26' Intex - Planning, Install, Upgrades, and Landscaping Thread

Here it is! Hope you enjoy. It's rather long. As mentioned I did give a voiceover over most of it, plus some generic background music that iMovie has. If you don't care to, or cannot listen but want to know what I said anyway, I'm working on typing up captions and I'll probably finish that up in the next half hour or so.

Unfortunately the quality is not great. I recorded with a Wyze camera which already didn't have great quality and outputted a MP4, which means it was already compressed. Then iMovie had to take this and stitch together a movie which was then re-compressed into a playable video format before YouTube then took it and probably re-processed it yet again. I probably won't use the Wyze for timelapse videos like these in the future.

I watched the end again. While I appreciate the construction, I most like the people. The girl that just had to get in, the neighbors pretending to trim the tree or pick the fruit, whatever, just as a way of reminding you that they'll need to be invited over often. And of course, the Mrs at the end: the ultimate resolution to all your hard work!

The fast time lapse of the sunny day was really cool, too.

The music definitely makes your pool look bigger! ;)

Reactions: jseyfert3
I watched the end again. While I appreciate the construction, I most like the people. The girl that just had to get in, the neighbors pretending to trim the tree or pick the fruit, whatever, just as a way of reminding you that they'll need to be invited over often. And of course, the Mrs at the end: the ultimate resolution to all your hard work!

The fast time lapse of the sunny day was really cool, too.

The music definitely makes your pool look bigger! ;)
They had some people over, were playing games in the backyard. We actually never did have them over as we intended, betweeen COVID, camping, and otherwise just being exhausted from this entire project it never happened in the two or two and a half months of swimming we had by the time the pool was ready to swim. I am planning on having them over this year, hopefully there will be some landscaping, I can fire up the smoker and do a pulled pork or a brisket and we do some swimming, beer drinking, and talking.

The timelapse makes me wish that I had done a timelapse of the fence project too.

Many pauses and then going back to re hear then writing I bet!
Yes. Usually 3-4 times for each section of audio! It was at least an hour and a half to transcribe the 10 minutes of video!

Chump change. What's the total? Rule of thumb for amateur video is an hour per minute (that's for everything, start to finish).

Chump change. What's the total? Rule of thumb for amateur video is an hour per minute (that's for everything, start to finish).
Not sure. Besides the transcription I spend several hours today messing with the background music and doing voiceover. And prior to that I spend several hours in Feb putting the various timelapse videos together and editing out parts that had nothing going on. I could easily see it having taken ten hours or so total to do everything. And there's not even a lot here!

Of course editing this on a computer instead of a phone would have made some parts easier to do. OTOH a computer would add additional features and improvements so would it have been faster or would it just have been additional editing to make a better video and spend the same (or more) time?

Oh man now I'm annoyed. I should have waited a bit longer. YouTube did a set of auto-generated captions which are probably 99% accurate. It just took it a little bit to generate them. Had I waited, there's an option to edit the automatically generated captions! So I could have had YouTube write the first draft then do a really quick edit of them. Not only that but the auto ones plop the words onscreen in-sync with them being spoken, which was entirely too much work to do by hand. Ah well. Lesson learned for next time. Wait, let it auto-generate, edit any mistakes from the remarkably good auto-generated captions.

If you're curious, both sets of captions are available. Just click the little gear icon, go to subtitles, and there is "english" (mine) and "auto-generated". I watched about a minute and only noticed one or two small errors that didn't affect the comprehension of the video.

Yay! But you can’t name him Junior, I have that locked down. Lol

He’s in doing his vacuuming as we speak!
Lol. I'm sure my wife will assign a name once we get it. I can't wait till we get it though, since I did not have a cover there's some junk that needs to be cleaned up and I cannot vacuum as the pump is not installed yet and I think I want to wait another week or two before hooking that up. But the Rover Jr could be thrown in right now and clean that all up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great video! I remember reading about how you raised it to install the blocks, but I couldn’t picture it. Nice to actually see it in action!

Lol. I'm sure my wife will assign a name once we get it.
Did you see the thread where someone was applying custom-cut stickers to everything, including a face for her 'bot? That'd be a fun project for the wifey. Of course, when all your guests come to swim, they won't notice any of the back-breaking work you did, just the face... whaddyagonnado? 🤪

• Haha
Lights! I realized the pool had melted, so I should try the lights! I put a single one in to see how it would look, was underwelmed, got the second one, and the lighting is decent with the two of them.

