Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 out of 3 jets work

1. Back To Top    #1

1 out of 3 jets work

i have 3 jets and only one is functional, is that o.k.?
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 1 out of 3 jets work

That's not really okay. I would fix the others. Why do they not work?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i have no idea why they dont work, i just bought this house and i know nothing of the pools history. i just found two more jets in the stair case (left and right) on the bottom stair, and they dont work either, all the ones that dont work were all caped except the one that does work. their are no valves or anything of that nature for them, so i assume they were disconnected underground, maybe there was some kind of repair and they didnt reconnect them i really just dont know!
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A pool that size needs more than one return. I would make it a priority to fix the others.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Do the caps look temporary or permanent? If they are temporary winterizing plugs, the pool may simply never have been fully opened for the season. It is possible to get by with only one return, but more are much better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

i am in the process of opening as we speak, the caps all screwed right off (finger tight) but i took one off on the stair and needed pliers and it had some kind of sealent on the cap got all over my hands and could not get it off even w/ soap and water.

i assume the only fix is to dig? cause if thats the case i will be staying w/ the one jet. money to tight right now, (just laid off)

7. Back To Top    #7

Before you give up, make sure that they aren't just turned off by a valve somewhere. It is relatively uncommon for return lines to be plugged and abandoned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

no there arent any valves just the one for the bypass, the return just goes right in to the ground and straight (inline)to the one jet that works.
    i assume thats where the disconnection is.

9. Back To Top    #9

It sounds like it is worth doing some archeology to try and figure out what is going on and how things were originally installed. The more you describe, the more it sounds like digging under the deck, but there are still a few ways things might work out more easily. For example, I wonder if there was originally another pipe at the equipment pad. It might be buried now, but often there is some evidence of it having been there.

10. Back To Top    #10

well my deck is really easy to dig up, its just brick on sand no mortar or concrete, w/ 6x6 lumber every 8' or so, its a very simple design i had to fix a few bricks one time cause they caved in. so actually im very fortunate in that respect.

its really bothering me now cause i keep looking at all those jets, and wishing they were on and circulating my water the way they were meant to.
    not to mention the curiosity is killing me, im dying to see what happened and why!

11. Back To Top    #11

There's a chance that they were abandoned because of pipe failure

If the stair returns are the kind we install, you can try putting a screwdriver into the small hole inside the inlets to see if there isn't debris blocking them (do this with the system on)

As we so often say - pics would help
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

the stairs i think were meant to be capped permanantly, it took a ton of force to open one and it was glued/siliconed, there was no blockage.