Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains in pool

Hi,
    Just opened our pool are are relatively new to this process. We had some stains last year, but more appeared over the winter. I dropped a few vit. c tabs on some of the stains and they came right out. The pool store tested our water and said I need to balance it before using ascorbic acid or it won't work. My concern is they want me to raise the alkalinity, which I think will also raise the pH and I thought the pH should be low for the acid to work? They also said I need to raise the calcium or hardness. Should I do all this before or after using the acid? The test results are as follows:

CYA - 70
    tot. chlorine - 7
    free chlorine - 7
    pH - 7.3
    tot. alk. - 93
    adj. tot. alk. - 72
    tot. hardness - 125

Any help is greatly appreciated. We live in Warrenton, VA and our pool is plaster/30,000 gallons/inground/with a DE filter. I'm not sure how long some of the stains have been there as we are the second owners.
    Thanks in advance!!!,
    Lisa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains in pool

I would not raise the alkalinity, but do raise the calcium/hardness. For a plaster pool we recommend TA at 70 to 90, and CH at 250 to 350.

I would go ahead and add perhaps half or 2/3rds of the calcium now, and then do the rest later.

Have you read the topic on doing the ascorbic acid treatment?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Stains in pool

Thanks Jason ... will do. Thanks also for the link to the ascorbic acid topic!