I'm still blown away how good a job my phone can do with night photos, so keep in mind this is slightly exaggerated compared to the naked eye. The side furthest from the two lights is dim-ish, but still perfectly adequate to see a person, so I'd say the lighting does what it's supposed to do. And once the pool is full and the lights are further below the surface, refraction will probably increase the total amount of light in the pool.
full

View from up top, with really exaggerated lighting. However this shows both the inside and outside lights. The outside ones are pretty dim in real life, so they won't glare into any house windows but they are just enough to see where you are walking when coming up to the pool.
full

Then there's this weird thing going on in my pool. It's hard to tell in this photo but these leaves are floating halfway between the bottom and the top. And they are doing it all over my pool. Never seen this before. The only thing I can think of is there's a thermocline in my pool, but it seems rather shallow for one of those to form.
full

Anyhow, yes, I know, my pool is FILTHY! That's what happens when you overwinter without a cover under some trees. This weekend will get back up in the 50's, I'll net out the majority of the leaves then throw in the Aquabot Pool Rover Jr to clean up the bottom, cause that's shipped and will arrive Friday! I'll also throw in couple gallons of bleach and mix that in while I'm at it, just for good measure as the water starts warming up.

Reactions: Newdude
As you can see in the pics, there was a slight greenish tint to the water. This slight greenish tint is slowly changing to a not so slight greenish tint. I'll be stopping by the store to grab a few gallons of chlorine after work. If I bring it up to SLAM levels it should clear up pretty dang fast. I'll also start netting out leaves this weekend.

Unfortunately the Rover Jr was delayed and instead of coming today it's now scheduled for delivery Monday. I was hoping to get the pool all nice and shiny this weekend.

Ugh. Water temp is 42 °F. I’ll be heading to the store this morning to grab chlorine of some sort. It appears Menard’s has 16 gallons of their 12.5% $3.99/gal chlorine in stock, so I’ll check there first.
full

My CYA is at 20, so I popped in 154 oz of 12.5% and brushed it. That was for 10 ppm of FC, but I forgot the pool is low so it's a bit higher than that. In any case, this is the pool now!
full

Note that it is filling. I figured with it going green already and all the leaves the best way to deal with it is to open it! So I drug out the pump and filter and started putting things together.

First up I opened up the filter to check the sand level. About 1/4 the way between min and max. Also some "fibery" stuff on the surface. I skimmed off the junk on the top of the sand with my hand, at least the majority of it, then topped up the sand level.
full

Whatever fibery stuff this was, it was on the multi-port filter screen. So I took it off and pressure washed it, after trying to use a hose but it wasn't getting it all out.
full

full

The intakes that come with the pool use this double hose setup, as seen in this picture from last year.
full

Unfortunately the mating valve of those two small hoses broke last fall from ice damage, cause I waited just a tad too long to winterize the pool. Also note the cheap oring that has cracked already.
full

I haven't been using these intakes since I installed my skimmer so if I could just figure out a way to plug them I'd be all set to fill. The way it works is there is a rubber tube that's glued or welded to the wall of the pool. A hard plastic pipe with a screen slides into this from the inside of the pool, and the hose goes over the rubber tube and clamps down on it.
full

I remembered I had some plastic plug looking pieces, so I looked through the "leftover" pool parts box. There were two black plastic plugs, labeled as "intake screen plugs" or something like that. They looked like the right diameter so I slid them into the rubber tubes from the inside of the pool and after a little bit of filling it looks like they seal just fine!
full

Then that left the skimmer connection. If you recall from last year I got an adapter that screwed into the skimmer and the Intex hose screwed into that. But it was a cheap adapter and I had some trouble getting the hose to seal to the adapter. Same issue this year, only I couldn't get it to seal at all. On top of that the oring that sealed the adapter to the skimmer had cracked...yet another cheap oring.
full

With a lack of Intex style hose gaskets and a quick search showing no orings big enough in stock, I remembered I had a tube of gasket maker in my toolbox. I pulled that out and I'm going to attempt to use that to seal the hose to the adapter and the adapter to the skimmer.
full

It's not meant for plastic, but if it works, great! If not, I'll have to figure out something else, but it'll delay my pool opening. The instructions are to tighten until it starts squishing out, then wait an hour, then tighten to normal torque. I applied it to the hose and the adapter, and in ten minutes I'll tighten that up then apply it to the adapter to skimmer joint. It says allow 24 hours for liquid use after applying so I'll fill the pool up to the bottom of the skimmer tonight, then tomorrow afternoon I'll test the joint and if all is good finish filling up the pool and start up the pump.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.