Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water... still

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water... still

Please help me!!! I've been trying to get my pool swim-ready for 3 weeks and it's still cloudy. Here's the story...
    When we opened it, it had a lot of algae (was really green), no chlorine and no cya. The pool company added liquid chlorine and algecide. They also said that the CH was low and had me add a powder to increase it.
    The water is now blue but very cloudy and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I can only see about a foot or two down. I'm keeping the chlorine at shock level - the stores must think I'm crazy from all the bleach I'm buying!!!

Here's my numbers:
    FC: 16
    CC: 1.0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 140
    CH: 340
    CYA: 60

I have an above-ground pool (apx 17,000 gal) with a sand filter.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Rebecca

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: cloudy water... still

Hi, Rebecca,

You're gonna' hate this answer but you need more chlorine. Bring your FC up to around 20-25ppm and HOLD IT THERE adding as often as you need to so it never slips below 20.

That added chlorine, plus brushing, plus backwashing if needed will clear your pool up. Are you seeking out (and cleaning) any places where Algae can still be lurking? For example, inside your ladder or under the steps?

You're pretty close but you need to really hit the pool hard with chlorine and diligent cleaning and it will be sparkling clear.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks... I forgot to mention that these numbers are before I added more bleach to bring it back up to shock level...

4. Back To Top    #4

Might the CH level be contributing to the cloudiness? I have a vinyl liner and I've never had to do anything with adjusting that level before. According to my testing, my tap water has a level of 280...

thanks,
    Rebecca

5. Back To Top    #5

duraleigh is probably right. However, it is remotely possible that the CH is contributing to the cloudiness. You could try bringing the PH down to 7.0. That will clear up any cloudiness related to CH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

laughing here at""" ALL THE CLORINE..."" I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE my pool sat for a year without a pump running. it is clean again but my pool is not clearing up. im into it 100 gallons of bleach and 3 weeks of a lot of work and finally I posted for help yesterday.

there are so many sucess stories here so i know this works. it has not worked for me. YET

MY SUGESTION is to read more stories of people who finally got it done and know you can do it too. The key thing was testing the water with a good tester and lots of bleach, along with a lot of cleaning. it seems the GREEN NASTY POOL owners, were so unhappy then one day it started looking good and a few days later it was almost perfect.

good luck..
    inground plaster pool 19,000 gallons 14x 34 4 feet sloping to 9 feet. 1.5 hp hayward super pump. sand filter. first time pool owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright... I may just be impatient, but my cc is .5 and has been for a couple of days. The water is looking a bit better. (I can now kind of see the center drain) but - now I'm wondering about the sand filter possibly not working good enough. I've been backwashing after it rises about 8 psi, but I've read some posts about adding DE to the sand filter. Is this something I should do? If so, where do you actually buy DE?

thanks,
    Rebecca

8. Back To Top    #8

yes, you can add de to a sand filter. Ive had success with 1lb of de. ONly problem is pool stores usually sell it in large bags ( 10 and 25lbs)
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

9. Back To Top    #9

sand filters take forever to clear dead algae. Its an added expense, but pool first aid, made by natural chemistrys really helps clear cloudy water fast from dead algae particals. I know alot of ppl here dont like using anything but bleach, but sometimes ya just need to get it over with and do what it takes to get it clear. Otherwise by the time you do clear it, it will be time to put the cover back on!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, sand filters can take longer to clear a pool. One can wait with shock levels if one has patience, but if one doesn't have the patience or if for some reason it's not having much improvement using chlorine alone after a week, then there are several extra cost options available. Adding DE to a sand filter is an easy and inexpensive approach to improve filtration. As you mentioned, Natural Chemistry Pool First Aid is an enzyme product with a clarifier. You can just go the clarifier route using something like BioGuard Polysheen Blue or the flocculant route (assuming one can vacuum-to-waste) with OMNI Liquid Floc Plus. All extra cost, but can speed things up so its a cost/convenience/speed tradeoff. [EDIT] Note this post regarding only using Polysheen Blue with sand filters. [END-EDIT]
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Yea!!! Thanks for your encouragement and support! I now have an almost perfectly sparkling pool!
    This site is amazing!!!

thanks,
    Rebecca

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Rebecca,

Congrats!! Did you stick with just elevating your chlorine or did you add a claifier or did you do both?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Just bleach... and I put a sock in the skimmer basket to help collect the smaller particles.
    Man - that POP is tough!

Rebecca