24x52 with 10k gal pump, need to upgrade?

cfherrman

TFP Guide
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
Ran my 12" or 13" 42lb 3/4 hp 10k gallon rated eBay special sand pump last 3 years 24/7 during the season on my tiny 12x30" pool and now I'm upgrading to a monster 24'x52" pool around 13.5k gallons. I am installing two main drains and a wide mouth skimmer. What is the recommended pump combo between these options.

1. Run my pump 24/7 like all last few years

2. Purchase a 2nd identical pump at $117 and have one on the skimmer and one on the main drains.

3. Purchase a 1 hp 19" 175 lb 18k eBay special sand pump for $190 and sell my old one for $60-$80.

4. Purchase a name brand sand pump for more money then I have to spend.

Thanks for the help!

Option 5) purchase one pump and one stand alone filter and size them appropriately for the job at hand.

Yup... I vote for option 5.

Stop running the pump 24/7 and you'll save enough money to pay for the new parts. Pools don't need that many hours run time.

Maddie :flower:

Looking at some pump sizing info, a desired turnover is three a day or once every three hours. My pump should be 2400 gph when new. That shows a turnover at 5.6 hours. Sounds like I can try to use this pump and throw a timer on it to be on 3/4 of the day.

Thanks for any help

Don't pay ANY attention to desired turnover - that's more for commercial pools.

As far as equipment - Do you have brand / model of the pump ? The existing pump may be adequate, in which all you would need to replace is the filter.

General rule on filters - bigger is better, there is no such think as too big. A smaller filter just needs to be cleaned / backwashed more often.

For a 13k pool, I would suggest a 1 hp 2 speed pump and a 24" (or larger) sand filter.

Yes, a lot of money but you'll get your money back pretty quick being able to operate on low speed 90% of the time.

heres the link to one that looks exactly like the one i bought, some list 30 gpm (1800 gph), some list 1584 gph, others list at 2400 gph, but all these look exactly the same. This listing has a good picture of the labels i will compare them to mine. I would also like to "future proof" the pump and sand filter by getting something bigger if the money allows that will work for a bigger pool down the road, if money allows.

• 13" Sand Filter
    * Design Flow Rate: 1584 GPH
    * Max. Working Pressure: 50 PSI (3.5 Bar)
    * Filter Area: 0.78 Square Feet
    * Required Filter Sand Type: 0.45mm-0.56mm
    * Required Sand: 42 Lbs
    * Overall Size: 13" Dia. x 24" H
  • 3/4 HP Pool Pump
    * Speed: 3450 RPM
    * Voltage: 115 V
    * Max. Head: 32-3/4 Ft
    * Max. Flow: 2400GPH
    * Max. Temp: 113 Degree Fahrenheit(45 Degree Celsius)
    * Overall Size: 17"L x 5-1/4 "W x 8-3/4 "H
    * Inlet/Outlet Size: 1-1/2" Dia.
    * Power Cord: 64"

Above Ground Swimming Pool 13 3/4HP Pump System Intex Pool 4Valve | eBay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool is too big for any of Intex's offerings. I had the 14" sandfilter w/ 3/4HP pump, I was backwashing twice a month on average, almost weekly in the spring (under trees). My pool is only 6700 gallons and their second largest system was too small.

I also recommend at least a 24" sandfilter and 1HP pump.

There is a huge difference in skimmer and suction cleaner performance with my new Hayward equipment (see sig), I'm talking night & day difference.

yeah i skip over any of the intex pumps, my current pump is way bigger at 75% the price. Im not sure why anybody is mentioning intex.

I did look at the hayward 24" and 1 hp 2 speed matrix, setup is about $600, its either that or going with a china ebay special 19" w/ 1 hp at $189.

Is a hayward or similar really worth 2x-3x the price over a china special? My china special has done 3 summers at 24/7 and have only had to disassemble and clean the sand filter last summer.

thanks for the replies

Haha I never heard that before. I did some thinking and here is my plan.

I'm going to run my undersized pump most likely 24/7, the cost of it will be the same as last year, or 3/4 of the time. This will be a temporary setup which I planned on doing from the get go. I have main drains coming and and still have to buy a small amount of PVC. I still need to purchase a wide mouth skimmer and some other things like tft100. After a month or less of running like this if it runs ok I will save up money for the Hayward pump and filter, if it gives me issues I will have to buy a China pump sooner.

I did a bunch of research and looking at pump curves. Looking at China v brand name I've figured out the difference.

China pumps rate their hp off the motor HP and not the pump hp, China impellers with match the volumes of brand name, but can only handle half the feet head. So in short a China pump hp should really be divided by two and then maybe compared to the brand name. It will be harder to find parts.

Hope this helps anybody that comes across it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.