gone too far it's amazing how fast it works!

Update: Tightened up the adapter and a lot more than I expected squeezed out. I wiped it off but it was hardening up, hopefully it didn't pull out of the joint. I used a finger to smooth a small bead onto the inside of the joint.
full

Then applying it to the skimmer.
full

Screwed in the adapter.
full

This is the end of that gasket maker. It was very old, I used it once many years ago. It started drying through the lid, I poked a hole and some would squeeze out, then stop. I'd stick a screwdriver in then some would squeeze out, then stop. I got annoyed and stomped on it and it split open. I applied it to these joints by hand. At least I got one more use out of it before I threw it away. Oh, and the reason it wasn't squeezing was a "plug" almost a 1/4" thick and the size of the entire top of the tube had hardened over time.
full

Finally I'm glad I got at least a quad outlet installed by the pool. The Intex pump with the built-in GFCI takes up one side, and the two lights I got take up the other two outlets. I'm thinking I'll add in at least another duplex box. That way we can have somewhere near the pool to have a phone or speaker charging station, or if I need an outlet for a tool while working out in the yard.
full

Oh, and an aside. I've seen people here say "you can't have two GFCI's in line with each other, they will trip." That always seemed not logical to me. If the GFCI is tripping, it's either cause it's doing it's job or it's bad, not because there are two in line with each other. The outlet is GFCI, as required for an outdoor outlet. I plug the GFCI Intex plug into this GFCI outlet. It ran all summer without issue.

I'm happy to report the sealant worked, no leaks. Yesterday I filled up the pool just enough so the skimmer worked without the weir door. I want the weir door to work obviously but we've got rain coming this week, up to an inch in the next day and I didn't want to fill to the top only to drain immediately. I'll have to drain enough over the spring as it is due to rain. I would have just let it sit and fill up but since I wanted the skimmer running draining is the price to pay for that.

Robot is on the delivery truck so hopefully an update on that later tonight. Maybe I'll even attempt to use my fancy iPhone to capture a time-lapse of it cleaning up the bottom of the messy pool!

That’s the FIRST thing I noticed !!! My Covid stash has come in handy sooooooo many times.
Covid stash? This was just my general purpose "messy work" gloves. I got them especially for working on cars. I even remember to wear them 1/3 of the time! 🤣

Wow! Just over a gallon did that. Loves me that chlorine!
I'm guessing it's because it was just starting, and not full on swamp, so there wasn't a lot (yet) to clear up. But another week? Probably a whole different story.

Reactions: Newdude
Well, here it is. First use. I think I need to try the other axle position cause it seems to avoid the middle of the pool most of the time. I cleaned the filter halfway through and swapped sides on the axel pin while I was at it.

At the very end it just drives to the other side of the pool and sits there. That’s when I came out, saw it wasn’t moving, and took out the filter for cleaning. Not sure what was up, it still seemed to be pumping water and reversing the flow. Perhaps the filter was too full or perhaps something got stuck in the flapper. I’ll look tomorrow.

Reactions: Leebo
Well, here it is. First use. I think I need to try the other axle position cause it seems to avoid the middle of the pool most of the time. I cleaned the filter halfway through and swapped sides on the axel pin while I was at it.

At the very end it just drives to the other side of the pool and sits there. That’s when I came out, saw it wasn’t moving, and took out the filter for cleaning. Not sure what was up, it still seemed to be pumping water and reversing the flow. Perhaps the filter was too full or perhaps something got stuck in the flapper. I’ll look tomorrow.
I just let mine do its thing, and check back a couple of hours later. It cleans the whole pool, even though it looks like it isn’t going to. So you might want to just leave it and see what happens. Also, yours is set to “large pool” correct?

Also, I use the tightest setting on the axle pin - the innermost one.

Reactions: jseyfert3
@jseyfert3 seeing you open already has got me itching to do the same. My pool is covered but I reached in and pulled out some water through the skimmer this past weekend just to see where things are at. FC down to 2.5. I’d like to add more but no great way to do it with the cover on and plumbing disconnected. Maybe next weekend, if the extended forecast still looks decent. But I’ll be watching you for any regrets first. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Full filter bag from last night.
full

Inside out to dump. Content to the upper left of bag, hard to see on the mulch/grass background. Look at all that fine junk the filter bag gets! My manual vacuum would get this too but then I'd have to backwash the filter afterwards, so this little guy should cut down on the amount of backwashing I need to do!
full

All rinsed and put back in. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to use the little black clips? They came installed but there's no mention of them in the manual.
full

Set my pin to the inner setting.
full

I threw it back in the pool and turned on the control box and nothing happened. Finally I realized...I hadn't plugged the unit back into the control box!
full

I just let mine do its thing, and check back a couple of hours later. It cleans the whole pool, even though it looks like it isn’t going to. So you might want to just leave it and see what happens. Also, yours is set to “large pool” correct?

Also, I use the tightest setting on the axle pin - the innermost one.
Yes I have it set to large pool.

The pin position I moved it to in the picture above?

Full filter bag from last night.
full

Inside out to dump. Content to the upper left of bag, hard to see on the mulch/grass background. Look at all that fine junk the filter bag gets! My manual vacuum would get this too but then I'd have to backwash the filter afterwards, so this little guy should cut down on the amount of backwashing I need to do!
full

All rinsed and put back in. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to use the little black clips? They came installed but there's no mention of them in the manual.
full

Set my pin to the inner setting.
full

I threw it back in the pool and turned on the control box and nothing happened. Finally I realized...I hadn't plugged the unit back into the control box!
full

Yes I have it set to large pool.

The pin position I moved it to in the picture above?
With wheels just like that, I put the pin in this hole to hold the axis close to machine. I guess it doesn’t matter, effect is the same!

AA04087D-898F-4698-A84B-624B4B559618.jpeg

With wheels just like that, I put the pin in this hole to hold the axis close to machine. I guess it doesn’t matter, effect is the same!

View attachment 316992
Hmm. So as I had it it missed this circle in the middle of the pool about 10' in diameter. Got everything else though. So I took your advise and left the pin in the hole closest to the machine and put the axle behind the pin instead of in front. At first glance it seems like it's running over the middle of the pool, or at least closer. I'm taking another timelapse video to review.

I got an extra bag (a general bag instead of the name brand one) that allowed me to just throw the dirty bag in the washing washing machine!
This is a great idea! Rinsing off the bag outside when it was 47 °F and windy this morning wasn't exactly fun. On the plus side after several cleanings of my super dirty winter pool after another cycle or two the floor will be back to normal. The water is nice and sparkling. If only the water wasn't also 47 °F right now!

@jseyfert3 seeing you open already has got me itching to do the same. My pool is covered but I reached in and pulled out some water through the skimmer this past weekend just to see where things are at. FC down to 2.5. I’d like to add more but no great way to do it with the cover on and plumbing disconnected. Maybe next weekend, if the extended forecast still looks decent. But I’ll be watching you for any regrets first. :cool:
No regrets, at least so far. I figured I didn't really have a choice given it was going green. The downsides to not covering. The only downside is testing and emptying the cleaner's bag when it's cold and windy like today. But other than that the water looks great now.

Reactions: magiteck
New position, pin closes to body, axle behind pin. It got the center but the cord got wrapped up really fast which quickly prevented it from getting to the right side and ended up keeping it from doing anything but moving in an arc too.

My cord usually has a couple of twists, but even twisted it still has plenty of slack to get to other side of pool.

Now that stairs are in, I have to keep an eye on it, getting stuck at far side of stairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.